Teksid block

jsk1020

May 9, 2009
I am looking to get an 01' cobra and I hear some of the lucky few acquired them with the Teksid block instead of the Windsor. I understand the Teksid is a lot better, so if I am looking to buy a cobra how would I got about getting one with the Teksid block/knowing the difference when looking? Also how many do you think were made?

• Sponsors (?)

That number is always up to debate, some say as low as 150, some say more. The interesting part is that nobody really has an idea if it's up until a certain build date either. The Teksids were used on Cobra motors through the 1999 model year, and with the Cobra fiasco, there were some leftover for the 2001 run. I have also seen and heard of people with replacement motors that were Teksid blocks.

Without disassembling anything, I don't think there is any one noticeable sign between the two (if anybody does know, please share). The dead giveaway would be looking at the valley once the intake manifold is off. If you've got squares, it's Teksid, if you've got a diamond pattern with a couple of circular spots, it's WAP.

All things being equal, the blocks are both plenty strong, while it's nice to have one, there aren't too many people pushing either to the limits which they shine. They also share a common weakness, which are their internals. If you're going with a forced induction setup, it'd be in your best interest to upgrade those limiting factors. The forged crank is fantastic, but it's hard to say that for the rest.

The wap isn't bad. Unless you take off the intake manifold before you buy the car the only way I can think of to be sure is to get a 99. After that, you switch out the rods and pistons then it's time for boost.:Track:

Do you plan on making excess of 800-1000hp? If not, don't stress yourself over the thought of the '01 Cobra having a Teksid block or not. The fact of the matter is, all Modular blocks after '96 are tough. Even the weakest of the bunch will hold well over 600hp and even then I've not seen one break at or beyond that. The block isn't the problem with these engines, its the rods and pistons that need to be addressed. Concentrate on those.

Do you plan on making excess of 800-1000hp? If not, don't stress yourself over the thought of the '01 Cobra having a Teksid block or not. The fact of the matter is, all Modular blocks after '96 are tough. Even the weakest of the bunch will hold well over 600hp and even then I've not seen one break at or beyond that. The block isn't the problem with these engines, its the rods and pistons that need to be addressed. Concentrate on those.

I do not plan on doing much to the car except maybe exhaust and exterior looks such as tints, wheels, etc. The only reasoned I was concerned with the Teksid Block is because I heard it was better and produced more HP. I just wanted to get the most HP out of the stock cobra. Why do people like it more? and wharts needs to be done to the rods and pistons? whats wrong with them?:flag:

The block itself has nothing to do with the amount of horsepower the car makes, it has to do with the amont of hoserpower it can take. The Teksid block is desired for its toughness, not its performance.

The '01 Cobra's were quicker than the models before it because of its head/intake design and ECU tune. That's really all there is to it.

A lot of people think they need the Teksid block because of all the power they plan on making. I can't tell you how many people I've seen that have wasted the money going with this block, only to make between 300-600hp. For what they spent on the block, the could have covered the cost of a good performance part.

The rods and pistons in the early Cobra's are made of the same fragile material that the ones in the GT's are. They utilized rather weak hypereutectic pistons, and cracked cap powdered rods. Ok for horsepower levels in the 400hp range, but much beyond that they start living on borrowed time. The cranks are forged steel and will take all kinds of power, but if you ever plan on making any serious power with this engine, look into a set of forged steel H/I beam rods and some forged pistons that'll take the heat.

The number one formula that seems to do the trick for Cobra's is gears, high flow exhaust and intake mods topped off with an ECU tune. You can pick up a good 30-60hp this way and really turn your car into an animal....both on the street and at the track. :nice:

The block itself has nothing to do with the amount of horsepower the car makes, it has to do with the amont of hoserpower it can take. The Teksid block is desired for its toughness, not its performance.

The '01 Cobra's were quicker than the models before it because of its head/intake design and ECU tune. That's really all there is to it.

A lot of people think they need the Teksid block because of all the power they plan on making. I can't tell you how many people I've seen that have wasted the money going with this block, only to make between 300-600hp. For what they spent on the block, the could have covered the cost of a good performance part.

The rods and pistons in the early Cobra's are made of the same fragile material that the ones in the GT's are. They utilized rather weak hypereutectic pistons, and cracked cap powdered rods. Ok for horsepower levels in the 400hp range, but much beyond that they start living on borrowed time. The cranks are forged steel and will take all kinds of power, but if you ever plan on making any serious power with this engine, look into a set of forged steel H/I beam rods and some forged pistons that'll take the heat.

The number one formula that seems to do the trick for Cobra's is gears, high flow exhaust and intake mods topped off with an ECU tune. You can pick up a good 30-60hp this way and really turn your car into an animal....both on the street and at the track. :nice:

Thank you for your help. I was going to get too caught up in the Teksid block and now I realize I dont have to because I dont want to do much to it. Is the stock exhaust loud, or does it need an aftermarket one?:flag:

Is the stock exhaust loud, or does it need an aftermarket one?:flag:

I guess that all depends on your definition of loud. Personally, I'm not a fan of loud overpowering exhausts. The stock 4-Valve exhaust note is music to my ears. You could make it louder with a high flow mid pipe, or if you don't mind spending a little money, going with one of the many aftermarket exhaust systems is always a great way to pick up the exhaust not...and add some power to boot.

Popular choices for 4-Valve Cobra's are SLP (Loud Mouth II is my prefference personally), Bassani, Magnaflow, etc. I'm not a fan of chambered mufflers on Modular cars, but as I said earlier....exaust notes are subjective. Your best bet is to google exhaust clips, or see if you can find a couple on Youtube that you lke the sound of and go with one of those.