Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

I just noticed I made mention of "we" several times in the post, not sure why. The only other being in the garage was my dog and she's about as useful as you'd expect. Need to train her to get beers.

• Sponsors (?)

I just noticed I made mention of "we" several times in the post, not sure why. The only other being in the garage was my dog and she's about as useful as you'd expect. Need to train her to get beers.

The merge can be made w/o the kerfs. When I need to shrink a piece of tubing to choke it down to a smaller neck size, I'll just get a crescent wrench and nibble little inward bends while working my way around the tube. I start out w/ a small bite, and as I get around to the start point, find that I have reduced the OD dramatically in just that one pass. If it needs a second go around, then I do it. but,..

I'd use your existing merge and be done with it. I might try to tack the thing in a few places and beat it to conform a little, but whose gonna see that anyway? And,...You'll more than likely end up wrapping that anyway......so....use it.

See,.....not one wise crack.

Reactions: 4 users
The merge can be made w/o the kerfs. When I need to shrink a piece of tubing to choke it down to a smaller neck size, I'll just get a crescent wrench and nibble little inward bends while working my way around the tube. I start out w/ a small bite, and as I get around to the start point, find that I have reduced the OD dramatically in just that one pass. If it needs a second go around, then I do it. but,..

I'd use your existing merge and be done with it. I might try to tack the thing in a few places and beat it to conform a little, but whose gonna see that anyway? And,...You'll more than likely end up wrapping that anyway......so....use it.

See,.....not one wise crack.

It's a little crooked, too. But I think that would actually work to my advantage by helping sneak past the frame rail. But I will see about saving it, and you're right. It'll be wrapped and hidden.

Wrap a coil of ground wire in a circle on the table around your work piece. Be sure the current flows opposite the direction you are welding. This is the only sure fire way to keep warping to a minimum. For extra insurance turn the bill of your welding cap the opposite direction as well..

Reactions: 1 users
Wrap a coil of ground wire in a circle on the table around your work piece. Be sure the current flows opposite the direction you are welding. This is the only sure fire way to keep warping to a minimum. For extra insurance turn the bill of your welding cap the opposite direction as well..
I was being serious, this is how it was explained to me by a pipe fitter welding flanges.

I'm not so sure that rapid heating and cooling is your answer. @a91what is on the right track though, as that's the best way to do flanges and axle tubes and things of that nature. Another popular thing to do is preheating the working surface, again a common suggested when welding axle tubes.
Ive been known to be wrong but i'd almost think that welding and cooling and welding and cooling and welding and cooling and welding and cooling and welding and cooling and welding and cooling would be more apt to warp.

.....And welding and cooling....

Reactions: 3 users
Actually, stitch welding a little at a time is the best idea with no quenching. Weld stitches opposite one another, alternating sides. Allow to air cool between stitches. Ground wire and welding cap optional.

Reactions: 1 user
Like what?

A welder?

How did we go from 50 different ways to correctly weld a flange to a brake job.

I'm telling ya.

Bolt the flange to the turbo, and move around like Allen& Steve recommended.

Do not quench that weld, or you'll have the closest thing to hardend tool steel that can be made in a garage.

And that, will be a son of a btch to mill/drill/file if you still have some war page.

The monster t4 flange warped like mad. It crowned so bad I had to mill it. But my flange was on Medusa, and trying to clamp that thing to a Bridgeport table was a pain in the ass.

Reactions: 1 user
image.jpeg

Work will continue tomorrow. I'm in the fetal position for now. For those of you saltwater anglers, this 47" Cobia was caught in San Antonio bay in 12" of water on a soft plastic. Insane.

Reactions: 2 users