The wing is coming together. Sanded through the layers of paint and got down to the nitty gritty.

This thing has a pretty decent series of cracks. I'll need some advise from davedacarpainter for this one....

20180428_181721.jpg

Here's a close up...

20180428_181713.jpg

They don't seem to go all the way through.

20180428_181737.jpg

I need some help with this one fellas. I have some fiberglass resin jelly. Figure I can grind it out with the dremel and spread some jelly with some fiberglass reinforcement strands in it. Then I would use filler over it. I don't want this thing coming back. The questions are ... do i need to grind all those little cracks out, too ? What's the best way to tackle this crapola ?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Will do, Dave.

I've done fiberglass work in the past but i can't say i did it the right way. Usually consisted of some sort of bondo. The Bondo hair seemed to hold up pretty well on my hood and fiberglass fenders.

You’re on the right track Scott. Chase one of them down to see how thick they are.

A little kitty hair and resin will make it fine though.

An old guy taught me a trick 20 years ago. Her showed me that fiberglass won't stick to any antifreeze bottle.

I chopped up an old bottle and made support braces for the end cap fiberglass. Used some cardboard and made a template... then cut out the plastic.

20180430_192749.jpg

Came out pretty decent...
20180430_193148.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Got the first stage of fiberglass done. Used to layers of mat and two layers of woven. Turned out good enough for me. I'll throw a couple layers on the inside and a little reinforced resin for the stud stands.

Its amazing what can get done when the wife and kids are gone.... Just me and the dogs for a while.
20180501_195906.jpg

20180501_195906.jpg
20180501_204054.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My Mann chapel of a shed is officially gone. I posted it on CL for free and it didn't take long.

20180502_064559.jpg

Today when i get home I'll get to trimming and fitting the wing caps.

One of the next things i need to do is make the side skirts. More to come on that subject....

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
20180503_024728.jpg
20180503_025810.jpg

These things turned out great !!!! It's a shame I'm going to have to cut into them to make them fit. The blotches are just differences in the resin layers. They are completely smooth... and more alike than when they came from the factory.

I'm excited.... it's been a long time since i could accomplish something this significant on Dusty.

Reactions: 5 users
Those came out looking awesome, but where is the picture of them sitting on the trunk lid?

It should happen later today. I've still got to trim out for the body lines on the rear quarters. Then reinforce the inside with more fiberglass and finish sand. I've got to fit them first so i know where i can add support. They're firm as hell now.... but the firmer the better.

This thing is going to be great. I'm planning on making a mold so i can make duplicates. Someone should've reproduced these a long time ago.

@BMWrider thanks man for your awesome build. Mine is different but you were the inspiration. I really like how you added the pieces in to your wing to get that revised angle point. I'm not that good yet....lol

I look forward to seeing it. It is defiantly coming along, and will probably be using the AF bottle idea for my summer speaker box project

This is as far as I got today. Still a little trimming to do..... and sanding.... and more sanding.

20180503_205212.jpg

20180503_205226.jpg

20180503_205244.jpg
20180503_205313.jpg

Dusty is living up to his name...

I'll giver him a good wash tomorrow.... and get him out of the dirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thats awesome. There was a center section of one by itself on Ebay for $30. I considered buying it and trying to make end caps like that. I love what youre doing.

Thanks man !!! I've always liked these wings. It's a lot of work too make this thing fit but it's worth every bit of it.

I've got to adjust the trunk lid ( the drivers side sits a little low ). Then i can finish fitting it.

I've got a dilemma.....

Do i go through all the work to increase the length of the wing by 1/16th per side to have more clearance on the sides.... our do i leave it the hell alone ?

The issue is the wing was designed to fit the hatch all the way around the bottom edge. Now that I'm mounting out on the trunk out still wants to fit tight on the sides. There's only enough room to slide a piece of paper behind it. With down force I'm sure it will contact the paint.

On another note... here's how i made the sides just about exactly the same...

20180505_180350.jpg

I made a paper template and transfered the pattern over. Worked great.

Now back to more fun stuff...

I've got a dilemma.....

Do i go through all the work to increase the length of the wing by 1/16th per side to have more clearance on the sides.... our do i leave it the hell alone ?

The issue is the wing was designed to fit the hatch all the way around the bottom edge. Now that I'm mounting out on the trunk out still wants to fit tight on the sides. There's only enough room to slide a piece of paper behind it. With down force I'm sure it will contact the paint.

On another note... here's how i made the sides just about exactly the same...

20180505_180350.jpg

I made a paper template and transfered the pattern over. Worked great.

Now back to more fun stuff...
Hey Scott show me a picture or two of what you’re talking about in the firment issues.

The paper template is exactly the right thing to do. When I go to widen Booger’s quarters I will do that with each piece. That keeps the symmetry correct between sides.