Engine Tapping The #5 Runner

• Sponsors (?)

It's for the ACT (air temperature) sensor on some lower intakes (Explorer). There's a flat-spot there but it's not tapped. Personally I'd just keep it / put it in the intake tube where it was supposed to be in the first place.

I think that's only done when you're switching to a '93 or older MAF ECU (which also requires some wiring and sensor changes). The older systems used the air temp sensor mounted in the intake manifold runner, but they moved it into the zip tube (rubber tube between the MAF and TB) on the '94 and up systems. The two locations read quite a bit different.

If you don't match the sensor location with the ECU type / strategy, all of the temp based compensations will be messed up and the car will run strange and have hot re-start issues.

I think that's only done when you're switching to a '93 or older MAF ECU (which also requires some wiring and sensor changes). The older systems used the air temp sensor mounted in the intake manifold runner, but they moved it into the zip tube (rubber tube between the MAF and TB) on the '94 and up systems. The two locations read quite a bit different.

If you don't match the sensor location with the ECU type / strategy, all of the temp based compensations will be messed up and the car will run strange and have hot re-start issues.
Thanks for input. I was looking at some ebay gt40 intakes. But have decided to get a top end kit instead.
Was trying to save a buck or 2, but ultimately you get what u pay for.