Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Hey!.........Collin! @hoopty5.0 .

Just makin sure you see that I'm standing in the "congrats" line on your recent success at hurling aluminum tubing.

So,...how exactly did you manage that w/o collateral damage? I'm guessing the fact that the hood was off was probably the reason for that?

I gotta start paying more attention to all of this tuning stuff myself now...........the Monster is only a few weeks away from his inaugural first drive too. Wishin' that there was a BT carb sitting on that engine now.

( Or that Steve @a91what lived next door)

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike I'm not totally sure what caused it. It coughed through the intake and boom.

IMG_6992.JPG

All seems to be well so far - as in no damage

Reactions: 2 users
@a91what MUUUUUUUUUUUCH better, although I realized after these I had a significant vacuum leak and then I ran out of gas. Argh.

Attachments

• 2016-10-23_15.56.06.msl
    115.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 2016-10-23_15.56.43.msl
    83.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 2016-10-23_15.51.08.msl
    122.8 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 5 users
Still pretty lean when in boost. are you using the auto tune??

IMO I would datalog a pull then use the ve analyzer in megalog viewer to make the fuel adjustments, set the lambada signal delay to 5 and hit go. save the tune upload it onto the car and try again....

Or you can spend a few minutes thumbing thru the log and do it manually, but it takes longer.

Still pretty lean when in boost. are you using the auto tune??

IMO I would datalog a pull then use the ve analyzer in megalog viewer to make the fuel adjustments, set the lambada signal delay to 5 and hit go. save the tune upload it onto the car and try again....

Or you can spend a few minutes thumbing thru the log and do it manually, but it takes longer.
Yes on the autotune

I'd also like to point out I did these pulls before I figured out I had an open port on my vacuum tree. Let me go out again tomorrow with everything the way it should be and see what we come back with. Notice max boost was only 3.5 psi on the 3 logs, where as before I was averaging 8.

I'll post a better update in the morning. Im beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes auto tune does not adjust fast enough, it would be wise to go thru the log and add fuel where it's lean.

Ratios. Use the AFR and AFR target lines on the graph to see how far out your ve table is. Then divide the afr by the target, multiply the very table area by that amount.

So it's
Have÷want= xxx
Xxx*ve table area= correct afr

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes auto tune does not adjust fast enough, it would be wise to go thru the log and add fuel where it's lean.

Ratios. Use the AFR and AFR target lines on the graph to see how far out your ve table is. Then divide the afr by the target, multiply the very table area by that amount.

So it's
Have÷want= xxx
Xxx*ve table area= correct afr
Good deal, will do. Thanks again for your help!!!

So this weekend was eventful. I took Friday off, ran some errands in the morning, then @Boosted92LX came over and we drove the car around for a few hours and didn't really get anywhere with the tune. Later that evening, I tried again and pushed it a little too hard when the Big Bang happened and I launched the intake tube into the next county.

Saturday, the wife and I went to Oktoberfest, so not much happened then, but yall saw what Steve send me. Saturday night, the waste gate fell off the car in the garage. Yes, you just read that. The sh*tty pot metal clamp (the same one I've already had to cobble back together) broke again and it just fell off. Also, the shtty vacuum hose barb fitting on the BOV broke off as well.

Sunday morning, I scrambled around trying to find a metric 10mm x 1.0 barb fitting (LOL, good luck if you ever need one) so I improvised. An 1/8" fitting worked well enough that I can't even call it cross threaded. It just went in. I also fixed the clamp with some real metal because you can't just go to Ace hardware and buy a 50mm V band clamp. Not to mention that while my WG is out of the way and not an eyesore, it is an absolute pain in the d*ck to reach. Lord help me if it ever needs to come off again.

Anywho, after all that, I loaded Steve's new tune in and cruised over to a parking lot where the marching band practices and did some logging. It ran much better, although I have an exhaust leak I can't find and I noticed one of the hoses on my vacuum tree vanished, leaving a completely unplugged port. F*n great.

I went home and plugged the port, backed back out of the driveway and promptly ran out of gas. It was time for us to go to dinner anyway, so I decided it was time to stop fighting it for the day. It runs much better, boost comes in about 4k rpm, and violently.

Not sure when Ill have time this week to mess with it, and next weekend is a loss too, so. . . At least it looks pretty?

Reactions: 5 users
I know we talked about this a bit earlier today I just wanted to expand on the two options that you have for increasing spool speed on the turbo...

Option 1. Rich/low timing
This causes unburned fuel to be pushed out into the exhaust where it ignites before the turbo increasing spool speed. Afr of 10.5-11.3 and timing of 15..... then increase timing after spool event.
Downside is poor drivability and sluggishness before the spool event.

Option 2. Lean/high timing
This causes extra heat in the combustion event, spooling the turbo faster. Afr of 12.8-13.5 (leaner is faster) timing 26-36*
Issue here is the possibility of engine damage as long as you are somewhat conservative with the timing should work out well.

Try what I sent you earlier if that helps we will make some afr adjustments to your table, the goal will be a spool target of 2500rpm

Well, the car is going back on jackstands (unrelated to the turbo).

I knew that I was driving it around with too many loose ends undone - not a good idea. For instance, I've known for 2 years now that the starter was bad. It gets hot and then it has to sit for a couple of hours to cool before it'll restart. That is completely obnoxious.

There's a few other things I've done "just for a test drive or two" that I've been nervously keeping an eye on.

The final straw was my wideband gauge burning up last night. The car has been doing this thing the past couple of days where it pegs lean and the car dies for a split second. I was thinking it was the fuel pump, but pulling it into the garage last night and my dash almost catching fire made me think it was the wide band doing it.

At any rate, the car is going to be torn down again, everything is going to be sent out for coating, and then I'm going to finish assembling everything the right way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, the car is going back on jackstands (unrelated to the turbo).

I knew that I was driving it around with too many loose ends undone - not a good idea. For instance, I've known for 2 years now that the starter was bad. It gets hot and then it has to sit for a couple of hours to cool before it'll restart. That is completely obnoxious.

There's a few other things I've done "just for a test drive or two" that I've been nervously keeping an eye on.

The final straw was my wideband gauge burning up last night. The car has been doing this thing the past couple of days where it pegs lean and the car dies for a split second. I was thinking it was the fuel pump, but pulling it into the garage last night and my dash almost catching fire made me think it was the wide band doing it.

At any rate, the car is going to be torn down again, everything is going to be sent out for coating, and then I'm going to finish assembling everything the right way.
That sounds like a novel idea......

I know we talked about this a bit earlier today I just wanted to expand on the two options that you have for increasing spool speed on the turbo...

Option 1. Rich/low timing
This causes unburned fuel to be pushed out into the exhaust where it ignites before the turbo increasing spool speed. Afr of 10.5-11.3 and timing of 15..... then increase timing after spool event.
Downside is poor drivability and sluggishness before the spool event.

Option 2. Lean/high timing
This causes extra heat in the combustion event, spooling the turbo faster. Afr of 12.8-13.5 (leaner is faster) timing 26-36*
Issue here is the possibility of engine damage as long as you are somewhat conservative with the timing should work out well.

Try what I sent you earlier if that helps we will make some afr adjustments to your table, the goal will be a spool target of 2500rpm

How to make the turbo spool up faster
Novel idea - use the smog pump to push extra air into the exhaust and find an injector that can survive the heat generated by combustion. Or use a solenoid valve in the fuel line to control the fuel to a home brew injector. Use the two together to make an afterburner.

Have the smog pump diverter valve wired so that it bypasses air except on acceleration and wire the fuel injector or a fuel solenoid valve so that it opens only on acceleration. Bingo, you have a afterburner that instantly provides extra hot gas to turn the turbocharger. Beware of the extra heat generated by this process!

Plan B is a little simpler and safer: use a solenoid valve and a pump to supply water or water/alcohol mix that gets sprayed into the exhaust stream before the turbo only when the engine accelerates. The water flashes to steam, the alcohol burns and the mass airflow through the turbo increases dramatically. This water injection has been used on jet aircraft for years for extra power on takeoff. The original B-52 and KC-135 had J57 engines that used water injection for extra power on takeoff. The black smoke on takeoff was the clue that the water injection was turned on and working.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hilarious, but no. If I were to do anything like that, I'd have it pump air/fuel into the downpipe to be ignited near the tailpipes and have flames shoot out as I accelerate like the batmobile. Now that would be cool.