Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you were asking for opinions and all, here's mine:

Cover the rearward half of the hole and indent the sheet metal forward of the hole. That way nothing sticks out and you still have a scoop

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I was pretty good in Algebra in HS and found out recently in my recent stint of college to earn my associates degree that I'm still pretty good at Algebra...Yes I got A's. But geometry, trig, and even Physic(which is considered science but uses A LOT of Math) just gave me headaches in high school. I also found that geometry was actually useful in life after school and wish I would have paid more attention to it in high school. Unfortunately Geometry class was right after lunch when I was in 10 grade so I spent most of my energy just trying to keep my eyes open in class. But I find I use physic and geometry a lot in my head when I shoot pool, not so much the formulas but more of what the end result will be kinda like what @jrichker was talking about.

Mike, is there any way you could possibly recess the scoop some? Kinda like the nostrils on the hood of the 96-98 Cobras? Of course it would have to be more squared just to stay with the body lines of the brick shaped car. I don't know what's under that panel just forward of the hole but I think if you were able to recess that scoop some it might not look so hideously related to a Lamborgini Countache. :eek:....:rlaugh:

The hole on the outside:
temporary_zps354169ae.jpg

Annd the hole on the inside:
temporary_zps71675cae.jpg

And if you look through the outside you can see the structure that makes up the B pillar in front of the hole, so there's not a lot of room in front of the hole that wont get into that structure (that helps anchor the seat belt, and I ain't messing with that.)

It's gonna end up being one of those modifications that need the rest of the car finished and painted to have a prayer of blending in. Right now it'll be grey primer on a yellow substrate, and they'll stick out even worse, so I have to tell myself that when they're orange, and the rest of the body mods are present they'll somewhat disappear.:rolleyes:

Or given the fact that they'll look like they feed a jet engine, I could do this:

I bought a flash player thing a couple of years ago, planning to do something like this on the other car. I gather a bunch of sound files of a jet engine....starting, taxiing, and shutting down. I install a small 12v automotive amplifier, and hook that dude to a PA horn that I install in the quarter panel. The next time I go to a show, I start the taxi sound clip and pull into the cruise, with the sound clip of that turbine engine just screaming away from the quarter, pull into the parking spot, and play the engine shut down sequence. Vice versa when I start it to leave.
http://therecordist.com/assets/sound/mp3_13/Jet_F16_Start.mp3
In this example, I'd turn the key and start the real engine right after the sound clip got to full spool.
That way when people see those big asses boxes hanging down there, they'll have to figure I needed the surface area to feed the rear mounted turbine engine.

Attachments

• temporary_zps354169ae.jpg
    temporary_zps354169ae.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 171
  • temporary_zps71675cae.jpg
    temporary_zps71675cae.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 181
Since you were asking for opinions and all, here's mine:

Cover the rearward half of the hole and indent the sheet metal forward of the hole. That way nothing sticks out and you still have a scoop

Well of course I invite your opinion Collin, Why else do you s'pose I post this s hit,... to hear myself talk?
(On second thought,......... actually I do like to hear myself talk. :rolleyes:)

Recessing the scoop is one of those "why bothers" for me. If I cut the bottom of the scoop off and leave basically what will amount to a blister that covers the hole, and then build a ramp that would direct air from the rear of the door opening rolling down into the quarter, I could keep the opening effectively as big as it is now. I'd wonder if it was all a bunch of pointless bodywork though, as I have no clue if one ounce of air would be forced in there. That transition ramp would be pretty steep, and short at the same time. I know nothing about the dynamics of airflow, but I'd imagine that "short, and steep" are not ideal design considerations when making a scoop. I may as well just put a grille over the round hole, if I'm gonna do all that work, and gain nothing.

This would be the alternative to not needing an advanced education. An Aeronautical engineering degree would come in real handy right now.:nonono:

This is how I'd want to do it, problem is by the time I got that grille area tilted at the rear, it'd run smack dab into the wheel tub, and that duct hose is huge too.
mvc-169fm.JPG

Attachments

• mvc-169fm.JPG
    mvc-169fm.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I think scoops of sorts are needed, and wont look bad. I do not think they need to be more than 1 1/2 to 2 inches "tall" to be functional. I'd like to see what yours look like on the car first. You could always remove your mounts, and shave them down to not stick out so far later.

I think scoops of sorts are needed, and wont look bad. I do not think they need to be more than 1 1/2 to 2 inches "tall" to be functional. I'd like to see what yours look like on the car first. You could always remove your mounts, and shave them down to not stick out so far later.
No, I cannot shave them down. At the existing opening size, I'm already trading 7 square inches of surface area when compared to the opening. Couple that to the fact that the radiator at the end of the tube is half again bigger than that. I need the thing to be as big as the opening is currently at minimum or else I'll just have perculating water circulating through the intercooler.

So you are saying you want the surface area of the scoop opening to be the same as the surface area of your round hole? I get that you want max airflow, but you dont think sacrificing "some" of that air flow to keep the car from looking odd is worth it? I imagine with your fans pulling the air in as well, you will be able to achieve the desired cooling you need without making your car look like a 4 wheeled, retarded, second cousin to the Countach

I do want to add, the craftsmanship of those scoops is great. The edges and curves seem to match up well.

Last edited:
Here's a question @madmike1157 ... where is the air going after it gets to the intercoolers/radiators? Seems like you'll just be pressurizing the trunk if the air isn't coming out somewhere. Did I miss something? Do I need to go back 30-something pages to refresh my memory of the setup? I was just thinking about all this air you're trying to channel into the scoops to get TO the radiators but if it doesn't go OUT somewhere then its not gonna go THROUGH the radiators. I'm a firefighter so all this is in my brain is positive pressure ventilation but the air has to get in and get out. I'm sure you have a plan for all this, I must have either forgotten what that plan is or I missed it.

Here's a question @madmike1157 ... where is the air going after it gets to the intercoolers/radiators? Seems like you'll just be pressurizing the trunk if the air isn't coming out somewhere. Did I miss something? Do I need to go back 30-something pages to refresh my memory of the setup? I was just thinking about all this air you're trying to channel into the scoops to get TO the radiators but if it doesn't go OUT somewhere then its not gonna go THROUGH the radiators. I'm a firefighter so all this is in my brain is positive pressure ventilation but the air has to get in and get out. I'm sure you have a plan for all this, I must have either forgotten what that plan is or I missed it.
Well, it was actually 2 pages back, but who's counting?
View attachment 111102
Direct your attention to the slot cut out of the floor directly behind the radiators.

Todays' update is more of a "what not to do" than it is a "see what I did".

My last update had me doubting that I'd actually use the side scoops that now have a total of about 24 hours of work invested in them. I guess the reason for this "non-update" is more of a testimonial to how bad some of the things I do can be.
In most cases, anybody else would've probably bailed on the one when they first noticed the thing looked wrong after setting it up along side it's intended destination.

But not me.

No,...I had to go and build another to the point of it's rough completion, and completely finish the first to the point of three wet sanded coats of high build primer, thinkin that a finished piece would somehow look less obnoxious than the rough version did. I was wrong.

It still looks retarded as hell.

temporary_zpsb5c0777e.jpg

temporary_zps7e743bf7.jpg

And now for the big finish.......... View attachment 110983

temporary_zps7b6b20c2.jpg

View attachment 110987

Cant argue with the fit though,...the thing fits like it was made for it.:rolleyes:

I guess I'm putting the pics up on the very slight chance that I'm just not seeing things right. It's not like every thing I don't like automatically means somebody agrees with me. For instance, there's a Mustang II/Pinto. Take that as an example.......I Cant stand that thing, and think it looks like ass.

But there are those guys out there that love the things. Why they do, you got me.

So submit it for your approval, ( but really more likely disapproval).

These things were never part of the original plan. The original plan was just to cover the holes w/ a screened trim ring, and not worry about forcing any air in there. There are fans that will suck air in through the inlets as of now anyway, I just don't know how beneficial it is to try and force feed additional air in there as well. I've looked at the openings for a long while now, and I just don't know how I'd fab a scoop that will be more than a cosmetic cover for the hole.

I do however know this:

Nothing advances in the interior until I solve this issue. I need to cover the duct hoses w/ a "rear seat delete" and the inlets have to be sorted out before that.

Attachments

• temporary_zps7e743bf7.jpg
    temporary_zps7e743bf7.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 154
  • temporary_zpsb5c0777e.jpg
    temporary_zpsb5c0777e.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 164
  • temporary_zps7b6b20c2.jpg
    temporary_zps7b6b20c2.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 196
Idk man,with all the other one off fabricated builds you have done I would bet you could make some scoops that would look good. What about some scoops starting at the body line and running down to the separation in the rocker and running the full length back to the wheel well,rounded and smoothed following along with the body lines would be good looking, just an idea,I'm sure you will come up with something wild and cool.

The Winner!:banana:
XAFordFalconGT351Hardtop.jpg

Suggestion courtesy of my 6 cylinder loving buddy from New Zealand, yet one more Australian idea I'll steal for myself, is the rear mounted, flushed in scoop that Ford Australia put on the 351GT Falcon version of our 71 Torino. Whether it'll end up looking like the front inlet, or the rear IDK yet. But I do find amusing that I just can't stop plagerizing Australian ideas on my Arizonian Fairmont.:jester:

Attachments

• XAFordFalconGT351Hardtop.jpg
    XAFordFalconGT351Hardtop.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.