Progress Thread Tfs 205cc 302 Build

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
So...some good and some bad and some ugly.
Good-Got the coilovers in the front with Strange adj struts,rearend is rebuilt with 31spline moser axles,FRPP 3.73's,Diff and Girdle. Also installed new aluminum driveshaft. Got rid of a vibration that I had(u joints) and I love the setup.

The Bad- have to wait awhile until I clear up the exwife crap to finish the engine stuff. It sucks but I'm more patient than when I was young.

The ugly- installed the team z rear springs. Don't like the stance but they do work!

Still got the isolators out back? Taking them out will bring it down between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Iirc, those springs are oriented towards drag cars, and probably would look better with a bigger (taller) tire in the well.

Still got the isolators out back? Taking them out will bring it down between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Iirc, those springs are oriented towards drag cars, and probably would look better with a bigger (taller) tire in the well.
Yes the isolators are still in. I just thought they would sit a touch lower. They look a little high with the 17x9 Cobra's and 275 NIttos. Eventually going to a 28" MT tire on a 15x10 wheel for track duty. I actually was surprised at how well this suspension works. Going to be reeaaalll nice at the track with a good tire. I did a few launches out on A back road and it basically hooked with a small chirp and full air pressure in the tires. Night and day difference and the ride is actually softer than before. It's still a mustang quality ride but better. The struts are set at 6 right now. Going to be fun to play with adjustments.

Just been babying the car around for about 500 miles. Trans is on its way out. Have court today to finish the "off field issues" lol and hopefully I can order my trans from Liberty and finish the build next month. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow you're stink buggin a little bit there. Can you cut a 1/4 coil off to fix that without messing up the function of the rear springs? I've heard of people doing that with drag springs with success (or so they say). :shrug:

Good luck with getting some progress going soon.

Wow you're stink buggin a little bit there. Can you cut a 1/4 coil off to fix that without messing up the function of the rear springs? I've heard of people doing that with drag springs with success (or so they say). :shrug:

Good luck with getting some progress going soon.
I can take out the isolators and drop it 1/2" or so. After driving it they've settled a little also. They are sitting just about stock height. I want to raise the front about 1/4-1/2" and even it out a little more. I like the quality of "ride" I'm getting. I'll try and take a new pic and show what it looks like. It's not as bad as that pic looks.

image.jpg
So I took the car out yesterday with my daughter. She egged me to get on it and like a teenager a jumped on it...well let's just say it was one of my poorer decisions. The 2nd gear finally gave up,the throttle stuck wot,bounced off the revlimiter before I shut it down. Bent the fan and threw the belt. Didn't take pics of carnage or the trip on the tow truck but it's at the shop and I guess I'll be finishing this soon. Now I have to order the elec fan kit,all the trans stuff,etc

ouch, looks like more of cooling system took a hit than the just the fan and belt. hope its not down too long.

and i thought you were putting a tko in, or am i thinking of someone else?

Yes I'm going TKO. Just been saving for it all. Going to call this week. I coasted down the road and it got hot. About 240 before I got it pulled over. Lost about 1/2 a gallon of coolant. Started puking out the overflow. Chewed the back of the radiator a little but not bad. I've messed with this throttle linkage a few times. I thought it was fixed. The actual throttle body sticks every once in awhile at wot. I can manually open it and it does it by hand. When I pull all the topend off ill double check but I believe it's the actual TB sticks.

. I've messed with this throttle linkage a few times. I thought it was fixed. The actual throttle body sticks every once in awhile at wot. I can manually open it and it does it by hand. When I pull all the topend off ill double check but I believe it's the actual TB sticks.
which t/b do you have? i had a holley billet for all of three days that did that same crap before i took it back and bought a 65mm bbk off a guy at work. ive seen postings since then about the same issue, not that they make em anymore.

which t/b do you have? i had a holley billet for all of three days that did that same crap before i took it back and bought a 65mm bbk off a guy at work. ive seen postings since then about the same issue, not that they make em anymore.
I actually thought it was a BBK but it's a Professional Products TB(it came with the car)

Ummm... It's not good. I've not had the best luck the last 6 months. Thought it was just the bent fan giving me the vibration but the motor is hurt. My buddy threw a new clutch fan/fan he had on it. I think I have the same thing going on as @TOOLOW91 old motor. Still have ok oil pressure(but it's lower than it was) it's at 58-60# on cold start. It was always at 75# before. Has a pretty good vibration at idle and a little bit of ticking/clicking noise. I'm pretty sure it's a bearing:( and the crank may be walking slightly.

So I am at a crossroads on what I need/want to do. Obviously the motor/trans has to come out of the car. Both are hurt. Do I even bother with this 302? I could possibly get away with throwing some bearings back in and following through with initial idea. Or....just go ahead and place my order with Woody at FordStrokers.com for the 363 shortblock. All the h/c/i-exhaust parts can be switched over(even if they are on the small side). I could sell the unused leftovers and scrap the 302/T5.

I'm leaning towards throwing this thing in the garage and letting it be a jackstand Queen for awhile. I think I'm going to go more towards a restomoded idea with a good bump in power but not solely concentrated on 1/4 mile. I think it is a waste of money to play with the 302 idea anymore but do I want to invest 20k and 1-2 years? I'm going to step away for a few days and decide what's next. :thinking: