• Sponsors (?)

Well folks....I went to HomeDepot and found fittings. I decided not to go that route because the hose barb available was only 1/2 inch, unlike the 5/8 hose that I have.

I did buy a fitting and cap for the unused port..
IMG_20170612_195612862.jpg
IMG_20170612_195649144_HDR.jpg

This little guy worked great for me...and met my low standards but as I was checking out my new addition to Dusty my buddy walks up and says, " What the hell are ya doin ?"

I responded with, " Making somethin' from nothin' to make sumthin' work ". He said I was nuts...proceeded to take the bottom drain fitting off and told me he was taking it to work to make some fittings that made goddamn sense. ( the same guy that did the steering shaft ).

I'm really appreciating this guy.

I'd do just about anything for a decent friend....within reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to share something with you guys. I went and bought this polish called White Diamonds at Advance auto.
3b5669a5-4aa2-4578-ab75-b4b86fdbf500_1.7a4e9ba9bc7046f95d7517d3d2059638.jpeg

For the past couple days I've been polishing all types of stuff on the car. This stuff took the brown tarnish off my stainless steel pipes....and what it does to aluminum is absolutely amazing.

After cleaning up my intake, caster camber plates, and polishing my new oil breather canister, I decided to try it on my aluminum AC line. It started raining so not too many picks ...but check this out.
IMG_20170616_192433204.jpg

This was really in less than 5 minutes...
IMG_20170616_193121746.jpg

This stuff runs circles around the pink bubble gum I was using.

Still waiting on fittings to come. So I'm sitting around going crazy. Theres not a whole lot I can do...so....

Reactions: 2 users
Every time I do something I find something else that needs to be done. This is no different than that.

I found an oil leak coming from my fuel pump block off plate.
IMG_20170617_163130457_HDR.jpg

Guess I'll seal that up while I'm sitting around.

I want to pull my other fender off so I can paint the inner fenders. This rain business has to stop.

I decided to order fittings. My buddy said he could make some but he can't. But he's been holding my drain fitting since earlyvthis week. Only being able to work on the car on the weekends means he cost me a week.

My car fender has been off waiting for fittings so its been raining on all types of stuff that doesn't need to get soaked. Like my air filter and the steal mesh filter on my brand new oil breather.

He set me back a week but the polishing wouldn't have gotten done...I wouldn't have found another oil leak...and I wouldn't be about to pull off my other fender to prepair to paint. Guess I gotta look at the brighter side.

He says he left my drain fitting at work on his desk...hope that's true. Aaarrrgh this is why I do stuff myself.

But I'm ordering fittings from Jegs. They'll be here next week and the show will continue.

Last edited:
Happy fathers day to all the Dads !!!!

So...I've decided to paint my inner fender semi gloss black. Already hit a couple surface rust areas with emery cloth and a rustoleum rust converter.

Now, I'm going to move the wires and solenoid to behind the drivers side fender. Is there a good reason for not putting stuff on the frame structure out of the wheel well ? I mean....other than getting hit and pinching the wires. There seems to be enough room to run them above the wheel well and strut tower opening.

Guess I'll figure it all out.

See, @Davedacarpainter ... That polish leads to some crazy thoughts...next thing ya know I'll be ordering inner fender panels and welding and filling. I did get a real gas mig welder.

Any reason not to use rustoleum semi gloss...? Its worked for me in the past. How hard is it to paint over ?

Last edited:
I'm test fitting all the wiring before painting ( I was bored )

This process is a lot easier than I thought.
IMG_20170620_184424175.jpg
IMG_20170620_185312460.jpg
IMG_20170620_192536534_HDR.jpg

The only issue I had was with the alternator harness. The plug was too big to fit through the hole with the other wires. I just de- pinned it and slid the wires through.
IMG_20170620_191124727.jpg

Now to figure out where to mount the starter relay and my power block. Smh

My day is coming to an end....its getting dark. Dusty has to go to bed. Unlike many vehicles my issue isn't wire being too short, but wires being too long. Found a place for my solenoid and power block ( taken from a Chevy 1500 ).
IMG_20170620_201438552_HDR.jpg

This is as far as I got...
IMG_20170620_203920291.jpg

I've got a lot of shortening and wrapping to do. Plus, there's an edge right above the tire that I want to avoid. The coil and brake reservoir wires are getting lengthened....not because I have to but because I want to run them through a different hole to hide them better. This is my dusty inner fender....
IMG_20170620_203941363.jpg

Just to show how bored I am....even though I'm getting Euro hood latches I couldn't resist changing my hood pins ( pin style ) to these beauties I picked up from tractor supply.
IMG_20170620_204954308.jpg

Last edited:
When's the maiden voyage Scott?

Sometime this year, I hope.

No seriously....I plan to drive this thing soon. Got the oil leak to fix, wires to straighten out, the oil catch can to plumb, pcv valve to figure out, front bumper to finish, paint the inner fenders, hangers on the exhaust, and then I can drive it.

This thing felt great driving around the neighborhood....but that was before the sway bar was spaced down away from the pan. Luckily I didn't damage it.

Just think, after all this I get to tear it all apart again and do body work and paint and make it all pretty. Let's not forget carpet and interior stuff. This whole car is going to be completely stripped again.

Hopefully, that stage will be at a house with a garage. I've only been looking for two years now. The wife is complicated... All I need is a decent garage for a decent price...she has to have an open floor plan, a big kitchen, big closets, finished basement, decent deck, fenced in yard, big master bath, and all that attached to my decent garage is very hard to find in my price range in this area. You would think she's paying for it.... jeesh.

Last edited:
Dumb a#$ Scott does it again. :nonono:

I ordered the wrong fittings from Jegs. They weren't -12an....they were -10an. The top port for the filter is -12an. Luckily, the local PepBoys had what I needed in stock. So this is how my breather sits...for now. I've been thinking about running a hose to my intake to pull vapor when under vacuum. I have no idea how that may change the tune.
IMG_20170622_183605555.jpg

I'm ordering fuse holders for my alternator cable, battery cable, and my amp wire in the next few days.

Does anyone know how many amps are drawn with the starter cranking and computer on ?

I want to run a fuse so if my fender crashes into my power block it'll keep my car from burning to the ground.

Last edited: