Progress Thread Tfs 205cc 302 Build

• Sponsors (?)

Good stuff to know. I watched a youtube video of a guy tuning a svo car with the pimp. He did note that it was up to you to get the idle right. In your opinion, would you recommend the pimp or a pms for a novice tuner? I know the holley is the stuff, but I just can't swing that right now.

Joe

I wouldnt put the PMS on anything, you have the cost of the ECU, plus the cost of the MAF and you are within the range of holley prices, then later on if you run high impendance injectors you need a special driver for that, and after all of that there is no easy way to datalog, it is still piggybacked off of the stock computer, and you are tuning off of a dot matrix screen. PMS was the balls 10 years ago when most standalones werent that good and you had to spend upwards of $3000on them... Go with the PIMP or save a little longer for a holley, i will say though, just like horsepower, playing with EFI is addicting. Everyone starts out as a novice, and soon after you may want to upgrade to a distributorless coil on plug ignition and add inputs and outputs to try and get smarter to what the car is doing.

I read and asked allot of questions about the PiMP systems when I was thinking a hci build and tuner studio is down the road... with the highend parts and work he's doing I think there's a high risk of damage or at least major headache trying to get MS 'dialed-in' I did like what I learned about Pro M and Holley but why when you can build a strong combo and tune the stock ECU for what$500...

A chip goes for like 250, then you are at the mercy of whatever the dyno operator charges you to tune it, then you are stuck with it until the next time you want to fork out 150-300 bucks an hour for dyno time... That sucks.

Highend parts or not, the MS is a good system and if you get the base where it needs to be it is no more risky than anything.

Reactions: 1 users
A chip goes for like 250, then you are at the mercy of whatever the dyno operator charges you to tune it, then you are stuck with it until the next time you want to fork out 150-300 bucks an hour for dyno time... That sucks.

Highend parts or not, the MS is a good system and if you get the base where it needs to be it is no more risky than anything.

That's my point a good tuner and $500 and you're done, they have your base and can have a tune ready for mods with a phone call and you get dyno time.

IF you get the base where you want it is a big word, not everyone has the knowledge, experience or time to get it right, every time I read about someone with a MS type system you read for like a zillion years how they are trying to "get it where it needs to be"

Not being a jerk just pointing out this stuff is difficult, frustrating and for most it comes out acceptable not perfected. I wouldnt want to spend all my time doing that anymore than trying to fix the darn idle surge we all get on a regular basis...

Reactions: 1 user
That's my point a good tuner and $500 and you're done, they have your base and can have a tune ready for mods with a phone call and you get dyno time.

It will be more than $500, and you wont be done with one chip tune i guarantee that. With a good standalone you have a datalogger that can be reviewed when you make changes to the tune. You can find a tuner to put a base tune in a MS box and make small tweeks yourself from there to perfect things.

IF you get the base where you want it is a big word, not everyone has the knowledge, experience or time to get it right, every time I read about someone with a MS type system you read for like a zillion years how they are trying to "get it where it needs to be"

Nobody is born with any knowledge, its really not that hard, i read one book(which really helped), and paid a tuner to dyno the car and get it close, i watched him work and asked questions when i had them, and when i left i had gained some great knowledge. The tunes are never done, there is always tweeks here and there to be made as you gather data, just getting a chip tune and saying "yup, its all done" is selling yourself short.

Not being a jerk just pointing out this stuff is difficult, frustrating and for most it comes out acceptable not perfected. I wouldnt want to spend all my time doing that anymore than trying to fix the darn idle surge we all get on a regular basis...

I dont think you are being a jerk... Welcome to Hot Rodding, the whole reason i went to a standalone system is because i was sick of being tied to the dyno tuner every time my car wouldnt idle... Since i have taken control of the tune and got rid of the stock computer i am happy to say that idle surge, bucking, and the rpm hanging after i rev the car or kick the clutch in is all gone.

The real problem is it takes HOURS and hours to do all of this, no tuner in his right mind is going to sit there and mess with the idle until it is perfect, and then, even if it is perfect to him, it might not be perfect to you, 95% of the "tuners" in this market want to make some dyno pulls, do a little part throttle tuning, make the car idle halfway decent and get paid. They dont wanna sit there for a few hours getting the idle right if that is what it takes. My time is free, so if i want to sit there and screw with the idle for a while, that's fine with me, but idle and part throttle take the most time and most guys just get it close and ship the car to the customer.

Most of the people that bought the PiMP never had any tuning experience before. When they installed the system most people reported that the base tune that PiMP is loaded with will run lean. From there you open the fuel tables and make instant changes to the fuel map and bingo, you idling just right! Read the testimonials that I posted earlier about peoples experience good and bad. Most bad experiences people admitted were mistakes of their own, i.e, not reading and following instruction accordingly. Also for people that needed help they say that Shannon and Wes K (the co-creators of PiMP) were always there to give them the support they needed to get it done.

I was quoted upwards of $800 for my dyno tune and that's after I spend the money on an engine management system and wideband O2's. I'd rather learn it myself and not have to run to the tuner every time there's a hiccup or I change something with my combo. It's like most other things, if it's important enough then it's worth learning to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I was quoted upwards of $800 for my dyno tune and that's after I spend the money on an engine management system and wideband O2's. I'd rather learn it myself and not have to run to the tuner every time there's a hiccup or I change something with my combo. It's like most other things, if it's important enough then it's worth learning to do.
This.

Im thinking of selling my heads and buying a pimp. Although, normally you buy the.... well, nevermind. But seriously, I am thinking about it very hard.....

Reactions: 2 users
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Heads up on the Systemaxx: I just installed it and I keep finding oil puddle just behind the TB each time I take it off. At first I thought it was from my modified valve cover baffle, but after some Google research I found it is a common problem.

All the vacuum fittings are in the throat right behind the throttle body. Couple that with the "hill" just inside the intake and the oil has a hard time making it into the runners and combusting. Apparently, according to the post I read, it is normal for a small amount of oil to be sucked up through the pcv valve.

The solution is either an oil catch online from the pcv to intake, or the relocating of the vacuum fitting further along in the intake. Apparently the freeze plug is a popular location for a new fitting, as it offers no permanent modification to the intake.

Joe

Heads up on the Systemaxx: I just installed it and I keep finding oil puddle just behind the TB each time I take it off. At first I thought it was from my modified valve cover baffle, but after some Google research I found it is a common problem.

All the vacuum fittings are in the throat right behind the throttle body. Couple that with the "hill" just inside the intake and the oil has a hard time making it into the runners and combusting. Apparently, according to the post I read, it is normal for a small amount of oil to be sucked up through the pcv valve.

The solution is either an oil catch online from the pcv to intake, or the relocating of the vacuum fitting further along in the intake. Apparently the freeze plug is a popular location for a new fitting, as it offers no permanent modification to the intake.

Joe
Yup . I was sucking oil like crazy . I just deleted the pcv with the blower and vented it .