Progress Thread Tfs 205cc 302 Build

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Illinois
image.jpg
Well got the heads this morning! Here's some pics!

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What are your plans for the reat of the combo?

Joe
Going to go with a custom hyd roller either by Freezy or Ed. Probably will notch Pistons. Looking for a used Holley intake,bigger MAF,30-42#inj,TB,new balancer,etc. Want to see what the 302 is capable of before going to a bigger engine in the future. I'm hoping for a high 11 to low 12 sec pass while still being except able for the occasional cruise night/fun street trip. This is just a toy not a daily driver. This pass year I only drove it about 50 miles. Was burned out and tired of the weak 302. I just sold the nitrous kit also. I might eventually go back to one but for time being staying N/A.

Reactions: 1 user
You could go a little more aggressive on the cam and make a little more power. He has a very mild cam in his.
That's what I was thinking also. I still have to contact the cam guys and see what they recommend. I expect somewhere around 220-230*dur and around .600 lift but that's just an assumption. Heck I might even get away with not notching Pistons but I'm not afraid to do it if necessary. I always wanted to build a max effort stock shortblock and see what happens. If it blows it blows. Eventually Im going dart block but that won't be for a year or 2. Just going to have some fun and see what happens.

Reactions: 2 users
After looking for a used Holley intake I decided to order a new one. So should be here this week. I still haven't checked for a cam yet. I also still haven't decided on tuning. A chip? MegaSquirt PnP?,PMS? Maybe they Holley HP? I have a 70mm MAF and TB on it right now but that isn't going to work. So...buy a MAF&tuning or get rid of it completely?! Also got the 130 amp alt kit from latemodel. So some progress..

After looking for a used Holley intake I decided to order a new one. So should be here this week. I still haven't checked for a cam yet. I also still haven't decided on tuning. A chip? MegaSquirt PnP?,PMS? Maybe they Holley HP? I have a 70mm MAF and TB on it right now but that isn't going to work. So...buy a MAF&tuning or get rid of it completely?! Also got the 130 amp alt kit from latemodel. So some progress..

Been looking at the microsquirt by stinger. It is supposed to be self tuning
Honestly, I don't understand all the lingo and talk of tuners right yet, but I know I can't afford $2k for one.

Joe

Been looking at the microsquirt by stinger. It is supposed to be self tuning
Honestly, I don't understand all the lingo and talk of tuners right yet, but I know I can't afford $2k for one.

Joe
Yeah they are probably overkill on this type of project. I'll probably hold off until the next engine. I can't justify the extra cost. Besides I still have a MAF and injectors to buy. Also going to put a better balancer on. Thought about Long tubes also but not 100% positive I'm staying 8.2 block on next engine.

I see uh , a flaw in those heads please package and send them to me asap so i can analyze them

How come YOU have new 205 heads? Shouldn't everyone also get a pair to be fair? I suggest you immediatley buy every member a set also, starting with me of course.

Seriously, that is going to be an awesome build. Those heads look to good to put on an engine.

Yeah they are probably overkill on this type of project. I'll probably hold off until the next engine. I can't justify the extra cost. Besides I still have a MAF and injectors to buy. Also going to put a better balancer on. Thought about Long tubes also but not 100% positive I'm staying 8.2 block on next engine.

You can save the money that you would spend on the MAF and put it towards the $700 for the Stinger PiMP that comes with the tuner studio license. Makes it easier when it comes time to dyno tune the motor which you'd have to do even with the MAF and burning a chip. At least with the PiMP you could learn to tune yourself so when you bump up the cubes in the future you could tune it yourself or use the auto tune feature it comes with and save yourself $$$. I talked via email with Shannon from Stinger last week and it's a 2-3 week turn around right now so I'll be putting in my order in Feb!

Love the progress and pics so far! Your 86' is really nice too.