Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

My MS system should arrive today and I've read different things on how to set the timing. Here's my plan, tell me if I'm being dumb.

Set the base timing at 10° with the A9L with the SPOUT removed, then check it with the MS2PNP installed and adjust trigger angle in TS unitl it's matching the 10° I see with the timing light and then set "fixed advance" back to "use table" and then DO NOT reconnect the SPOUT right?
Correct, although I put my spout back in. And your timing is going to be off with the timing light, so adjusting the trigger angle brings it back to 10°.

• Sponsors (?)

Correct, although I put my spout back in. And your timing is going to be off with the timing light, so adjusting the trigger angle brings it back to 10°.
Don't mean to derail here but..... just drop distributor in set the notch on the distributor to the notch on the Block this should be somewhere close to 10 degrees put the mega squirt in and start the car check the timing with the option set in the trigger wizard to fix timing at 20 degrees you should see 20 degrees exactly on the balancer if you don't adjust the trigger wizard. Of course you can still pull the spout with the mega squirt in the car and set the base timing. The TFI system works the same way as it did with the stock ECU. If you have any other questions related to this or need a walkthrough PM me and I can give you my number I can walk you through all of it over the phone

Thanks, and yeah I'm just going to confirm that the base timing is at 10 degrees before I do anything with the MS2PNP as it will eliminate a variable... I still don't have the package in my hands yet as I'm waiting on USPS.

So I am picking up a 5.0 bracket tonight. Gonna whoop out some more of the trusty flat bar and Frankenstein it on to the 351. Should be pretty easy but we'll see. I'll post pictures for everyone to laugh at either way. No F*n way I am paying $100 for the swap bracket. That's highway robbery. I asked LMR what gives and they said, "different design so it costs more." That's the most democrat answer I've ever heard to charge more for an extra inch of material.

So I am picking up a 5.0 bracket tonight. Gonna whoop out some more of the trusty flat bar and Frankenstein it on to the 351. Should be pretty easy but we'll see. I'll post pictures for everyone to laugh at either way. No F*n way I am paying $100 for the swap bracket. That's highway robbery. I asked LMR what gives and they said, "different design so it costs more." That's the most democrat answer I've ever heard to charge more for an extra inch of material.

I hear some folks would pay big money for an extra inch.... Just sayin.

Brace yourselves! The productive juices were flowing last night!

First, I got the valve train finished - FINALLY...

rZQRGn.jpg

On the way home, a buddy gave me some bolts and the A/C bracket I needed for my science project that would become a 351 A/C bracket.

I still needed the stud that the PS pump hangs on, so I decided to get creative and just made one. Voila!

LY3ghv.jpg

After putting the parts and pieces on, this is how far off we were.
vhOdlX.jpg

Time to cut!
BUCqqY.jpg

And here's the two piecs bolted into the respective locations.
nTkBoI.jpg

From there, I tacked some scrap metal between the two pieces to hold the dimensions. I cut some flat stock and started welding it in.

7lP9n9.jpg

i3RDZM.jpg

By the time the last pic was taken, the welder was at the top of the duty cycle and the leads were getting HOT so I shut it down for the night. I will finish it up. The little TIG did pretty well overall, it's me that needs the help, haha. My helmet lens is garbage too and difficult to see out of, so I need to replace that.

Overall, I am very pleased. Still to do is tighten down the rockers and install the intake for good. Once the motor mounts get here, I can drop it in and get to fabbing on the hot side.

Ht0Isv.jpg

Here's the motor as it sits too. So close!

Reactions: 10 users
Always a shame to bolt on valve covers and hide those pretty roller rockers. We need to start making them out of transparent aluminum.

So you can program pretty much whatever you want. Is it similar, or better/worse than quarter horse?
I have no experience with QH, but from what I've read, this is much easier. @bird_dog0347 had his up and running within minutes of install. I built my MS and had it running with relative ease as well with the 302 in the car.

Reactions: 1 user
So you can program pretty much whatever you want. Is it similar, or better/worse than quarter horse?
I have no experience with QH, but from what I've read, this is much easier. @bird_dog0347 had his up and running within minutes of install. I built my MS and had it running with relative ease as well with the 302 in the car.

Mine was more expensive than @hoopty5.0 by about double as mine came fully assembled and took less than an hour to install and get the car started. It literally started up on the first turn of the key and only needed a few things to get it running right, you can see my build thread for details on that.

Reactions: 1 user