The Ls Vs. Coyote Swap Thread

Boosted92LX

It's only an inch or two. What's the big deal?
15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Just like the title says, let's hash it out. Anything goes. Pros, cons, opinions, references, experiences, observations.

I have a family member, a cousin's husband to be exact, who owns a Camaro. I believe it's a 2011, not sure... but that thing is a lifter tappin, rattly garbage truck sounding turd. It does have over 150k miles, so there's that.. but I can't count the number of LS powered vehicles I've heard with this problem. Now, before anyone gets their feelings hurt, I am fully aware (as is everyone else on the planet) the power and hot rodding potential of these engines. Just merely pointing out one obvious flaw inherent to the mighty LS. As stated in another thread, an F150 5.0 could cost 15k said and done with?? Anyone seen it done cheaper?? Is it doable??

Go.

• Sponsors (?)

I think one key to the LS's success in hot rodding is that Chevy puts them in (almost) everything. Add to that the ease with which they make power, and you have a cheap, plentiful engine that's capable of making a lot of power just begging to be swapped into anything with (and some things without) wheels.

To date, Ford puts the Coyote in only two vehicles, Mustang and F-150; not to mention that most people who buy new F-150s seem to go for the ecoboost over the Coyote. The price would drop somewhat if Ford would just make them more prolific.

I'm sure a lot more people with more experience will chime in, but that's my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users
I think one key to the LS's success in hot rodding is that Chevy puts them in (almost) everything. Add to that the ease with which they make power, and you have a cheap, plentiful engine that's capable of making a lot of power just begging to be swapped into anything with (and some things without) wheels.

To date, Ford puts the Coyote in only two vehicles, Mustang and F-150; not to mention that most people who buy new F-150s seem to go for the ecoboost over the Coyote. The price would drop somewhat if Ford would just make them more prolific.

I'm sure a lot more people with more experience will chime in, but that's my $0.02.

True about the only two vehicles.. unless the expedition gets it now, does it??? I'll have to look. But, consider this.. For the last few decades, F150 has literally outsold ever other vehicle in North America. So, sometime soon, these engines will be showing up everywhere as well.

Reactions: 1 user
What (other than cubic inches, and engine management) is the difference between this 4v engine, and it's cheaper, more commonly available 4.6 version?
Well, for starters, 100-150 hp out of the box, depending on what you pick.

Edit: ... or where you referring to architecture?

True about the only two vehicles.. unless the expedition gets it now, does it??? I'll have to look. But, consider this.. For the last few decades, F150 has literally outsold ever other vehicle in North America. So, sometime soon, these engines will be showing up everywhere as well.
I forgot about the Expedition. I looked it up, and the Expedition only received the 5.4 until they started offering the ecoboost in 2014. The F-150 started the same year as the Mustang: 2011.

You're right, though. Hopefully prices will come down as the market becomes more saturated with them. The LS has a huge head start.

I think brand loyalty gets in my way when it comes to Ls swaps. I like seeing them, I follow threads about doing them- I comment and interact. Learn everything I can from said build, and then go drag a pushrod motor outta the junk yard lol

I am looking forward to a detailed coyote swap, hopefully @84Ttop will start a thread when he does his

Reactions: 1 users
What (other than cubic inches, and engine management) is the difference between this 4v engine, and it's cheaper, more commonly available 4.6 version?
the heads on the 5.0 have VASTLY more potential than any other prior mod motor, 1-2 more points of compression, plus the variable cam timing tech is a few steps ahead. other than that, its just an updated version of the 4.6, same basic footprint, bell pattern, etc. was made to drop in anywhere a 4.6 or 5.4 was sitting with few changes to the line.

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the only difference is a few points of compression and cam profiles.
the intake has a different part number too, but it really seems as though the only difference is the truck intake doesn't have the studs for the cover. truck motor also has cast exhaust manifolds (irrelevant for a swap since 99% chance you'll have to change the stang headers out too).

Myself, I don't really see a need to swap to either of them, and I already have two coyotes. The little 302 I blew up in the fox felt like it had a much broader power band than the coyote (the coyote loves revs, its like it has turbo lag or something whereas the fox would just go at about 1000-1500 rpm less), and the 5.4 in my old truck, despite being slower, had much better low end trailer-pulling power (as did the 300 in my '90, god I miss that truck). then again my 07 had shorter gears (3.73's vs 3.55's) and shorter lighter tires (stock 31's vs the 33.5"s on the new one)

I've got the coyote in my DD (2014 GT) and the pushrod in my 92... When budget allows, it's certainly gonna get a coyote, no question about it. It'll cost roughly the same as a built 408 would with all the swap stuff and have more potential with less headaches. 600+ RWHP is fairly easy with these motors and just about any blower while having perfect manors on the street.

What's the major difference between f150 5.0 and mustang 5.0?

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

truck coyote - Cams for lower / more torque and the oil gear, which most switch out to a billet piece.

So you can get a 2015 frpp 50m coyote for 6-7 k the PCM for 1500 and a proper MM k for say 700. Its the support stuff that adds up but if you have a built trans and stout car Thats about 10 k

Btw this thread is bait dont ya think, lol

Currently going through a coyote swap. But I expect to have less than 10k in mine.

Bought a hurt, but running coyote motor out of a 2012 mustang for $1k. Hoping to have a forged shortblock built for around $3k.

K-Member swap, manual brakes, manual rack from UPR for $1500.00

Headers are $700.
Computer $1400
Bell housing for modular motor can be had used.
Might want a intake with tuner...not needed right away.
Electric fan.

I'm skipping the headers and going with a turbo instead.

Reactions: 2 users
My Dad bought a low mileage Mustang motor, and bought the 4R70W transmission and all the controls from Ford racing. Said he's got about $8500 in it with the long tube headers.

Brother n laws build coyote swap:

-2011 truck motor $3500
-control pack $1400
-kooks headers $1000
-used modular k memeber $100
-used modular bell housing $200
-used boss cams $300

Still needs valve springs and some misc fittings to make his fuel system work.

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
Dang thats new coyote territory,

Any trans that fits the mods (ie 4.6 or coyote) from what I understand....

I know some have even put T5's behind them, dont think they last long