Status
Not open for further replies.
My sammich may look like all the other sammich'es out there, but it certainly has something different between the slices of bread!
Let's not confuse the issue.

It doesn't matter what's Inside. You can have American, pimento, Swiss, or some spicy assed pepper jack between the bread, but the fact remains, its still a cheese sandwich.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Stop! ........Waffle time.
brian_dancing_banana_by_zorkky.gif

Ohhh, ohhh, ohhhh.( in the tune of Hammer Time)

I worked on the hood a little yesterday. Just long enough to consider declaring the hood beyond saving.

When I decided to cut the scoops off the hood to fix the wonkiness between the two of them, the resulting holes are now too big. Of the two options I have to fix that, one involves patching the over cut w/ filler strips, or redoing the scoops oversized to cover the huge assed holes. On one hand, The labor to redo the scoops is about a two day process, and then I still have to integrate them into the now tortured hood, and Welding in filler strips to take up the gap is just a J. F. waiting to happen.

I looked online to see if any local salvage yards had a hood here locally, but none were w/i 200 miles of me. I called a local yard today, ( a junk yard now mind you) and asked the guy that answered if he could help me find a hood for my old assed car.

He said "Your old what car?" I made sure I repeated the words "Old Assed Car"..... After which he replied " I thought I heard a.s.s, ( he spells the word) but I just wanted to be sure that's what you said".

Really? Even the word ASS is offensive to people? I just can't imagine how this guy manages to run a JY with the typical yard rats that sift through one of those places daily, and not just have his ears burn clean off his head from the language that would routinely just fly around the room as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I digress.

He doesn't have one ( naturally) so he puts out the request on their connected junk yard broadcast system. I'm listening to his conversation, as he's only set the phone down, as opposed to placing it on hold. ( He's skeptical that anybody will return his call out)

But somebody in fact does. He gives me the number, I thank the guy, and I call the new guy.
The new guy says that he's not sure that he has a hood, but he knows that he's gotta a " couple em old cars out yonder" and he'll have to go look and call me back, and that he needed a couple of days, maybe middle of next week before he'd be able to get to that.

What?

You need 5 days to go look and see if one of the derelict cars you have on your lot still has a hood on it?

Am I hearing you right?

I tell the guy I don't mind the 40 mile drive, and I'd be willing to look for him if he'll let me walk the yard,.......

He don't like that idea.

He says I'm just gonna have to be patient, and he'll call me just as soon as he can get to it.

I give the guy my number.

To my surprise, he calls w/i the hour, and tells me I got lucky, that one of the cars actually still had the hood on it.
Great. Looks like you weren't too busy after all. How much you gotta have for it? I ask, and he tells me 100.00.
But he's fixin to close ( at 11:00 AM) and I'd have to wait till Monday to come get it.

WTF?

" OK, I've got other stuff to keep me busy any way, I'll head your way on Monday morning."

The south............to know what it's like to live here,.....you just gotta live here.

Between the one guy walking around w/ cotton in his ears, and the other guy singin' the " I wish I was a baby bumblebee" song to himself, every day here is another day in paradise .

The whole reason for the story ( other than it just wouldn't be me if I didn't have one to tell) is now I'm gonna have another virgin hood from an obsolete supply.
Although I like the look of the scoops, I'm now very leery of cutting and welding on the new one. The fact remains is I still need a modicum amount of underhood clearance so that the compressor won't hit the hood. One way, or the other, I'm either gonna have to blister that thing ( with blister version 3.0 ), or try to reintegrate the old scoops into the new hood, a path that once started down on can not be altered.

So like the title says,.........waffle time.

Last edited:
He said "Your old what car?" I made sure I repeated the words "Old Assed Car"..... After which he replied " I thought I heard a.s.s, ( he spells the word) but I just wanted to be sure that's what you said".

Really? Even the word ASS is offensive to people? I just can't imagine how this guy manages to run a JY with the typical yard rats that sift through one of those places daily, and not just have his ears burn clean off his head from the language that would routinely just fly around the room as a matter of fact.

This is America and freedom of speech is one of the foundation stones of this great county we live in. Freedom of expression is an important part of who we are as a nation and as people. Jump and shout, swing your arms wildly, that's OK; you are expressing yourself, exercising your freedom to do so.

However, my freedom of expression stops 1/4" from the end of your nose. Any closer than that and you may justifiably feel offended or threatened.

One of the hallmarks of this great nation is the majority of us have respect and toleration of other people's ideas, rights and feelings. Without that, we would be a land of petty tyrants; the one with the loudest voice and greatest might would drown out everyone else.

With that understanding in mind, our language and demeanor should respect the other person. The word ass, when used to refer to anything but the King James English word for donkey, is certainly offensive to many people.

One of the marks of greatness is the ability and willingness to be gracious to other people and respect their feelings and ideas. While you may not agree, with them, you are respectful of them and their feelings and ideas. Every person is of infinite value and worth, even the ones that don't look like you, think like you, act like you or speak like you.

I have been here on Stangnet for 15 years, and unless my memory is bad, Mike Raburn said that this was a family place and that he did not want to see foul or abusive language on this site. With that having been said, let us ALL be considerate of the feeling and morals of others in the words we use here. if my grandchildren look over my shoulder and ask me "What's THAT word Grandpa?", I don't want to have to explain someone else's poor choice of words. Spaces in words and deliberate mistyping's in an attempt to slip by the preventive filters are a poor excuse for a lack of thought for a better choice of words. Stangnet is to be a place of excellence, so lets all do our part to make it excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is America and freedom of speech is one of the foundation stones of this great county we live in. Freedom of expression is an important part of who we are as a nation and as people. Jump and shout, swing your arms wildly, that's OK; you are expressing yourself, exercising your freedom to do so.

However, my freedom of expression stops 1/4" from the end of your nose. Any closer than that and you may justifiably feel offended or threatened.

One of the hallmarks of this great nation is the majority of us have respect and toleration of other people's ideas, rights and feelings. Without that, we would be a land of petty tyrants; the one with the loudest voice and greatest might would drown out everyone else.

With that understanding in mind, our language and demeanor should respect the other person. The word ass, when used to refer to anything but the King James English word for donkey, is certainly offensive to many people.

One of the marks of greatness is the ability and willingness to be gracious to other people and respect their feelings and ideas. While you may not agree, with them, you are respectful of them and their feelings and ideas. Every person is of infinite value and worth, even the ones that don't look like you, think like you, act like you or speak like you.

I have been here on Stangnet for 15 years, and unless my memory is bad, Mike Raburn said that this was a family place and that he did not want to see foul or abusive language on this site. With that having been said, let us ALL be considerate of the feeling and morals of others in the words we use here. if my grandchildren look over my shoulder and ask me "What's THAT word Grandpa?", I don't want to have to explain someone else's poor choice of words. Spaces in words and deliberate mistyping's in an attempt to slip by the preventive filters are a poor excuse for a lack of thought for a better choice of words. Stangnet is to be a place of excellence, so lets all do our part to make it excellent.

I believe that there are two extremes to censorship. On one hand, the entertainment industry ( movies, and music ) has taken liberties with what should have been scrutinized more closely before being released for public consumption. While at the same time, the " bible censors" think that Rhett Butlers' response to Scarlett O'Hara's plea for what to do, would have had the same impact if the word darn was substituted for damn, makes it almost laughable to consider what it could possibly harm.

Expletives, colorful metaphors, cuss words, foul language, what ever you wanna call it has been around since the English language was first uttered. While I believe that trash mouth speaking is out of place in a lot of places, I also consider it naive that people attempt to shelter children from it when it flows so preventaly in grade school.

Every one of us w/ o exception heard our first cuss words there. After hearing them, no child became a social introvert, was emotionally damaged, or resorted to using the words they heard in everyday speech around the teacher, or their parents.

My point being ( and you being a service member) is that of all the places for the word "ass" ( which coincidently gets by just fine in Stangnets' preventative filters w/ o resorting to using creative tactics to " slip it by") is by comparison "PG" when it comes to the other words that you typically find flying around any venue where grown men gather. ( Like a junk yard). For any man to get his panties in a wad over that word usage when the only person(s) that could have heard it was him, ( since it was a phone conversation) suggests that that guy never went to third grade.

Reactions: 2 users

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

The more we allow, the more we lose. Look at the America round us today, compared to years past. I work in a field where I hear cursing nonstop. What I have noticed is that most people taper it down when they are around me. I see this two ways: one, the don't want to offend me, or two, I am a good influence on them. I'll take either way.

Joe

But seriously, @madmike1157 I purchased a no-weld panel install kit from eastwood some years back that got great reviews. It came with flanging pliers, cleco fasteners, dimpling pliers for rivet holes and that krazy adhesive used to glue bedsides onto modern pickups. I was going to use it to un-install a sunroof in a 65 pickup, but unfortunately had to sell the project before I could use the kit. My point is, welding isn't the only answer, as you probably are perfectly aware.. these modern adhesives can hold the world, man. I would certainly consider that for version 2.0 over welding to affix the scoops, blister, cowl, G- bump, what have you.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

The more we allow, the more we lose. Look at the America round us today, compared to years past. I work in a field where I hear cursing nonstop. What I have noticed is that most people taper it down when they are around me. I see this two ways: one, the don't want to offend me, or two, I am a good influence on them. I'll take either way.

Joe

I'll admit to being more foul than I should as a good example at times. Problem is, for me it seems to be contagious. Being immersed in it all day like much like you describe, I find myself beginning to blend into my surroundings. *sigh* As much as one strives to be perfect, sadly, it is unattainable.

edit: The bad thing about it? When I do slip up I look like a hipocrite. Which is even more reason for me to work on it.

Last edited:
I am who I am I guess.

To be sure the picture I've painted for myself isn't of a drunken sailor, I speak in public much like I write. If I know the group, and they know me, you get the " unrated" version. In public, you get a Pg 13 filter.

It doesn't happen often that I'll just throw out a " modifier" when speaking to somebody I don't know, because,.....well, I don't know you. That still doesn't change the fact that I'm taken aback when I do, and somebody gets their toes stepped on.

It's always that way now. Every bodies gotta worry about not stepping on some bodies toes.

That's why every sign in Walmart is printed in two languages, small children get " participation trophies" in T- ball, and ABC affiliate station managers tried to get NYPD Blue dropped from their local programming for fear of offending someone that didn't know how to push a button.

Reactions: 1 users
@madmike1157

So. What are the plans for Gila hood 2.0? What are your thoughts on what direction this time?

edit again: .....or are we still in waffle mode? Thoughts. That's really all I'm asking here.

Last edited:
@madmike1157

So. What are the plans for Gila hood 2.0? What are your thoughts on what direction this time?

edit again: .....or are we still in waffle mode? Thoughts. That's really all I'm asking here.
I don't have a plan actually. Like I said, I like the hood scoops, and now they're cut off and " linked" together w/ 2 bars in an effort to keep them on the same plane w/ each other,......they are ripe to take their place on the new hood.

I spent the day prepping and and priming the blasted parts. The hood is a YTD kinda thing.

@madmike1157 sorry for the off topic banter here...
The participation trophy........:nonono:

How can you learn the need for hard work and effort if you get rewarded for failure.

All these (I don't want my feelings hurt) people, I was raised without "feelings". I guess.

I couldn't agree more! To this end, I was pleasantly surprised after meeting my daughters kindergarten teacher at back to school night. She was very frank in saying that children in her class will not receive participation awards, she went on further to say that while most kids will do satisfactory that is all that they will receive credit for. To roughly quote her here "Your child will only receive outstanding marks for work that is truly outstanding, if he/she demonstrates abilities that rival Beethoven or Picasso then and only then will they be recognized for doing so." In a society that rewards satisfactory work and lends itself towards becoming a society of entitled people it is refreshing to see that my daughter will have to work for high marks at her first year in school.

@madmike1157 sorry for the off topic banter here...

I couldn't agree more! To this end, I was pleasantly surprised after meeting my daughters kindergarten teacher at back to school night. She was very frank in saying that children in her class will not receive participation awards, she went on further to say that while most kids will do satisfactory that is all that they will receive credit for. To roughly quote her here "Your child will only receive outstanding marks for work that is truly outstanding, if he/she demonstrates abilities that rival Beethoven or Picasso then and only then will they be recognized for doing so." In a society that rewards satisfactory work and lends itself towards becoming a society of entitled people it is refreshing to see that my daughter will have to work for high marks at her first year in school.

And here I thought that I was gonna have to carry the inconsiderate, compassion less, swearing sailor banner by myself, w/o any commentary from the rafters.

I guess it all depends on the conversation. As evidence in this very thread ,( numerous times). One minute, I gotta worry about who I offended, and at the same time worry about looking like a liberal weenie because I don't want somebody to stick a tube of lipstick in a monkey's eye for the sake of certifying it safe for human consumption. Then, in the same breath, not get punched by some parent, because he overheard me say that I don't think that the 6 year old participants in some youth soccer team didn't deserve a participation trophy just becaus he " did".

And here I thought that I was gonna have to carry the inconsiderate, compassion less, swearing sailor banner by myself, w/o any commentary from the rafters.

I guess it all depends on the conversation. As evidence in this very thread ,( numerous times). One minute, I gotta worry about who I offended, and at the same time worry about looking like a liberal weenie because I don't want somebody to stick a tube of lipstick in a monkey's eye for the sake of certifying it safe for human consumption. Then, in the same breath, not get punched by some parent, because he overheard me say that I don't think that the 6 year old participants in some youth soccer team didn't deserve a participation trophy just becaus he " did".
This response is so much better than the "no f****'s given" campaign that the youth of America (yeah, my friends...) use daily on their social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.