The Million Dollar Question

NJCougar

Oct 21, 2014
I pulled the 351w out of my Cougar a few weeks back and I'm wondering what I should do with it. She was running when I pulled her, but needed to be cleaned up and switching intake and carb to 4 barrel. What I'm trying to ask is, what would be the best thing to do next? Upgrade cam? Stroke? I like the idea of twin turbos, but have no experience with finding correct kits. I'm only 18 and this is my first shot at restoring. I want this to be driven a few times a week and enjoy it, but at the same time, I want to shut up any import owners if they start talking...

• Sponsors (?)

If your restoring, I'd focus on making it clean/reliable. A 351 has plenty to give. A well restored classic will out class a import all day long.

Below is the details for my build. I have a roller block, but the same principles apply. Dyno sheet attached, but put out about 435/430 at the flywheel. I kept the stock crank and rods, replacing the pistons. A couple of options if you wanted more power than this... 1) New rotating assembly to stroke out, you could be pushing 500/500. 2) Replace the hyper pistons with forged and spray. 3) Boost, of course, but that would require a different build than what I have (cam, compression, etc...)

351w (357w) F4TE roller block from a Ford Lightning
RHS 200 aluminum headsComp Cams XE274HR-12; specs on website
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-518-8/

Holley 650dp w/ mechanical advance and manual choke
RPM Air-Gap Intake
hyper pistons
stock crank/rods
arp throughout
Moroso oil pan
MSD Ready to Run dist
1.6 rr's
~10.5 comp

Attachments

• dyno2.JPG
    dyno2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 107
My .02...Save your money and do heads, cam, intake manifold, headers while its apart. Maybe stroke it if you uhave the cash and get used to driving a 450hp car. Then when you have funds and a better idea of where you want to go next, then spray, boost, or stroke as necessary. Just buy heads that you can grow into to avoid buying heads twice.

I already have an Edelbrock performer carb and intake and pertronix ignition. From what you guys are saying, heads and cam are the way to go. What would be the price tag of stroking and hp gain? I guess I can always add turbos if I don't feel satisfied. Just would like to knock out what I can while the engine is out.

If the engine is still in the car, I would just do heads and cam and enjoy your beast. If the engine is out and you got the time, money, and it isn't your daily driver, I'd invest in your forged internals and get the boost/spray later after the rest of the car is finished.

I'm only 18 and this is my first shot at restoring. I want this to be driven a few times a week and enjoy it, but at the same time, I want to shut up any import owners if they start talking...

A couple of things then...
1. You're 18. A 500hp stroker will be plenty fun. Learn to frive that much horsepower before adding turbos.
2. Twin turbos on a stroked 351w will create a ton of power...and then you will start breaking things on the rest of the car that was not designed to handle that much power. You would need to upgrade your transmission to a built C4 or a TKO, strengthen your rear end, forged internals, upgrade your cooling system and fuel system, subframe connectors, suspension (to put the power down and not just smoke your tires), brakes (cause you have to be able to stop the thing), etc...
3. There will always be somebody faster than you, get comfortable with that.

Bottom line- Realistically plan on what you want out of the car. HP and Torque is sexy, but you have many other things listed above to address before you drop the engine in. Start with a solid foundation (H/C/I) and build as you go.

Reactions: 1 user