Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Made a trip to best buy for 4 of the 6 speakers in the car. They don't stock 3 1/2" speakers anymore, but I'd imagine it's going to be light years better with the new big speakers anyway.

Also forgot to put the timing light on this thing since I've owned it. Finally got around to it today, total timing was at 8°. Bumped it to 12 and it feels like an animal now. Well, a stock animal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are thinking about different rear end gears for a near stock car, 3.55 get my vote. My old Mustang had a 3.55/Turbo Coupe axle in it and I drove 50+ mile to work every day. Gas mileage didn't change much, but it added a lot of zip to the performance.

I pulled 3.55/Turbo Coupe axle out of the old 89 Mustang when it got totaled in 2008. It is still sitting under the workbench in my shop. Some day, I'll get ambitious and rebuild the Trac-Loc , outer bearings and seals and put it under my current 89 Mustang ...

I have a CEL that comes on once the car gets to operating temp. If you shut the car off and restart it, it goes away for a while, but eventually comes back on.

The question is, can I put the jumper in to dump KOER codes while the engine is still running? Would it hurt anything?

Successfully installed 3.55s this weekend. No more gear whine, 70mph is 2k rpm and I'm in it for $180. I learned to use FRPP gears and listen to people who have done it before. Either way, it was marginally difficult and I don't wish to do it again soon.

Edit* I don't wish to do it again soon without a lift, hydraulic press, and a tool that removes the inner pinion bearing easily. Then it'd be a quick and relatively painless job.

Last edited:
It needs to do the Key On Engine Off codes first. If it doesn't do them first, you may get a code 98.

To get the Key On Engine Running codes, put the test jumper in place, turn the key to Run and let the codes dump. Then start the engine and it will dump the engine running codes.

It needs to do the Key On Engine Off codes first. If it doesn't do them first, you may get a code 98.

To get the Key On Engine Running codes, put the test jumper in place, turn the key to Run and let the codes dump. Then start the engine and it will dump the engine running codes.
Hmmm.... That would make it difficult to see what the CEL is if I can't keep it from resetting. I'll see what I can do to check it.
The airbag light also flashes. Is there a way to diagnose that?

Another buddy was asking about my vibrations I am getting. He asked if it was doing certain things, which it is, and so he thinks it might be a bad bearing at the back of the input shaft of the transmission. How wonderful.