The Lets Find The Vibration Thread !

I haven't seen it posted yet. If your only getting it at the certain rpm, have you balanced the tires? If so how long ago? They can come out of balance by hitting a curb, rock, or a big pot hole. Unbalanced tires can give you a vibration at a certain rpm, then go away.
Brand new wheels and tires road force balanced when the build was done

• Sponsors (?)

The pilot bearing is blown out so bad in the thing I can move it from end to end in the crank I think we found the problem z

Reactions: 1 user
HOORAY!!!!

Not that you are having so much fun that you can't contain yourself pulling the trans twice, but so glad to hear that you found a relatively easy problem to remedy!

@84Ttop i am sure you could understand the pleasure of knowing it was a 20 dollar part!

This is all my own ignorance and i know better, I used the bearing i had in there being an skf i didnt want to stick a chinese bearing in it so when i put the car together i let it roll knowing like an ******* that the crank was out of the motor cleaned etc i shouldve changed it but you live and you learn. I am going to use the new flywheel and dowel kit and call it a day and hopefully this is it for vibrations !

Alright so its all together , No more vibration until 4k. 4k up into 5k and it kind of smooths out again. It drives like it did before we had the issue when i woulnt put it in boost before it was tuned no vibrations on the low end car drives smooth. At about 1050-1100 if you are stopped right before the idle settles you get a small shake in the wheel like we had but goes away as soon as the idle settles.

Ill put it this way its much better that i am not scared to drive it any more. My next move is to swap the motor mounts out . It has 50 resto cheapy poly mounts in it and maybe try a rubber mount and see how it is .

I just want to say I am disappointed at the ungratefulness I am seeing trying to get rid of something I worked so hard at tuning into your car! But seriously every suggestion being offered is all looking to help so I would always recommend someone throwing their ideas into the mix. I am far from an expert I just enjoy playing with cars and have been lucky to be around allot of them over the years to share what I have learned through many good friends, mentors, and time experimenting on different combos... I am glad you are making progress Jeff !

So in a leap of faith i changed the motor mounts to a stock convertible mount. Same :poo: its actually worse. Pulled the blower belt. Wacked the motor up to 4k and same vibration so once again that rules it out.
So hears what i am left with -
Clutch - ( was never an issue before but it hasn't been changed)
Balancer - ( Has great reviews but who knows at this point)
Internal balance issue- Leaning toward it.

So i ordered the poly trans mount and am gonna reinstall the motor mounts with it and see if it does better then before.

After checking the clutch I'd pull the balancer. If they checked out ok I guess I'd either pull the moter or just romp it until it came apart(stock block right). Is it possible mains are wondering on you? Read that somewhere. He never had an oil issue or any other problems. He developed a "vibration". Eventually pulled it out and found the cracked block!:( I sure hope it's a defective balancer or some other "small" $$ part. Good luck

And if it is a case of the motor is hurt I may look to just put an exp motor or something in it just to let it ride but who knows

Do you really think you have a bent rod? do you have good oil pressure? and is your engine knocking or smoking ?if not ...like i said before change the trans mount so it will match the engine mounts.

Do you really think you have a bent rod? do you have good oil pressure? and is your engine knocking or smoking ?if not ...like i said before change the trans mount so it will match the engine mounts.
There is no knocking or smoking oil pressure is fine . I have first hand seen a motor with rods slightly bent enough to still run fine but have issues . I have the TRANS mount coming but that is just. a band aid in my
opinion it doesn't explain why there is a shake that it shouldn't have . I'm all over the place my budget is not fitting in another bottom end right now so I may just run it for now and well see

I have too seen engines run fine too but had other problems. But you said you changed the engine mounts to stock convertible mounts and it had more vibration than the poly mounts. Okay so you when install the poly mounts motor/trans that vibration should stop.

I have too seen engines run fine too but had other problems. But you said you changed the engine mounts to stock convertible mounts and it had more vibration than the poly mounts. Okay so you when install the poly mounts motor/trans that vibration should stop.
I'm sure as hell hope so lol