Progress Thread Tfs 205cc 302 Build

You can save the money that you would spend on the MAF and put it towards the $700 for the Stinger PiMP that comes with the tuner studio license. Makes it easier when it comes time to dyno tune the motor which you'd have to do even with the MAF and burning a chip. At least with the PiMP you could learn to tune yourself so when you bump up the cubes in the future you could tune it yourself or use the auto tune feature it comes with and save yourself $$$. I talked via email with Shannon from Stinger last week and it's a 2-3 week turn around right now so I'll be putting in my order in Feb!

Love the progress and pics so far! Your 86' is really nice too.

Not trying to threadjack, but is the Pimp really as easy as plugging it in a let it tune? I haven't talked to anyone from the company yet, just been reading online. I need something that can self tune, but give me the option to adjust once I learn what I am doing.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You can save the money that you would spend on the MAF and put it towards the $700 for the Stinger PiMP that comes with the tuner studio license. Makes it easier when it comes time to dyno tune the motor which you'd have to do even with the MAF and burning a chip. At least with the PiMP you could learn to tune yourself so when you bump up the cubes in the future you could tune it yourself or use the auto tune feature it comes with and save yourself $$$. I talked via email with Shannon from Stinger last week and it's a 2-3 week turn around right now so I'll be putting in my order in Feb!

Love the progress and pics so far! Your 86' is really nice too.
Thanks for the compliment and the info. One of my drawbacks for the MS stuff is my laptop died a few months ago. So I have to factor that into the costs also. I actually haven't missed having one(until now). I access the interwebbz from my iPhone. Would give me an excuse to buy one though:confused: I do agree with an aftermarket ecu advise. I am somewhat computer illiterate but feel confident in learning how to do it. There seems to be enough tech advise on most systems. I will do it. Just a matter of when.

Not trying to threadjack, but is the Pimp really as easy as plugging it in a let it tune? I haven't talked to anyone from the company yet, just been reading online. I need something that can self tune, but give me the option to adjust once I learn what I am doing.

Joe

I don't know everything about it backward and forward but I do know it's plug n' play for N/A engines. You need wideband O2 sensors and a lap top. Comes with a base tune that will be in the ball park for initial start up and idle. I've read a lot of threads about this setup and people are very pleased with the product and the support. I will continue reading and learning as much as I can about it to make as much of an informed decision as possible before spending the money.

Finally got these tonight
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good choice on parts man. Should be a nice build. I tried to use all good stuff too, just couldn't afford the Dart block.

Joe

Good choice on parts man. Should be a nice build. I tried to use all good stuff too, just couldn't afford the Dart block.

Joe
Thanks. I'm in the same situation. I've been wanting/waiting to do a dart build but crap keeps turning up(I have college kids lol). Figured I'd use my "future" funds for some right now fun. Start saving again for the shortblock/trans. I have spent most of the $ but have a little left and of course have some tax return $ coming in a few months so this project will get done by spring/early summer. I also am redoing the suspension and rearend.

Not trying to threadjack, but is the Pimp really as easy as plugging it in a let it tune?
Joe

No, it isnt that simple with tunerstudio, you will have to work to get the idle right with it, and i would put a good base in it before letting it tune itself. IMO, it isnt as good as the self learning ive seen with the holley. I helped a friend with a cam/intake LS engine, it was a 6.0 truck motor and the cam was fairly aggressive. We fired that thing up, adjusted the idle screw and just started driving it, no tuning required but the holley also has a good base file with a good timing map so that made life easier. When i had MS2 on my car it wasnt nearly as easy to tune as the holley EFI is.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe there is a place on Stingers site where other people post their successful tunes and share them. So you can find someone that has a similar setup and use their tune to help get you closer. The auto tune (from what I read) is for after you get the base/idle set you drive around and the program auto adjusts the tune if you want it to do that.

@90lxcoupe has hands on experience with the MS2, i've only read and asked questions so far so he is a better person to take advice from.

From Stingers site-
VE Live which is an auto tuning capability built into the tuning software. This powerful feature will tune the engine on it's own while you do nothing but drive around under varying conditions. This allows the end user to tune the idle and cruising portion of the fuel map to "better than stock" often in less than 30 minutes. Additionally, the PiMP comes with a base tune featuring dyno proven and safe timing maps that can be ran as provided or fine tuned to your particular setup as you see fit.

Reactions: 1 users
No, it isnt that simple with tunerstudio, you will have to work to get the idle right with it, and i would put a good base in it before letting it tune itself. IMO, it isnt as good as the self learning ive seen with the holley. I helped a friend with a cam/intake LS engine, it was a 6.0 truck motor and the cam was fairly aggressive. We fired that thing up, adjusted the idle screw and just started driving it, no tuning required but the holley also has a good base file with a good timing map so that made life easier. When i had MS2 on my car it wasnt nearly as easy to tune as the holley EFI is.

Good stuff to know. I watched a youtube video of a guy tuning a svo car with the pimp. He did note that it was up to you to get the idle right. In your opinion, would you recommend the pimp or a pms for a novice tuner? I know the holley is the stuff, but I just can't swing that right now.

Joe

Good stuff to know. I watched a youtube video of a guy tuning a svo car with the pimp. He did note that it was up to you to get the idle right. In your opinion, would you recommend the pimp or a pms for a novice tuner? I know the holley is the stuff, but I just can't swing that right now.

Joe
I was on the Anderson site last night looking at the PMS w/data logging you're looking at 1200$. I know you can get a used one far cheaper but if buying new I really like the Holley HP for only 300$ more. I always hoped/wanted/thought the PMS would come down in price. It has gone the opposite way. Which makes me scratch my head considering there are more/better options imo.

I read and asked allot of questions about the PiMP systems when I was thinking a hci build and tuner studio is down the road... with the highend parts and work he's doing I think there's a high risk of damage or at least major headache trying to get MS 'dialed-in' I did like what I learned about Pro M and Holley but why when you can build a strong combo and tune the stock ECU for what$500...

Reactions: 2 users
I was on the Anderson site last night looking at the PMS w/data logging you're looking at 1200$. I know you can get a used one far cheaper but if buying new I really like the Holley HP for only 300$ more. I always hoped/wanted/thought the PMS would come down in price. It has gone the opposite way. Which makes me scratch my head considering there are more/better options imo.

I agree with you totally. Considering the PMS has ha no updates in something like 10 years, it is over priced. I would be in the market for one around $500-$600 used, and that would have to be a series 4 with no missing parts.

I read and asked allot of questions about the PiMP systems when I was thinking a hci build and tuner studio is down the road... with the highend parts and work he's doing I think there's a high risk of damage or at least major headache trying to get MS 'dialed-in' I did like what I learned about Pro M and Holley but why when you can build a strong combo and tune the stock ECU for what$500...

I think I would be looking at about $600 to dyno tune my stock ECU. This is part of the reason the PiMP is so appealing.

Lots and lots of happy people talking about their setup, options and what they liked and didn't like with PiMP, check it

@hoopty5.0 @RangerJoe
It's mostly people with turbo 4cyl but there are also n/a V8's and boosted V8's too. A lot of people stating they had good success with the VE Live auto tune. I think I'm sold on Pimp.
http://stinger-performance.proboards.com/thread/1532/all-running-pimp-installations-post

I am going to continue researching it a bit, but it seems like this is most likely going to be my choice too.

Joe

I should've bought the holley. With that said I went with what I knew worked personally and it definitely does work.