The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I bought their degreaser and etch.

Basically what I did was after removing everything from the underside of the car, did a complete clean and degrease with parts store degreaser, a hose, and wire brush. Got it pretty clean. Then I used the POR degreaser, let it dry, and then the etch fluid. Then I brushed on the POR15.

End result is that almost 10 years later, it's still hard as a rock. I put the rear axle on jackstands right on the paint, and no damage. I pretty much did from the firewall back to the gas tank. If I ever drop the tank, i'll do under there too.

Here's where I did the axle in my project thread

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...s-progress-thread.758796/page-10#post-7823727

I remember back when I did my car, there was a member here with a silver 1986 Capri that did grey POR15 on the axle and entire underside. It was pristine! Who was that guy?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I bought their degreaser and etch.

Basically what I did was after removing everything from the underside of the car, did a complete clean and degrease with parts store degreaser, a hose, and wire brush. Got it pretty clean. Then I used the POR degreaser, let it dry, and then the etch fluid. Then I brushed on the POR15.

End result is that almost 10 years later, it's still hard as a rock. I put the rear axle on jackstands right on the paint, and no damage. I pretty much did from the firewall back to the gas tank. If I ever drop the tank, i'll do under there too.

Here's where I did the axle in my project thread

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...s-progress-thread.758796/page-10#post-7823727

I remember back when I did my car, there was a member here with a silver 1986 Capri that did grey POR15 on the axle and entire underside. It was pristine! Who was that guy?

Was that the guy who tilted the car sideways in the yard with ratchet straps, to do the bottom of the car?

My car on jack stands in garage so had to use the lung friendly cleaners. Scrubbed oil off with Dawn dish detergent, rinsed with water then wiped down with alcohol.
That's similar to what I did to my undercarriage and floor.

I had to use brushes and red scotchbrites to scrub off the dirt, then Dawn and water to wash all of the residual dirt off. Then some wax and grease remover.

Laying on my back with my mini roller and paintbrushes got me covered with spots. I looked like a Dalmatian when i was through. I found using laquer thinner and a rag will get it off, though it burns the hell out of facial skin.

Reactions: 1 users
Going to look at an 86 convertible tomorrow. If it's as nice as guy says, spending clone money on this instead, just painting hatchback jet black as is. I am dead meat if I come home with another vehicle. This will be beyond flowers and a card. Wish me luck.

Reactions: 3 users
I know how you feel. I've been casually browsing CL for a good deal and warned the wife I may come home with something else one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Original female owner, has all paperwork from dealership. All original, unmolested, everything works.

Attachments

• KIMG0111.jpg
    KIMG0111.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 213
  • KIMG0110.jpg
    KIMG0110.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 183
  • KIMG0109.jpg
    KIMG0109.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: 4 users
Awesome find brother,but I feel you may owe the wife BIG now lol.
So does this mean no more cobra clone?
For now. The car costs the same as all the clone parts. I replaced a roof for cash, so I'll have to find another roof to do. Now I need a garage addition, which means I have to remodel her bathroom first. This car has been garaged since new, still 30 year old paint has clear coat coming off. Interior immaculate. Only rust was under doors. Frame rust free, even the pumpkin which was odd, factory must have done something. Shock towers spotless. Had some rust proofing done at some point. Not doing anything to it but body work. The LX is still getting everything fixed over winter and prepped for paint in spring. 86 going to friends house. Seriously can not bring another car home. I have two work trucks, three trailers and a plow. Plus three boys with their cars, her car. If I remodel the bathrooms I'll be home free. Better get to it.

Attachments

• KIMG0112.jpg
    KIMG0112.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 181
Seen a black GT hatchback around town a couple times, needs paint. So now I'm just doing the cobra body trim kit for now to up the awesomeness over that GT. Brakes, engine, and interior will have to wait. Waiting for title on 86, that's getting paint and suspension, and that's it. Should take about 4 weeks for title, gives me plenty of time to finish bathrooms and confess. Painting the 93 myself, 86 going to a friend who owns a body shop. New headlights and suspension on the way for 93, and whatever else I ordered while drunk.

Saturday night having a few beers with some friends, ok maybe more than a few. I have all the Cobra parts sitting in the lmr cart, about $2700 worth of parts. Then I hear ORDER IT! No flipping way! I spent the money already. PAYPAL IT! Do it!, you know you want to... Thank christ he has a crappy internet out in east bumfuq. I checked my account Sunday, didn't go through. January will come soon enough. Don't drink and lmr.

Reactions: 3 users