Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't wait to finish building my car only to have these problems.....
:bang:
Don't get me wrong, the car runs and drives well, but I just want it as close to perfection as I can attain. What is really perplexing is the transmission is like showroom clean on the outside which makes me think its rebuilt. But the PO was a bit of a dead end as far as information goes, so it's just seek and destroy as far as issues go.

I always install the jumper and then start the engine. My CEL works OK, so I just sit in the driver's seat and watch it flash. That way I get both the KOEO and KOER codes without any extra effort.

I believe the airbag code dump works similar to the engine code dump. You find the test connector, jumper the pins, turn the key on and count the flashes.

Dropping the car off for tint this morning and I'm going to repaint all of the window trim and stuff. Took some before pics, will post everything when done. Should make a huge difference in appearance.

It was an eventful weekend, here's the recap -

Friday I sold the turbo system I made for the LS build for $400. With that, I took the car in Saturday morning at 10 a.m. to what I thought was a decent tint shop. I anticipated it to take a couple hours and then I'd have it back to redo all of the exterior trim. Here are the before pics:

t6Itzi.jpg

FHTSAz.jpg

vl2FyS.jpg

kjVta7.jpg

nk9oU1.jpg

XB8lDP.jpg

Well, at 3 p.m. I got a little concerned. Went back to find the back window still unfinished..... okaaaayyy... What the deal guys? Well end up getting it back at 4;30 with the rear window partially falling down in the top corners, dirt under the tint in the pass lower, wrinkles, bubbles, and scratches everywhere. looks like utter sh1t. I plan on getting my money back, especially after I found the back window scratched on the outside.

I swung through O'reilly on the the way back and got some primer, trim paint, and a new steering rack. Mine's been locking up and almost caused a wreck this week, so it was past due for a swap. Started on the rack and finished it this morning. WOW is it night and day difference.

amz2Sv.jpg

Lately, the smell inside the car has been getting worse. Like dirty socks, or something dead... I dont know. But it is really off putting. So again, instead of doing the trim, I pulled all the seats out and took the upholstery cleaner to the seats and carpet. I emptied the half gallon catch bin on the cleaner 3 times - each time full of chocolate milk looking doo-doo butter. What a filthy automobile. Anyway, here's some before and after as well.

CQL9S1.jpg

aNKmzg.jpg

0vMhYY.jpg

TjwMTu.jpg

Smells SO much better in there. Maybe this week I'll get to the trim. Shouldn't be a huge deal. Soon, I'll start collecting parts for a mild 351 build. got some money left over this week and I get a bonus soon. Shooting for 400ish fwhp - just a mild build with great manners.

***Edit - Here's what the tint looks like -

7RO470.jpg

Last edited:
Just committed to buy a complete 3550 swap. My dreams of W power are now dead, at least for 2014.
You will love the 3550 if it hasn't been trashed or run with the wrong lubricant.

The proper lubricant is GM SyncroMesh Black (now labeled A/C Delco SyncroMesh? ) and it is expensive - $20-$30 per quart and it takes 2 3/4 quarts to fill it . Just don't cheap out and you'll be happy with it.

Mine shifts smoothly, never complains and I never lift the throttle to shift. It has over 150K miles and still going strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You will love the 3550 if it hasn't been trashed or run with the wrong lubricant.

The proper lubricant is GM SyncroMesh Black (now labeled A/C Delco SyncroMesh? ) and it is expensive - $20-$30 per quart and it takes 2 3/4 quarts to fill it . Just don't cheap out and you'll be happy with it.

Mine shifts smoothly, never complains and I never lift the throttle to shift. It has over 150K miles and still going strong.
This will be my 2nd that I've owned. I snatched it up within 30 minutes of it going up for sale! looking forward to getting it back in as I definitely enjoyed the other one. No lift shift, huh?

Reactions: 1 user
Well.......

The guy Im buying the transmission from had some TFS 170s.

:shrug:

Ya know. sh1t happens. Spent my bonus before I saw a red cent. The other half went to buying a wedding band, so the misses is happy all the same. For those keeping tabs, the deal is:

Tremec 3550
Bell housing
Steeda shifter
adjustable quadrant
cable
Clutch (new)
flywheel
TFS 170 fresh from the shop
Springs
pushrods
And an explorer intake for good measure.

$1700.

Last edited:
Well.......

Ya know. sh1t happens. Spent my bonus before I saw a red cent. The other half went to buying a wedding band, so the misses is happy all the same. For those keeping tabs, the deal is:

Tremec 3550
Bell housing
Steeda shifter
adjustable quadrant
cable
Clutch (new)
flywheel
Springs
pushrods

$1700.
Looks like Christmas gifts came early for you... Nice deal, well worth it.

Well.......

Tremec 3550
Bell housing
Steeda shifter
adjustable quadrant
cable
Clutch (new)
flywheel
Springs
pushrods

$1700.

I'll take 3.... nice score

Yeah, that's a hell of a deal! I loved my 3550 when I had it. I never had a problem with it. I use to beat on it daily(no-lift shifts) and it never skipped a beat...no pun initended. The only reason I sold it was because my current build will put out more than it can handle so I upgraded to a TKO600.

@hoopty5.0 I've been meaning to ask you how do the rims and tires fit on your car? Any rubbing in the front or back? I'm seriously considering getting those same rims once my car is running and tuned. My buddy is concerned about rubbing with a 9" rim on his 93 so I kinda started wondering the same being as tho those rims are not offered in 8" for the 5-lug version. What size tires are you using?

The rears rub, had to roll the lips. The tires are 275s on the rear and forgot whats on the front. The main issue I am having is the front end geometry is off giving me 1-2° of positive camber. I keep meaning to email UPR and see what they suggest but forget. The front track width is definitely too narrow so I don't have any fender rubbing issues there at the moment.

Not that I'm trying to outdo Jeff @TOOLOW91, but I also got some parts stacked in the garage today. And then to celebrate, I washed the nasty thing so it resembles a respectable automobile again.

Q5D4eq.jpg

PhbEF2.jpg

@stangboy I found out today my front end ailments can be fixed with SN-95 length A - arms, so I'd imagine the fronts will be rubbing soon too :)