Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, if you've been waiting anxiously on the edge of your seats as I have on the machine shop to flow my heads, I hope you're comfortable. I was told Friday or Saturday, so I went by on Saturday and they still weren't ready. Ohhhhhh wellllll.

The next chapter in this saga is gonna be slow, dark, and quiet. I've sold the 302 in the car and will pull it out next weekend. Then the plan is to rat hole money until May. What's so magical about May you ask and why would I sell the engine and let the car sit?

Im riding in the MS150 April 15-16. It's a 150+ mile bike ride from Houston to Austin and is pretty brutal. You can read about it in the link (and donate to my account if you're feeling generous :D proceeds go to the MS foundation - not to me)

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/TXHBikeEvents?px=14810171&pg=personal&fr_id=27003

So anyway, I've been spending my weekends lately on a bicycle and will continue to do so until the ride. Basically 80 miles of hills each day, so training is essential. In the mean time, I scrapped the 302 idea at the poking and prodding of several buddies - one of which is trading me a Lighting short block with new .030 pistons for my welding rig. Based on the numbers I have run, assuming I sell all of the non-needed parts in the car now, I will have enough to machine the 351 block, assemble a 357, buy a flywheel, balancer, headers, intake, and some form of OTS cam to make a 400 hp sbf with my heads I ported. Probably wont rev past 5k, but it's all I can do at the moment.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 4 users
Well, if you've been waiting anxiously on the edge of your seats as I have on the machine shop to flow my heads, I hope you're comfortable. I was told Friday or Saturday, so I went by on Saturday and they still weren't ready. Ohhhhhh wellllll.

The next chapter in this saga is gonna be slow, dark, and quiet. I've sold the 302 in the car and will pull it out next weekend. Then the plan is to rat hole money until May. What's so magical about May you ask and why would I sell the engine and let the car sit?

Im riding in the MS150 April 15-16. It's a 150+ mile bike ride from Houston to Austin and is pretty brutal. You can read about it in the link (and donate to my account if you're feeling generous :D proceeds go to the MS foundation - not to me)

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/TXHBikeEvents?px=14810171&pg=personal&fr_id=27003

So anyway, I've been spending my weekends lately on a bicycle and will continue to do so until the ride. Basically 80 miles of hills each day, so training is essential. In the mean time, I scrapped the 302 idea at the poking and prodding of several buddies - one of which is trading me a Lighting short block with new .030 pistons for my welding rig. Based on the numbers I have run, assuming I sell all of the non-needed parts in the car now, I will have enough to machine the 351 block, assemble a 357, buy a flywheel, balancer, headers, intake, and some form of OTS cam to make a 400 hp sbf with my heads I ported. Probably wont rev past 5k, but it's all I can do at the moment.

Thoughts?
Thoughts?!!

What's the point of that? You already sold your engine, you have no choice but to go forward with the bigger engine. It would be stupid to advise you to search for another platform when you have the replacement all lined up.

Here's what I think you should do:

Start on the 357.
Commence with your plan to have it machined, and buy the stuff you need to make it work.

While the car sits.

Get to the point of almost getting that done, and cough up the additional monies for a recip assy that'll get the engine up to 408. This will of course require additional time and monies because there will need to be additional machine work to accommodate the new bigger engine.

( because it was just too good a deal to pass up)

While the car sits.

Get the 408 to the point of start of assy, and start a new thread here, posting your concern that your heads are woefully inadequate to feed the larger displacement.

Sell the iron heads, go on mad Internet treasure hunt to try and find a decent aftermarket solution. This may take a minute.

While the car sits.

While considering the available options, Wrestle with the notion that smaller heads may not hobble you so bad when air is being forced into them.

Decide to build another turbo car. ( after all,.....you do have that new, working DIYPNP fueling, and timing the engine now, don't you?)

While the car sits.

Start your training regimen for the 2017 MS150. ( it's only a few months away)

Come across a smokin deal on a dart based 427. Sell off all the turbo stuff to fund the smokin deal. All it needs is some small parts, and some machine work.

Sell off the entire non- running project, including the car, in exchange for a supercharged SN95 bodied car.

Realize at some point in the future, that SN 95 Mustangs are sole less, uninspiring, and even more of commodity, despite the Cobra badging, and 400+ hp.

Sell that car, and buy a fox body that only needs a few things to be a perfect daily driver.

Reactions: 3 users
Well....I wouldn't say no to a 351. It sounds like you won't have time to really work on the car for a few months so you might as well use the time to plan out the next steps and accumulate all the parts you need. Just my opinion...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thoughts?

I like it! And i think it ought to rev past 5..at least 5 1/2. But the torque!:drool:

Thoughts?!!

What's the point of that? You already sold your engine, you have no choice but to go forward with the bigger engine. It would be stupid to advise you to search for another platform when you have the replacement all lined up.

Here's what I think you should do:

Start on the 357.
Commence with your plan to have it machined, and buy the stuff you need to make it work.

While the car sits.

Get to the point of almost getting that done, and cough up the additional monies for a recip assy that'll get the engine up to 408. This will of course require additional time and monies because there will need to be additional machine work to accommodate the new bigger engine.

( because it was just too good a deal to pass up)

While the car sits.

Get the 408 to the point of start of assy, and start a new thread here, posting your concern that your heads are woefully inadequate to feed the larger displacement.

Sell the iron heads, go on mad Internet treasure hunt to try and find a decent aftermarket solution. This may take a minute.

While the car sits.

While considering the available options, Wrestle with the notion that smaller heads may not hobble you so bad when air is being forced into them.

Decide to build another turbo car. ( after all,.....you do have that new, working DIYPNP fueling, and timing the engine now, don't you?)

While the car sits.

Start your training regimen for the 2017 MS150. ( it's only a few months away)

Come across a smokin deal on a dart based 427. Sell off all the turbo stuff to fund the smokin deal. All it needs is some small parts, and some machine work.

Sell off the entire non- running project, including the car, in exchange for a supercharged SN95 bodied car.

Realize at some point in the future, that SN 95 Mustangs are sole less, uninspiring, and even more of commodity, despite the Cobra badging, and 400+ hp.

Sell that car, and buy a fox body that only needs a few things to be a perfect daily driver.

LOL.. That's just wrong man. Funny, but wrong.

I'm pretty sure he'll see this one through. He has a pretty good attachment to this car.

Mike, my only rebuttal is I refuse to repeat 4th grade more than 3 times. I'm still on the baby steps path that has, to this point, treated me very well with this project. I'm gonna stay on with the P headed 357 for the time being so that I can have a running, DD capable car within 4 months (machine shop allowing). A running car makes for a happy Collin.

Then, while it's running and driving and I'm happy, keep rat-holing monies so that when X-mas bonus rolls out, it will ice the 11r-headed-custom-cam-having-4xx-inch-stroker cake and I'll only be down for a short period of time again.

minimizing down time maximizes project longevity :jester:

Reactions: 1 users
Mike, my only rebuttal is I refuse to repeat 4th grade more than 3 times. I'm still on the baby steps path that has, to this point, treated me very well with this project. I'm gonna stay on with the P headed 357 for the time being so that I can have a running, DD capable car within 4 months (machine shop allowing). A running car makes for a happy Collin.

Then, while it's running and driving and I'm happy, keep rat-holing monies so that when X-mas bonus rolls out, it will ice the 11r-headed-custom-cam-having-4xx-inch-stroker cake and I'll only be down for a short period of time again.

minimizing down time maximizes project longevity :jester:

If that was the case,..I'dve sold mine as a pile of parts years ago.

I like it! And i think it ought to rev past 5..at least 5 1/2. But the torque!:drool:

LOL.. That's just wrong man. Funny, but wrong.

I'm pretty sure he'll see this one through. He has a pretty good attachment to this car.

It's up to you and me to maintain the focus. If we lose Collin exclusively to the Hoard that is S197/S550, ( not that he's not already one foot in the door) it'll be one more slot open for the next thread full of babble, missing punctuation and loaded with misspelled words from some kid still living w/ his parents.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't have the timing in the software synced to the actual timing.
You have to set the base timing at 10° with the A9L, then install the MS and see where the timing is with the timing light. In my case, it was advanced like 40° - no joke. So I had to adjust the trigger angle offset in the software until I measured 10° with the timing light.

What is the procedure for syncing the timing when there's no other computer to set base with?

What is the procedure for syncing the timing when there's no other computer to set base with?
That's a good question.

:shrug:

Now that I think about it, there is a mark at the base of the housing of the distributor that could get you close enough to 10° and then get use the software offset from there

Last edited:
Grab a timing light, start the car with the spout still in so the MS can adjust timing. Then with the trigger wizard force timing too say 20*. That will lock the ecu timing, then you can either mechanically match the number OR do it right. Doing it right evolves changing the timing angle in trigger wizard until the forced timing matches the balancer.... it's pretty easy to do takes 5 mins. You just have to KNOW to do it. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Grab a timing light, start the car with the spout still in so the MS can adjust timing. Then with the trigger wizard force timing too say 20*. That will lock the ecu timing, then you can either mechanically match the number OR do it right. Doing it right evolves changing the timing angle in trigger wizard until the forced timing matches the balancer.... it's pretty easy to do takes 5 mins. You just have to KNOW to do it. Lol
Oh yeah, that too. How soon I forget, hahaha

It's up to you and me to maintain the focus. If we lose Collin exclusively to the Hoard that is S197/S550, ( not that he's not already one foot in the door) it'll be one more slot open for the next thread full of babble, missing punctuation and loaded with misspelled words from some kid still living w/ his parents.
How did I miss this gem of a post?

You only use me for my punctuation, grammar, and ease of comic relief? I see how it is. HAH! And for whatever it's worth, my wife has strictly forbidden me from doing anything other than routine maintenance to the other car, so your safe from losing me to the S197 front.

Lately, I've been kicking around how to pitch the idea of letting me finish the 351 build in one fell swoop to the wife. It would more or less allow me to finish the 'serious' projects on the board for this car. I have 1000 other little tinker-type projects I want to do, but the engine is the last major hurdle. There's a 4150 style Vic jr with carb-style TB, rails, and injectors on Corral right now for $800. With some 11r heads and a custom cam, I'd be a happy camper for a long time. (read: +/- 6 months). We will see what shakes on in the next few weeks as I sell off all the 302 items.

Reactions: 2 users