Status
Not open for further replies.
That trashcan/work bench is pretty epic. Is there anything that you can't build on top of it? Honestly, I like it. It reminds me of this old work bench I was given by my grandfather. It has more holes/burns/scrapes and bruises than you can imagine yet I wouldn't change it for the world

• Sponsors (?)

That trashcan/work bench is pretty epic. Is there anything that you can't build on top of it? Honestly, I like it. It reminds me of this old work bench I was given by my grandfather. It has more holes/burns/scrapes and bruises than you can imagine yet I wouldn't change it for the world

The funny thing is I've beat the hell outta those cans. There are grinding cuts, bondo, countless different colors and a few well placed holes to aid in holding things. Then one day, I get home, and there are two brand new cans on the curb.

Now I got 4. The two old cans just got retired from trash duty, and serve full time as a work bench, picture pedestal, and general prop for things I don't want setting on the ground.

Reactions: 1 user
The funny thing is I've beat the hell outta those cans. There are grinding cuts, bondo, countless different colors and a few well placed holes to aid in holding things. Then one day, I get home, and there are two brand new cans on the curb.

Now I got 4. The two old cans just got retired from trash duty, and serve full time as a work bench, picture pedestal, and general prop for things I don't want setting on the ground.

That's great. I have a nearly identical work bench right behind my garage. It mostly serves rattle can duty, but also the occasional grinding/welding table role. Universal work platform, the trashcan.

The last time I posted another "non-progress" progress update, the maelstrom that followed lasted for three pages. Since then, I've committed to not trying to skirt around the language filter when writing,... anndddd.......... Uhhhhhh..
:thinking:something,.........it was right here a minute ago,......... Oh Yeah!, Avoiding gratuitous usage of the still offensive non-filtered ones.

So here goes:
upload_2015-10-1_17-18-23.png

I'll need a windshield one day. Considering that the one I had had wiper scratches, and a significant rock chip in it, I wasn't too concerned when it shattered into a bagillion pieces whilst trying to remove the thing. Months ago, on a whim, I started trying to find one from the typical glass suppliers,.. and the few that I called were making it sound like the windshield was obsolete.

Since it was so far off, I never really returned to the search effort until recently, I started looking again last week. Through another forum, I discover Green Sales. A company whose business model is to buy up obsolete N.O.S. inventory from the Ford parts departments throughout the US. At that time I was looking for the side marker lights, as mine were either cracked or broken. They had the complete set. I asked the guy if he might have a windshield for the thing, and he said that he might, if I knew the ( tag, rag, crag, lag, lot, batch,... whatever they call the identifier that helps to give the windshield a part number) I did not. He looks, and says that he doesn't but has a referall for a business whose business is to find and sell obsolete glass. ( Like mine). I call them, and after a couple of days, the nice lady informs me that she did indeed find my glass, and for the bargain price of 816.00, she'd get me a brand new windshield.

Nothing but crack.

First my windshield has one, and now this lady is smoking it.

I thank her for her effort, and tell her that I'll get back to her, (when Hell freezes over), and continue the search. I start looking at the salvage yards for windshields, and sure enough, there seems to be a decent supply of Futuras out there, but there were considerations:
#1. The likelihood that one of them has a perfect glass.
#2. The cost to get it to me.
#3. My luck.

I put the "salvage yard option" at the bottom of the priority list, and scavenged on.

Last week while looking at something completely different,I stumble onto Rock Auto's listing for one genuine DW00883N Fairmont Futura tinted windshield, one of two remaining, for the amazing price of 147.00.

( I cant get off of my wallet fast enough)

Until I read that it has to come truck freight,..........add on 170.00

Now it's 314.00.

Still better than 816.00, so this morning after making my deposit at the bank, I get online and order it. After getting in the car and driving about 30 miles, the paranoid wack job in me, calls RA to confirm that the windshield that I ordered is for the 2dr cpe., and not the sedan (box top), as I know that they are different. She confirms that it is indeed a windshield for the Futura 2 dr. coupe.

Alrighty then. I go about my day.

On the way back from the jobsite, I get to thinking about this very update. I'm thinking about whether or not I'll make the statement that I have found one of the last two, obsolete from Do-Do-Bird town, Fairmont Futura 2 dr coupe windshields,.and just come on here and dance around like the village idiot.

But then thought better of it.

Because no sooner would I do that, then somebody would paste up a link to prove that not only was the windshield not that obsolete after all, but a lot cheaper than what I paid.

So I made a call to another windshield installation company. (I think it was something like discount autoglass,..home of the "99.00 windshield installed FREE".)

I tell the lady what I got, she puts me on hold, the shop foreman comes on, asks a few questions, and then tells me he can get me the windshield installed for 300.00.

O.K., I can deal with that,..But are you sure that that windshield is for a Futura, and not the dorky assed 2 door box top?
( I didn't actually say "dorky assed" to him to be sure that I didn't offend his gentlemanly nature and all, I just wanted to point out to the two of you that reads this that I think Fairmont sedans are stupid)

Anyway, he confirms that the windshield fits all models, 2 dr, 4 dr, coupe, sedan, and wagon.

Uhh,.... wrongo Jeeves,...Futura is different. The windshield that you have fits all of those other bodies except mine.

I tell him about the pending windshield at RA I have ordered, and there is definitely a separate model number for the one that is getting ready to get put on a truck, and again, he asks me if I know that number thing again. (Nags number)

All I know is the model number, I can't tell you about the " Nags number" But on a side note,... if he was interested, I could tell him about my exwife,... and I could give him that nags number.

He wasn't interested.

As an example, he says the Nags number for the windshield he had was DWOO882.

HA!!! I do know it! I thought it was a R.A. part number, but it is in fact the number you want, and mine was DWOO883.
Can you get me that one installed for the same price?

He puts me on hold, and comes back in a minute and tells me that he can. I ask Are you sure?,......cause if I can cancel the R.A. order, and lose this thing and you cant get me one when I need it,................well,........I'm gonna cuss.

He confirms that he can. I cancel the order.

We'll revisit this again in two months.

You still here?

Now I'll be a little less dramatic.

I'm pretty sure that the valve cover that I made leaks. the thing is supposed to be held down by 8 bolts, but I decided when I built the thing to omit the front, and rear bolts, as they didn't seem necessary at the time. Needless to say, there aren't a lot of options for me here. I can either:
A. Drill the two holes at the front and back, and see if that fixes the problem.
B. Have one custom made. A process that I find unlikely, because it'll take having the head as a template. (Aint happenin)
C. Pay what seems like a lot of money for this one:
upload_2015-10-1_18-11-24.png

This little gem lists for 439.00 AUD.
It'll cost me 110.00 AUD to get it to Birmingham.

If there is anything good to come out of it, is the US to AU dollars exchange rate. One USD is equal to 1.3 AUD
That means this megaspensive last piece of Australia that I'll hopefully ever need will only cost me 385.00 to my door.

You got any thoughts on this?

Reactions: 1 user
The last time I posted another "non-progress" progress update, the maelstrom that followed lasted for three pages. Since then, I've committed to not trying to skirt around the language filter when writing,... anndddd.......... Uhhhhhh..
:thinking:something,.........it was right here a minute ago,......... Oh Yeah!, Avoiding gratuitous usage of the still offensive non-filtered ones.

So here goes:
upload_2015-10-1_17-18-23.png

I'll need a windshield one day. Considering that the one I had had wiper scratches, and a significant rock chip in it, I wasn't too concerned when it shattered into a bagillion pieces whilst trying to remove the thing. Months ago, on a whim, I started trying to find one from the typical glass suppliers,.. and the few that I called were making it sound like the windshield was obsolete.

Since it was so far off, I never really returned to the search effort until recently, I started looking again last week. Through another forum, I discover Green Sales. A company whose business model is to buy up obsolete N.O.S. inventory from the Ford parts departments throughout the US. At that time I was looking for the side marker lights, as mine were either cracked or broken. They had the complete set. I asked the guy if he might have a windshield for the thing, and he said that he might, if I knew the ( tag, rag, crag, lag, lot, batch,... whatever they call the identifier that helps to give the windshield a part number) I did not. He looks, and says that he doesn't but has a referall for a business whose business is to find and sell obsolete glass. ( Like mine). I call them, and after a couple of days, the nice lady informs me that she did indeed find my glass, and for the bargain price of 816.00, she'd get me a brand new windshield.

Nothing but crack.

First my windshield has one, and now this lady is smoking it.

I thank her for her effort, and tell her that I'll get back to her, (when Hell freezes over), and continue the search. I start looking at the salvage yards for windshields, and sure enough, there seems to be a decent supply of Futuras out there, but there were considerations:
#1. The likelihood that one of them has a perfect glass.
#2. The cost to get it to me.
#3. My luck.

I put the "salvage yard option" at the bottom of the priority list, and scavenged on.

Last week while looking at something completely different,I stumble onto Rock Auto's listing for one genuine DW00883N Fairmont Futura tinted windshield, one of two remaining, for the amazing price of 147.00.

( I cant get off of my wallet fast enough)

Until I read that it has to come truck freight,..........add on 170.00

Now it's 314.00.

Still better than 816.00, so this morning after making my deposit at the bank, I get online and order it. After getting in the car and driving about 30 miles, the paranoid wack job in me, calls RA to confirm that the windshield that I ordered is for the 2dr cpe., and not the sedan (box top), as I know that they are different. She confirms that it is indeed a windshield for the Futura 2 dr. coupe.

Alrighty then. I go about my day.

On the way back from the jobsite, I get to thinking about this very update. I'm thinking about whether or not I'll make the statement that I have found one of the last two, obsolete from Do-Do-Bird town, Fairmont Futura 2 dr coupe windshields,.and just come on here and dance around like the village idiot.

But then thought better of it.

Because no sooner would I do that, then somebody would paste up a link to prove that not only was the windshield not that obsolete after all, but a lot cheaper than what I paid.

So I made a call to another windshield installation company. (I think it was something like discount autoglass,..home of the "99.00 windshield installed FREE".)

I tell the lady what I got, she puts me on hold, the shop foreman comes on, asks a few questions, and then tells me he can get me the windshield installed for 300.00.

O.K., I can deal with that,..But are you sure that that windshield is for a Futura, and not the dorky assed 2 door box top?
( I didn't actually say "dorky assed" to him to be sure that I didn't offend his gentlemanly nature and all, I just wanted to point out to the two of you that reads this that I think Fairmont sedans are stupid)

Anyway, he confirms that the windshield fits all models, 2 dr, 4 dr, coupe, sedan, and wagon.

Uhh,.... wrongo Jeeves,...Futura is different. The windshield that you have fits all of those other bodies except mine.

I tell him about the pending windshield at RA I have ordered, and there is definitely a separate model number for the one that is getting ready to get put on a truck, and again, he asks me if I know that number thing again. (Nags number)

All I know is the model number, I can't tell you about the " Nags number" But on a side note,... if he was interested, I could tell him about my exwife,... and I could give him that nags number.

He wasn't interested.

As an example, he says the Nags number for the windshield he had was DWOO882.

HA!!! I do know it! I thought it was a R.A. part number, but it is in fact the number you want, and mine was DWOO883.
Can you get me that one installed for the same price?

He puts me on hold, and comes back in a minute and tells me that he can. I ask Are you sure?,......cause if I can cancel the R.A. order, and lose this thing and you cant get me one when I need it,................well,........I'm gonna cuss.

He confirms that he can. I cancel the order.

We'll revisit this again in two months.

You still here?

Now I'll be a little less dramatic.

I'm pretty sure that the valve cover that I made leaks. the thing is supposed to be held down by 8 bolts, but I decided when I built the thing to omit the front, and rear bolts, as they didn't seem necessary at the time. Needless to say, there aren't a lot of options for me here. I can either:
A. Drill the two holes at the front and back, and see if that fixes the problem.
B. Have one custom made. A process that I find unlikely, because it'll take having the head as a template. (Aint happenin)
C. Pay what seems like a lot of money for this one:
upload_2015-10-1_18-11-24.png

This little gem lists for 439.00 AUD.
It'll cost me 110.00 AUD to get it to Birmingham.

If there is anything good to come out of it, is the US to AU dollars exchange rate. One USD is equal to 1.3 AUD
That means this megaspensive last piece of Australia that I'll hopefully ever need will only cost me 385.00 to my door.

You got any thoughts on this?

I say make more holes.. but, time is money. Which do you have more of?

Get on an Aussie message board, ask who has one laying in the dark crevices of their garage, and politely ask them to mail one to you. A good place to start would be theturboforums. Plenty of 6 cyl aussies on there.

Drill the holes....

Two people that read this? Was that a fat joke.....? Don't answer that.
Noted, standby.....

put some @jrichker super magnets front a rear to pin it down .:D
Better yet tig up a new one with some type of truss in it that will put pressure on the ends (kinda like a roof?)
The head and Valve cover are aluminum. Magnets? Smack yourself.:chair:
Can't TIG aluminum. Even this valve cover is completely glued together.

I say make more holes.. but, time is money. Which do you have more of?
I obviously have enough time to do stuff over and over. I think I'm done with that though.
Dose not matter, it won't fit right anyway. Cause this whole project is full of "why, I have never seen that before" so why would it change when a part is coming from halfway around the world? :shrug::rolleyes:
See below for the rest of the story.
Get on an Aussie message board, ask who has one laying in the dark crevices of their garage, and politely ask them to mail one to you. A good place to start would be theturboforums. Plenty of 6 cyl aussies on there.
Thanks for that,.....again, see below.

After writing the last update, it was about 6:30PM here. On a whim, I decided to call the place that sells the valve cover to see if a better deal could be had.

Pretty amusing result all things considered.

I get the guy, it's 8:30 AM the next day there. After some small talk, (including certain filtered word usage by the guy) He says " let me see what I can do for you, I think that there are a few of those valve covers in my warehouse in Mississippi".

MISSISSIPPI!!:eek:

A manufacturer of obscure Aussie six banger stuff has a U.S. warehouse that has the valve cover exactly one state to the west of me.

Never in a million years.

The deal turns out to be 285.00 plus shipping, or 300.00 to my door. Still a lot of money considering it's a valve cover, but it's still better than the price I originally was expecting.

Drilling the end holes on the home made unit is not a solution really. As @Bullitt347 sarchastically pointed out, it wouldn't fit. It's actually a little too short. Still enough to seal the gasket (I thought). It was/ is one of the still leaking issues I have yet to deal with, and this thing fixes that. There are no modifications to the top of the head that prevent it from working, so, it's something that just needs to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oh sure, Now you pay attention to things I say...... :doh:
Noted, standby.....

The head and Valve cover are aluminum. Magnets? Smack yourself.:chair:
Can't TIG aluminum. Even this valve cover is completely glued together.

I obviously have enough time to do stuff over and over. I think I'm done with that though.

See below for the rest of the story.

Thanks for that,.....again, see below.

After writing the last update, it was about 6:30PM here. On a whim, I decided to call the place that sells the valve cover to see if a better deal could be had.

Pretty amusing result all things considered.

I get the guy, it's 8:30 AM the next day there. After some small talk, (including certain filtered word usage by the guy) He says " let me see what I can do for you, I think that there are a few of those valve covers in my warehouse in Mississippi".

MISSISSIPPI!!:eek:

A manufacturer of obscure Aussie six banger stuff has a U.S. warehouse that has the valve cover exactly one state to the west of me.

Never in a million years.

The deal turns out to be 285.00 plus shipping, or 300.00 to my door. Still a lot of money considering it's a valve cover, but it's still better than the price I originally was expecting.

Drilling the end holes on the home made unit is not a solution really. As @Bullitt347 sarchastically pointed out, it wouldn't fit. It's actually a little too short. Still enough to seal the gasket (I thought). It was/ is one of the still leaking issues I have yet to deal with, and this thing fixes that. There are no modifications to the top of the head that prevent it from working, so, it's something that just needs to happen.

Ok, I worked on the other gill today.

Pretty straight forward stuff actually, considering that I've done this before.
Unlike the other side, this side wasn't butchered while I went through three different versions before I settled on this one. It's 99% welded in save for a few small holes. I'm torn about welding those last few small holes, as the surrounding sheet metal is now super thin, equivalent to about ohh..........30 gauge.

Trying to weld 30 gauge sheet metal typically results in more burn through than actual welding, and the mess that creates is more work than what it is worth. Given that there are only a few of those, I'm thinking they are gonna just have to get covered over in body filler.

On back, I added another piece of my perforated stainless, and made a 6" diameter nipple to mount my flex hose to.

If you'll remember a year ago, the back of those center fins are open, and ripe to get filled up w/ water. I still have the other side to deal with, and the plan is to get one of those syringe looking 2 part epoxy kits, and fill up the openings. I tried to weld through the perf material to close it up here, but decided that if I'm gonna do the epoxy thing on one side, I'm doing it on both.

14C52EFC-BD7D-45A1-AF47-C090B8D7FD1C_zpsvqjab0an.jpg

I'm so stupid.

Meh,...stupid picture. Supposed to show the fin occlusion as it stands off the body. It's supposed to give you an idea of how the knife edge(s) will direct air into the radiators. Not having the benefit of a college aerodynamic engineering degree, I had to make do w/ the leftover knowledge garnered from my HS days, and made a simulator to determine the rake, and angle of deflection to ensure that I goth the fins set at the right degree to achieve the desired results.

The laboratory in my experiment, was my Ranger. While driving at 70 mph, I rolled down my window, and put the leading edge of my hand at a perpendicular angle to the door. Gradually, I started angling my palm until air started blowing in the car. Once sufficient air was flowing into the cab, measurements were taken to record that angle, which was transferred to the actual gill.

Pffttt.. Who needs a freakin degree.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 3D44FEB8-ED65-429D-8553-9AA7B00E1859_zpsdlthworc.jpg
    3D44FEB8-ED65-429D-8553-9AA7B00E1859_zpsdlthworc.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 83D2A50C-0CCA-483C-BC15-9F39ADA679AF_zpsmvmiegcl.jpg
    83D2A50C-0CCA-483C-BC15-9F39ADA679AF_zpsmvmiegcl.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Yesterday, before the Gill-N-Dectomy, I also needed some resupplying.

Summit sells everything that you need when doing body work, and paint, so I stocked up. Once you spend 100 bucks, they ship for free, so I took advantage of that incentive, and ordered the headlights that have been in my wish list for some time now.

grm-09-1050_hn_xl.jpg

Whether or not I hate them will be determined once I see them in person. They take H4 halogen bulbs, and the halo is separately wired so they can run as park lights/daytime running lights.

Andd....... because I like the way a BMW horn sounds..

I added these:

pia-85110_xl.jpg

These are the good ones. W/ a 500 hz low, and a 600 hz high, rated at 125 db. I'll just routinely honk the horn just to satisfy my need for attention when pulling into a crowd of average motorcar enthusiasts who havent yet noticed that I'm wearing a pretentious hat.

It's getting down to the nitty gritty here,.....save for the windshield, come Christmas time, I'd ordinarily have a mega list of stuff that still needs to be acquired. This year it looks like the only thing I'll need for Christmas is gonna be socks.:roll:

Reactions: 3 users
Well the hits just keep on coming.

Yesterday, I get a call from Rock Auto. Seems that even though I cancelled the order, ( and they refunded my money) the windshield still got shipped.

Dude wants to know if I'm still interested in taking delivery of the windshield at a reduced price. ( so they can save the return truck freight at 170.00 on a 140.00 windshield).
I tell him that I was quoted 300.00 installed locally on the glass, and that he'd have to dramatically discount the glass ( as in free shipping) for me to accept it, as anything more than that would end up costing me more money than my current deal. ( I'm assuming that the local glass installer is charging me at least 150.00 to install the windshield)
He said he'd check into their return shipping costs, and call me back. So today, we'll see if that happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Update # 1999 has me looking for lift supports to to lift, and hold the trunk in the open position. Many has been the time when I have knocked into the stick that is holding up a 40 pound trunk and ended up getting smacked either on the shoulder, or back w/ that guillotine ( huh, spelled it right the first time, couldn't believe that it didn't flag me, so I spell checked it and sure enough,......guillotine)
Anyway, it was just another little "chip" that I had to pound out of the boulder before I can consider moving forward on the body work, as I knew that I had welding to do to fabricate the support mounts.

Determining how long wasn't so hard, getting the lift force figured out was. I weighed the trunk this morning, and it weighs a tick under 40 lbs. After compiling all of the other measurements, I decided that I needed two struts, 19" extended, and at least 14" compressed w/ a lift force of..............hmmm
( I start thinking)

If the trunk weighs 40 lbs, do I need two 20 pounders, or do I need two 40 pounders? I decided I'd call and ask.

I called Lift Support Depot. The nice lady informed me that she was not an engineer, and that they could only recommend a starting point because of that. I told her I understood, and asked for her recommendation. She said the recommended lifting force for a strut that could be mounted at the mid point of the trunk would need to be capable of lifting 1.5 to 2 times the rated weight of the trunk. Each strut.

That meant that I was looking for a strut that was rated at 60-80 pounds of lift force.

While that seemed excessive to me, I took her advice, and went to my local mom-and-pop auto parts store, and found two that would work (25.00 ea.)

I already had 4 10 mm ball studs from some earlier project, so my all-in total for the project was 50 bucks.

I did have to make the lower mount brackets, and I made those out of 1/8th plate, cut at a wonky angle, and folded at 90 degrees. Originally, I riveted them to the lower trunk rail, but after putting the system in use, decided they flexed too much, so I welded those pigs in there, and made some little out riggery dudes to help support the base mounting point.

9437EC00-BF8C-44F8-89B3-47D7086DD8F5_zpsyy8v3s1x.jpg

I only rosette welded them in, I wasn't too keen about having rivets through the drip rail of the trunk.

5201F88E-FE23-434B-A6EB-CD3424425749_zpspdwa9a6b.jpg

They work.

They do push the alignment out of shape, just like the redline hood struts do, but I was able to compensate for that by readjusting the trunk. NBD at this time, cause it's all coming back apart at paint time anyway.

Next I'll work on the remote trunk release for the trunk, because I welded the trunk lock hole shut.

So, now that I can do this for the trunk, ill be doing it for the hood as opposed to spending 100.00 for 50 bucks worth of stuff.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.