t5 to c4 swap need info

91lxntch

Sep 27, 2003
altoona,p.a
i know this has been asked a million times but i want to swap this out and i need a detailed list of what to purchase and get for the swap ..does anyone have any good links for info...also if anyone is willing to trade plus i could give cash as well let me know..i can give a complete list of everything i got
lots of new parts and upgrades as well as 50,000 mile trans...im willing to pretty much do what it takes to get a c4 auto...or maybe a lentech aod ....but really want c4

• Sponsors (?)

Here are some links for C-4 info: http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/c4.html and http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=9911&forum=13&25 Besides the actual transmission you will need the blockplate, flexplate,converter and bellhousing.These have to be matched up as there are different sizes of bells and different converter bolt patterns.The first link will explain this better.You can use your original T-5 crossmember and mount but the crossmember will have to be adjusted to line up with the mounting location on the C-4.You grind down the tack welds on the tubes at either end and slide the crossmember to where you want it and re-weld.Standard and auto cars use a different exhaust hanger mount that is sandwiched in the transmission mount assembly, you may have to change this or modify it.Driveshaft is the same,starter is the same. You have to change the speedometer gear to the automatic style.You will probably need an aftermarket shifter unless you pull a C-4 and floor shifter out of the same car.The shift lever on the transmission is different for floor and console shift C-4's and there can be conflicts if you get a transmission from one car and a shifter from another.You will also need a transmission cooler and some lines to plumb it.You can change your pedal assembly over to the automatic style but some people just leave it in place and hide the clutch pedal as it won't be needed,just remember to bypass the starter safety swith on the clutch pedal if you have one.Pan fill C-4's only come in 164 tooth but case fill can be either 157 or 164.You might have problems with long tube headers if you use a 164 tooth.If you find a C-4 in the wreckers from an early 80's vehicle it might be a C-5.These are OK but you will need to get a C-4 bellhousing,converter and valve body unless you want a lock-up style converter.

well thanks for all the info ..does anyone have a parts car that they would like to part out ..originally i was trying to trade my 50,000 mile t5 complete system clutch and short shifter etcetc.....clutch has about 200 miles on it for a c4 kit and id throw some money there way to so if you hear of anyone let me know , i do allready have a c4 with bellhousing from a mustang it needs rebuilt but before i do all that id liek to see about all the other things if i can do it id like to , ive checked everyjunk yard they all have c4's but no cars for the rest...