SN95 Tension Over The Tensioner

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
Okay, so I'm wondering if my 1yr old Ford belt tensioner is going bad. I noticed that the wheel on it does not spin freely like, for instance, the idler pulley wheel. It will spin a couple of revolutions then it comes to a quick stop whereas the idler pulley will spin and gradually come to a stop. A friend said that is a sign of the bearing going bad. For comparison purposes I purchased an auto store brand and it did the same thing.

At this point I'm wondering if both were bad (I've bought dude parts before), or if that's the way its supposed to be. Anybody have some feedback?

• Sponsors (?)

A roller or ball bearing that doesn't spin freely for an extended amount of time isn't necessarily bad. If the pulley it supports isn't very heavy and the bearing is packed with grease it can come to a stop after a few revolutions. In fact, a bearing that spins a long time is most likely dry and will fail sooner. The way to check a bearing is to listen to it, and feel it while rolling it. If it feels rough, it's bad. If it has excessive play, it's bad. Note this is true for greased roller bearings. Oil bath bearings are a different story.

A roller or ball bearing that doesn't spin freely for an extended amount of time isn't necessarily bad. If the pulley it supports isn't very heavy and the bearing is packed with grease it can come to a stop after a few revolutions. In fact, a bearing that spins a long time is most likely dry and will fail sooner. The way to check a bearing is to listen to it, and feel it while rolling it. If it feels rough, it's bad. If it has excessive play, it's bad.
This is [very] helpful! Thank you. In order to clarify, when you say "excessive play" do you mean front to back movement (similar to how one checks wheel bearings by moving the tire)?