Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to blow the dust off of this one.:no:

This update starts last Thursday.

Sometime in my past years I bit on something that cracked tooth 19. I had no idea at the time I cracked tooth 19, but given enough time, it managed to make itself obvious that there was something wrong. It took four dentists and 8 months before one of them, (dentist#3) actually found the crack and declared tooth 19 DOA. The prognosis determined that it be removed,.......surgically removed.

Last Thursday, dentist #4 did just that. Now I'm not a fan of the dentist, and when the words extraction come out of one of their mouths, the words sedation come back out of mine. I was anesthetized. Put to sleep.

When I woke up, There was a gaping hole back there where dead tooth 19 had once lived, and I was loopy. This brings me around to what all this has to do with working on the car. Being loopy, w/ a completely numb left side of my face was not conducive to working on it. It was hotter than hell, and I was tired, so I did the only thing that a person recovering from a tooth19-N-dectomy could do....
I got in my truck, and took my 75/25 welding gas bottle in for a recharge.

I drive real good when chemically "soothed" so as to cope w/ getting one of your molars cut out of your head.

On Friday I was much better.

Previously, I said that the old fuel tank setup was due for replacement. I had ordered a tube type fuel level sending unit rated at 70/10 ohms. Additionally, I got some steel weld fittings for the supply, vent, and return lines.

66C584BC-D89A-4829-9902-EB3DAB7853F7_zpsmoqhjsmy.jpg

The sending unit is 8" long, and the tank is about 9.5" deep. That meant I had to recess the thing so that it would be in the bottom of the tank. I welded the hole closed where the old sender used to be, and welded the fittings in the top, and bottom of the tank.
All of this welding brings about the issue of leaks. I can't say whether or not I have any,..I don't give the tank a chance to leak. I pour in some tank sealer, and tip the tank around until I'm sure that I have coated the weld areas so any potential pinholes will be sealed forever.
7C614696-E451-4D70-BE1E-83420BC1A160_zpsn8pzlq6g.jpg

3207FEF2-AAD3-41D6-8EDE-0C69BB54FDDB_zpsuu4uobsk.jpg

You can just see the red goo when looking through the filler neck hole. That is the sending unit, and the tube on the bottom is running to the center of the tank, so fuel will be picked up from of the middle, as opposed to the side where the fitting is located. I don't know whether that will make a difference, but it made sense to me at the time.

After that, I relocated the fuel pump and filters to the front of the tank, as opposed to the rear where it was before.

E7F3F5BE-9359-4364-86D8-2C273CC4BE09_zps0005plmz.jpg

Then came Saturday. and Sunday.

Then the following Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and today.

Spent in hell. Trying to make the rear facade move from "unfinished", to "finished"

It's still not done.

265857C5-9EDA-4373-BF4C-DD771664B4FE_zps8uzlyhmg.jpg

Despite my feeble attempt at making sure the welds were properly ground, and matched up so as to have a smooth body line, by the time filler started to get slathered on, high spots started rearing their head. All along the bulkhead weld seam, where you couldn't simply peck the high spot down. I had to grind the high spot, which in turn turned the surrounding sheet metal into toilet paper. You can see one of them poking his pimply ass through on the lower quarter, right below the previously hacked one, barely covered in filler.

I had no choice at this point, I had to keep at it. Everytime I'd butcher a high spot, a new one would show right back up. The real frustrating part of all of this is that it would get so close, and then there it would be,......Mr. Shiner, threatening to poke it's head back through if I made one more stoke w/ the samding block.

I gave up. I'm wrecked.

All of this "body work" done mostly by hand. Despite the fact that I went Saturday, and spent almost 200.00 on air tools from Harbor Freight, the fact that they were harbor Freight air tools make them pretty useless.

The Air file?.......It's an air hog, and requires so much CFM, it literally dies after one minute of use. Supposed to consume 6 CFM @ 90 PSI, My compressor didn't even turn back on before that flaming piece of crap would just stop.

Harbor freight sand paper? It garbage. The 36 grit stuff would tear in half sometimes immediately.

It wasn't all bad, The Jitterbug worked like it was supposed to, but again, the paper. This time the stuff didn't tear, it just didn't fit. Every piece had to have 1/4" cut off of it everytime. I don't know whether the sander was sized wrong, or the paper, but it was a pain in the ass just the same.

I bought a whole bunch of other "consumables" to finish my sanding/grinding/cutting. I expect they'll be stellar performers as well.

So, frustrated, covered in white dust as of this minute, covered in sweat, and smelling like 3 goats, I' manage to stop at this point.

But,....wait.....I wonder how hard it would be to scrape off the paint with a single edge razor blade?

D63CF826-73A4-4A2E-89CC-E17684F12B0E_zpspqvcknku.jpg

I tell ya, I'm like a dog. I get distracted in a heartbeat. I can say that scraping the paint off that quarter w/ a razorblade was the easiest thing I've done in the last 5 days though.

06D47286-4652-4061-BD02-B165609C8AC0_zpshc6lc0ic.jpg

Then,.....because I'm as tired as you are of looking at the same damn thing,.....I jerry rigged the tail light lenses in place.

1368494E-5C5B-4A3C-AE37-A7E25C108BFA_zpsuahrz0eg.jpg

This is supposed to be the money shot. But as with everything I do in this build, there always seems to be a thunderstorm, raining on my parade.

The tail lights are wrong. The left one is 1/4" deeper than the right one. How in the hell this happened is beyond me, and short of completely cutting the rear panel off that the tail lights bolt to and redoing it, that is the only way to fix the discrepancy. I'm so ****ed right now, you don't even know.

Yeah, the trunk is sealed shut in filler. I'll cut it back out when I get everything finished. Ironic actually, I was so worried about making sure that the trunk will completely blend into the rear facade, and now I have a wonky assed tail light instead.

Despite the tail light issue it looks fantastic, Mike. Can't wait to see it in paint!

• Sponsors (?)

I can't figure how you might have done that either Mike. :chin

Once you figure it out though... Cut a ring and shim one out a quarter of an inch.

My only thought is this and mind you, I don't know what the footprint of the light assembly is:

One of the cut-outs is slightly larger that the other and allowing the assembly to sit deeper in?

Despite the tail light issue it looks fantastic, Mike. Can't wait to see it in paint!

I think it looks good too, I'm pretty sure that it will look great when it's finished and painted.
Can you build a false panel on the left and even them out without carving it up?
I can't figure how you might have done that either Mike. :chin

Once you figure it out though... Cut a ring and shim one out a quarter of an inch.

My only thought is this and mind you, I don't know what the footprint of the light assembly is:

One of the cut-outs is slightly larger that the other and allowing the assembly to sit deeper in?

No, it's pretty simple actually.
Here, lets do a little exercise:

E87141F1-101B-4A5F-A494-1A818D00DF42_zpsnruwzofq.jpg

The difference is imperceptible from this rear view.

1499FDF6-A283-480C-AF1C-8D15CDC0ABB9_zpset79xrc2.jpg

And you cant really see it when looking across at an exaggerated view angle like this.

The only way you can see it is standing directly above, looking down at the corner of the lens standoff.

ED9771CA-4E26-4452-ACC3-2578A52F8C61_zpsddjjicif.jpg

90B51E09-350F-412E-8C58-91A24554C75B_zpsry2zq9ba.jpg

In reality it just comes down to bad bodywork. ( which evidently I'm really good at.......actually doing bad body work) From the jump, I knew there was about an 1/8th" actual difference between the sides. But after looking at it this morning now that I'm not wiped out, the problem is obvious.

I have too much filler on the left side, and not enough on the right. When measuring at the center corners, there is no difference, so just "shimming" the deeper unit out will be difficult as the shim would have to be tapered.

When I decided to insure that the trunk overhang blended into the rear fascia, and smeared the rear of the deck w/ filler, I took a shortcut, and used the damn jitterbug to get it leveled. That has created a wonkyness between the sides. (Look at how much bare metal is showing on the right as compared to the right....including the little high spot directly over the upper right corner)

I can fix this, but it's gonna involve a little too much "creative license" w/ the boys from Bondo town. I have no Idea how much will end up being on there for sure , but I'd imagine that there'll be an additional 1/8" on the right rear corner to bring it to an even keel when compared to the other side.

To some, upon hearing that I'll have that much on there may cause an eyeball to roll, but the whole how much bondo is too much bondo thing is wasted on me, as I never really know how much I have on the car anyway, and I'm damn sure not gonna take it all back off.

All I know is that it seems like in the last 5 days I've put 73,000 lbs of the junk on there, and it feels like I've hand sanded 72,995 lbs back off. All out of a one gallon container. I'm only putting enough of the stuff to finish out a contour, sharpen a line, or flatten the panel, and taking everything back off the ends up being excessive.

Last edited:
To distance myself from the bodywork hell a little bit, I decided to start roughing the ducktail spoiler. In my original plans that spoiler is to be made from 3003 alloy 1/4" thick aluminum, held at an angle w/ some form of mount bracket. Yesterday, I started on that task.
C0EB2112-494F-48F6-8642-6B78A5D78436_zpsnmq5eljm.jpg

Two obvious problems when trying to make a flat piece of aluminum fit my trunk, one was that the trunk crowned up, and the other was that the trunk crowned to the rear. I made the little angle mounts as temporaries to hold the aluminum at the right angle, then scribed a line from underneath to serve as a cut line.

I used a portable band saw to cut it and it worked pretty good. After the first cut I was able to set the thing back up there, and get a much more critical line drawn that I had to meticulously follow w/ that stinkin hand held band saw. Once I got it cut, and despite being ever so careful, the cut line still wasn't perfect. Fortunately I was able to file the thing to get it to fit decently enough. I placed the thing back up on there, and decided to bend the outside corners to follow the upsweep on the quarters. That took some doing, considering it is 1/4" thick, but fortunately, 3003 aluminum is fairly soft, and I wasn't trying to fold the junk at 90 degrees. So I beat it with a hammer over that 8.8 axle tube you may have noticed in other pics.
2D901873-CF24-4705-A5C8-822096C10A83_zps4vsgc6fp.jpg

After I got it up there, it became apparent that I was gonna have to make the same radiused cut on the rear of the thing to match the front, so I fashioned a quickie ding dang deal to allow me to scribe the rear of the thing exactly like the front.

3C018704-6175-497E-A27E-A396A0AD7517_zpszmg8egod.jpg

It fits............decently.

The mounts are still a point of contention. In actuality, I intend to use the ones in the pics, only modified. I think I'll weld a diagonal just below the upper cleco, and make it into a triangle. Obviously, the extra junk hanging below that cleco would be cut away. Before welding the diagonal, I'd drill the mount to accommodate a 1/4" button head screw and insert that dude first, then weld that last piece in, cause I don't think I could sneak the bolt in if I tried it afterwards.

All of this is moot, considering I can't get into the trunk to drill/cut/do what has to be done to put a nut on the back of the button head bolt anyways until after I finish the body work so I can cut the trunk back open. And that means I gotta go back to hell.

Attachments

• 2D901873-CF24-4705-A5C8-822096C10A83_zps4vsgc6fp.jpg
    2D901873-CF24-4705-A5C8-822096C10A83_zps4vsgc6fp.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 users
Ohhh ok...
Somewhere back there,...a million replies before, I posted a pic of the Monte Carlo SS that was gonna be used as a guide to follow. Although I've really changed nothing with regard to the angles of the original tail lights when viewed from the side, the fact that the quarter integrates into that angle, followed by the bumper makes it flow more like the MC SS. And you're right, the "Monster tail" just adds to that similarity.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.