Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

@hoopty5.0

I know you're interested in the MegaSquirt just like I am and I took somebodies advice here on Stangnet and looked up the Stinger box. Turns out the same person that helped create MegaSquirt went to Stinger and created MicroSquirt PiMP. Basically the same thing as MS PNP but nearly $150 less. Cool thing about the Stinger box is that it comes loaded with a base tune plus has an auto tune feature that literally tunes while you drive. @90lxcoupe is the guy that recommends this tuner over MS.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is the auto tune feature, I'm digging this!

VE Analyze Live! - Tune For You - Yes it really does tune the car for you while you drive! Starting with concepts of VE Analyze in MegaLogViewer 2.95 and taking it to the next level with dynamic offset record seeking. Whether your just running with rough tables or have already put hours into your tune, VE Analyze Live will dial in your fuel tables to a new state. Why does it work so well? By combining a vast tuning experience with expertise in data analytics you can leverage technology to improve your tune. An expert tuner can look at a data log record and know what changes that record is looking for, but one record can only tell so much. At best a record only shows the inputs and results at that instant in time with many other outside factors effecting the data. One record nay tell you one thing, but another on the same cell will say something else. To produce the best results you need to look at each record, identify and discard the ones that are junk due to other factors, then consider ALL quality data. That is where the human brain fails, it simply can not consider the full picture, computers can. As you drive VE Analyze live will look at all the data, filter what the junk and use weighted statistical averages to calculate the optimal values for you Fuel tables.

Reactions: 1 users
the DIY autotune stuff has VE analyze also but what i liked better about the stinger box is that you can have them add a 2 step among other inputs if needed. With my plug and play box from DIY i would have to send the box in for those updates.

the DIY autotune stuff has VE analyze also but what i liked better about the stinger box is that you can have them add a 2 step among other inputs if needed. With my plug and play box from DIY i would have to send the box in for those updates.
Cool deal. I'm still working towards the W build I PMd you about a while back. Just taking a while to get there.

My MS PNP2 has efi live, and a two step. A lot of other features also that I'll probably never take the time to learn..

for the two step you are sent extra pins for the harness you install and wire in with inline switches etc..

How are you liking the MS? How long have you had? What engine setup do you have?

Well, It's far enough from stock the base tune wouldn't make it run.. correctly anyway. A friend of mine and I played with a table long enough to make a few pulls on the road and find more bugs that need working out. Now that hopefully that's done, it's going in for a dyno tune Dec 5th, mostly because I'm too busy with work and family to push through the learning curve.

Well, It's far enough from stock the base tune wouldn't make it run.. correctly anyway. A friend of mine and I played with a table long enough to make a few pulls on the road and find more bugs that need working out. Now that hopefully that's done, it's going in for a dyno tune Dec 5th, mostly because I'm too busy with work and family to push through the learning curve.

Does your setup have the auto tune? Did it not work very well? How much did you get quoted for your dyno tune?

Eventful day today. Brought home the 302 I'll be cleaning and freshening up.

rGf29R.jpg

Also came with all the accessory brackets, so I can get them blasted and off to powder coating:
rhRvQK.jpg

Sometimes, i wonder what I've gained from owning so many foxes along the way. Today, that answer was PARTS!!! My car doesn't have a front sway bar and I HATE cornering. I remembered sticking one up in the attic sometime in the past few years. The payoff was a complete front swaybar with ALL of the hardware, and in useable condition!

Cnnufo.jpg

Oh, and here's a fox.

vU7PH1.jpg

Attachments

• rGf29R.jpg
    rGf29R.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 115
  • rhRvQK.jpg
    rhRvQK.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Cnnufo.jpg
    Cnnufo.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 133
  • vU7PH1.jpg
    vU7PH1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks man, it's getting there. It truly is enjoyable to drive now. Soon, we will start making more power.
Here,...let me take the liberty. Then in a few months, you can just cut and paste.

After swapping the 302 for my old tired stocker, (because I wanted something I could trust for daily driving duty) I just couldn't resist adding all of the parts that I've had stock piled in the interest of making a little more power. Adding to that, I came across a smoking deal on an On3 complete setup that was just too good to pass up, a little while back, so I pulled the trigger, and popped for the 76mm setup for a sweet 500.00 complete.:banana:

** edit** After spending a little over 43 straight, sleepless hours over the weekend (Cause it is my daily driver, and I have tobe back at work on Monday) I had the thing up and running. To that end, all I can say is.....Man! I forgot what a rush driving a boosted combo feels like!!! The thing gets so violent, first through third gears are worthless if you leave your foot planted. Before I got in this thing to take a test drive I was dead tired, but now, I'm revived! ( Good thing, cause it's 3AM Monday, and I gotta be at work by 7)

** Edit to the edit**
Somebody remind me why I bought this thing in the first place? Go back and point out as to why I sold my gas guzzling F150 and justified to the Mrs. that I could have my cake and eat it too in the form of a well tuned 5.0 in a fox body?
Now that all the performance mods are in place, and the turbo sings it's seductive Siren song to me, I just go everywhere with my foot on the floor. Last time I bothered to ck milage, it was 11 mpg combined. Doing the math, that's 2 less than the F150got, and I cant even haul a load of manure in this thing.:nonono:

*** Edit to the edited edit***
Antifreeze.
I went out to go to work this morning, and was met w/ a puddle of antifreeze that was coming from under the car. I don't have time to look at it this morning, so I had to drive the wifes' car to work, I'll deal w/ the problem when I get home tonight.

****Epilogue****
Looks like a spit HG.
I should have known something like this would happen. Seems to me I remember that somebody earlier in my progress thread made reference to the addiction that making the first performance mod actually resembles. To that, I can now say the following:

Hi, My name is Collin, and I'm a Mod-O-Holic.

I took apart the 302 today to inspect. It's not in useable shape as I'd hoped, so I'm going to explore some options. I get married in 3 weeks so it's going to be quiet in here until all that dust settles out.

I did install the sway bar and removed that stupid ass crank under drive pulley finally. Every time it idles for more than 5 minutes it gets hot and I cussed myself each time for forgetting to take it off and put the stock pulley back on. So it's done finally. The tensioner pulley crapped out as well so that was replaced. The smog pump needs to come off, it's making noises. Always something.

I took apart the 302 today to inspect. It's not in useable shape as I'd hoped, so I'm going to explore some options. I get married in 3 weeks so it's going to be quiet in here until all that dust settles out.

I did install the sway bar and removed that stupid ass crank under drive pulley finally. Every time it idles for more than 5 minutes it gets hot and I cussed myself each time for forgetting to take it off and put the stock pulley back on. So it's done finally. The tensioner pulley crapped out as well so that was replaced. The smog pump needs to come off, it's making noises. Always something.
good luck on the upcoming nuptials! A Christmas time wedding huh? Congrats mayne!

Reading your post just reminded me that my 8yr wedding anniversary is coming up Dec 9th, thanks for keeping me off the couch bro! Now I just need to remember to not forget to get her a gift in the mean time.

It's my 29th this Dec 31st.

At the time we thought having a anniversary on new years eve would be cool, but just try to get a table at a restaurant at around 7PM that isn't serving a $$$ set menu w/ stupid hats, noisy horn blowers, and cheap champagne.
Couple that to the fact that you just went out and blew all of your disposable (read non-car) money on a big assed Christmas gift for her, and now, you gotta top that w/ an anniversary gift 5 days later.

What was I thinking?

@madmike1157 ^^You were young(er) and thinking "wow an anniversary on new years eve would always be fun, it'd be a party every year". And then you got old(er) and grumpy(er) and now it's :doh:

Just go out the next day when everyone is sleeping off their hang over and it'll be nice and quiet. That's the way I like it.

edit: Congrats on 29 years. Long marriages like this are almost unheard of these days with the way people are treating marriage. Don't people do what they say, say what the do? It's called a VOW, not a JOKE.

@madmike1157 ^^You were young(er) and thinking "wow an anniversary on new years eve would always be fun, it'd be a party every year". And then you got old(er) and grumpy(er) and now it's :doh:

Just go out the next day when everyone is sleeping off their hang over and it'll be nice and quiet. That's the way I like it.

edit: Congrats on 29 years. Long marriages like this are almost unheard of these days with the way people are treating marriage. Don't people do what they say, say what the do? It's called a VOW, not a JOKE.
I think my ex misinterpreted the vow"I take this man to love" as "I take (these men) to love"! Ah well Ive learned not to be bitter(even if I wish she got hit by a run away bus);)
Thankfully not all women are like her. And wow what was I :thinking::doh:

Oh I remember what I was :thinking:she's hawt! And let's me play with her fun parts. Sign me up(btw I was 19) and really really lame.

Sorry Hoopty for the derail! It was very therapeutic for me