Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

My layover was a little more than an hour, but the place was run down and dirty. I've been in nicer airports in Mexico. Again, this was ten plus years ago..

image.jpeg

Came home to a package waiting on me. It's a little more beat up than described, but will do just fine.

Reactions: 6 users
I layed over at that airport in 2005. It was yucky.

You Must've been on one of the commuter plane concourses....ATL has always been one of the nicer airports I've traveled through. I do dislike the sheer size of the place, but I have always been able to move through it fairly quickly (I like to walk really fast on the flat "people mover" conveyer belts,......it's like running at full speed when you get to the end)
But you'll never be fast enough to beat the "Plane train".

As far as a bad airport,....Chicago Midway is tied w/ Dallas Love field for me......both places are right out of the 70's. At least they were the last time i went through those places. The only thing missing is having to walk across the tarmac,....and I believe that in one of those places,..I had to do that. Just long enough to reboard a shuttle bus that was standing by to move us to the terminal.

Reactions: 1 user
You Must've been on one of the commuter plane concourses....ATL has always been one of the nicer airports I've traveled through. I do dislike the sheer size of the place, but I have always been able to move through it fairly quickly (I like to walk really fast on the flat "people mover" conveyer belts,......it's like running at full speed when you get to the end)
But you'll never be fast enough to beat the "Plane train".

As far as a bad airport,....Chicago Midway is tied w/ Dallas Love field for me......both places are right out of the 70's. At least they were the last time i went through those places. The only thing missing is having to walk across the tarmac,....and I believe that in one of those places,..I had to do that. Just long enough to reboard a shuttle bus that was standing by to move us to the terminal.

It wasn't a commuter concourse. I don't remember the airline, but it was a layover from Houston to Newark. It was filthy. Newark was nice. Everthing new and shiny, floors polished. Very nice. ATL was gross. Dirty stained carpeting. Soiled paint on the walls. It looked like cattle had been herded through there. There was a smoking lounge with brown stains on the walls from smoke rolling out of the top of the door.. I'm telling you, it was gross. I've been all over the country, and to several South of the border, and this one was the worst.

It wasn't a commuter concourse. I don't remember the airline, but it was a layover from Houston to Newark. It was filthy. Newark was nice. Everthing new and shiny, floors polished. Very nice. ATL was gross. Dirty stained carpeting. Soiled paint on the walls. It looked like cattle had been herded through there. There was a smoking lounge with brown stains on the walls from smoke rolling out of the top of the door.. I'm telling you, it was gross. I've been all over the country, and to several South of the border, and this one was the worst.
I transited through ATL about ten years ago, but had a quick connection and spent most of my time on the tram going from the first concourse to the last. I think I made it with about ten minutes to spare.

The nicest, cleanest airport I've ever been to would have to Frankfurt. Got to know that place really well. One of the most run down/dirtiest was Naples. The Italians don't clean anything. No coincidence that it's also one of the dirtiest cities I've ever visited. I was at Manas International Airport in Kyrgyzstan for a few months several years back when the USAF was still operating cargo and tanker aircraft out of there into Afghanistan. Didn't get to see the interior of the airport proper, but I'm sure it would have taken the cake if I had. Soviet-era construction all over the place and one of the roughest runways I've ever landed on.

Will Rogers World Airport in OKC is actually a really nice, if small, facility.

I transited through ATL about ten years ago, but had a quick connection and spent most of my time on the tram going from the first concourse to the last. I think I made it with about ten minutes to spare.

The nicest, cleanest airport I've ever been to would have to Frankfurt. Got to know that place really well. One of the most run down/dirtiest was Naples. The Italians don't clean anything. No coincidence that it's also one of the dirtiest cities I've ever visited. I was at Manas International Airport in Kyrgyzstan for a few months several years back when the USAF was still operating cargo and tanker aircraft out of there into Afghanistan. Didn't get to see the interior of the airport proper, but I'm sure it would have taken the cake if I had. Soviet-era construction all over the place and one of the roughest runways I've ever landed on.

Will Rogers World Airport in OKC is actually a really nice, if small, facility.
Frankfurt is nice, but Schipol is niiiiiiiiiiiice. I used to fly through both (and DeGaulle) when I was going overseas. The airport in Angola was terrifying.

Denver is spiffy. Houston intercontinental is pretty nice. Haven't been to Houston Hobby in a while, but it wasn't bad. Las Vegas has slot machines!