Progress Thread Tanner's "there's Probably A Name For This Illness" Builds Thread

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
Alright, here we go again

Most of you know I built a 98 car and finished it up, oh i dont know, 2 weeks ago.
Well, here it is now
IMG_5965.JPG

driveline out, hood gone, sittin on jack stands....

Because I bought this
IMG_5969.JPG

89 LX Coupe
Car has power brakes, power steering, 4 lug with some sweet drum brakes, BLACK pony wheels and an 8.8 with 3.73s. Which is gonna be perfect for the pile of junk I was hoping to start. Its all getting tossed.
Along with the cheese graters!

Car will be 4 wheel disc 5 lug, with manual brakes and steering. SN95 rear axle with 4.10s and a spool.
suspension will be a tubular k sn95 rack and arms, coil overs and heim joint adjustable stuff out back

The plan is to also install the SN95 dash and console
IMG_5914.PNG

Current interior
IMG_5980.JPG

Current dash is actually in great shape. Carpet is new but useless for my project

Engine bay is clean, just going to give it the same treatment the 98 got
IMG_5984.JPG

The downside...

The windshield needs replaced, not a big deal.
What you cant see is the bumpers, although the paint is only a few weeks old, they really sh it the bed on the bumpers in my opinion. ignore the water spots if you can
IMG_5976.JPG

you wouldnt notice it at a glace or even 3 feet away, but i do. The car has to have a cowl hood painted so getting new bumpers done too isnt a big deal.

So although the drivetrain doesnt need sorted out or debated, there are some areas that do.

First, im kicking around the idea of an 85-86 nose

Also thinking i might go off a little off track and completely remove the wiring from the car.
The holley system controls everything engine related, no problems there.
So the starter, fuel pump, fans and lights will probably get adapted into a painless switch panel.
brake lights are pretty simple, the only thing that will stay will be locks and windows.
@madmike1157, is that a ron francis specialty?

thats all ive got for now. Just picked up the car and its supposed to be hot as hell this weekend.
hopefully theres enough beer and shade to get the white car completely stripped and off to its new home

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, here we go again

Most of you know I built a 98 car and finished it up, oh i dont know, 2 weeks ago.
Well, here it is now
IMG_5965.JPG

driveline out, hood gone, sittin on jack stands....

Because I bought this
IMG_5969.JPG

89 LX Coupe
Car has power brakes, power steering, 4 lug with some sweet drum brakes, BLACK pony wheels and an 8.8 with 3.73s. Which is gonna be perfect for the pile of junk I was hoping to start. Its all getting tossed.
Along with the cheese graters!

Car will be 4 wheel disc 5 lug, with manual brakes and steering. SN95 rear axle with 4.10s and a spool.
suspension will be a tubular k sn95 rack and arms, coil overs and heim joint adjustable stuff out back

The plan is to also install the SN95 dash and console
IMG_5914.PNG

Current interior
IMG_5980.JPG

Current dash is actually in great shape. Carpet is new but useless for my project

Engine bay is clean, just going to give it the same treatment the 98 got
IMG_5984.JPG

The downside...

The windshield needs replaced, not a big deal.
What you cant see is the bumpers, although the paint is only a few weeks old, they really sh it the bed on the bumpers in my opinion. ignore the water spots if you can
IMG_5976.JPG

you wouldnt notice it at a glace or even 3 feet away, but i do. The car has to have a cowl hood painted so getting new bumpers done too isnt a big deal.

So although the drivetrain doesnt need sorted out or debated, there are some areas that do.

First, im kicking around the idea of an 85-86 nose

Also thinking i might go off a little off track and completely remove the wiring from the car.
The holley system controls everything engine related, no problems there.
So the starter, fuel pump, fans and lights will probably get adapted into a painless switch panel.
brake lights are pretty simple, the only thing that will stay will be locks and windows.
@madmike1157, is that a ron francis specialty?

Sorry Tanner, Can't answer that.

thats all ive got for now. Just picked up the car and its supposed to be hot as hell this weekend.
hopefully theres enough beer and shade to get the white car completely stripped and off to its new home

Sorry Tanner, Can't answer that.

Yeah, that was the idea. I'm assuming it was previously carb'd. Would be interested in it's effectiveness considering my intake setup

Anyone have access to wiring harness diagrams for an 89 fox and/or a 98 GT?

Unsure of how I'll wire up the ignition. But thinking I may eliminate the key on 12v stuff all together and build a switch bank for the few things that need it.
Running lights, turn signals, brake lights and window/lock power are the only things I'm really worried about retaining factory wiring for.

Would love a diagram of this wiring
Schematic

@jrichker would you have the fox one at least or point me the right direction?

Not to be mean, but seriously, no power brakes or power steering?
I don't take it to be mean at all. A lot of people have huge misconceptions about manual brakes and steering based on never having driven either (broken/looped power rack or pushing the pedal with the car off doesn't count or compare)
It's a streetable race car. Plain and simple.
The manual parts are far lighter.
The manual rack requires no fluid or pump, also keeping in mind it's a GM motor that you can't just bolt the ford pump to. I also have 4" wide front wheels, very small contact patch, or friction when turning. You never notice above 10mph.
The motor doesn't produce a lot of vacuum due to the camshaft, which is detrimental to vacuum assisted power brakes, or the hydro boost from the sn95 especially (fluid less manual rack remember?)
The manual brakes have great stopping power, the pedal is barely stiffer at all. It's cleaner, more compact, allows the same stopping power if I've gotta shut it down at speed due to failure. I'd venture to say my 4 wheel disc manual brakes out perform the disc/drum fox combo by a good margin
There's a million reasons why this setup works best for me, so while I understand the reservations, it's far from a performance downgrade and will absolutely remain on the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Intending to be be mean,..... Do we really need to need a laundry list for why you like manual junk instead of the effortless, silky smooth operation of power assisted brakes and steering?

:stick:

Reactions: 1 users
PM me your email address and I will send you a complete Ford Factory 89 Mustang electrical diagram set. The zip file is 2.5 MB and is too big to fit through Stangnet's email gateway.

89 Mustang wiring diagrams zip package–

They are in a zip file format to reduce the size of the package. If you don't have Windows 7 or Windows 8, you’ll need WinZip or other Windows archive tool to extract them from the zip file.. See www.majorgeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities for a free download.

The diagrams show the location area and the connectors are drawn to the same shape as those in the car.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Manual steering really doesn't take much effort. I've had it in 3 cars now and it's not that big of a deal
The red car had em both. Manual steering and brakes. AND I had full size tires on front. As long as you don't get the 15:1 ratio sport rack,.... then I agree not that big a deal. AND furthermore,...as long as the brake pedal ratio has been modified for manual brakes, and the M/C has the right sized piston bore for the application,......again,..N.B.D.

It's not gonna run long enough before he sells it, or moves to a different body for him to feel the pain anyway,..I don't know why we're even talking here.

@madmike1157 Maybe he should start looking for a Fairmont now and you two goofballs can go tear the streets up in your bastard powered cars together!:stick:

Kidding of course, I really enjoy both of your build threads!

Reactions: 3 users
@madmike1157 Maybe he should start looking for a Fairmont now and you two goofballs can go tear the streets up in your bastard powered cars together!:stick:

Kidding of course, I really enjoy both of your build threads!

There's only enough room for one cool assed non-Mustang in this forum. That'd be me.

Anddd...

It's a Cyclone,..not a Fairmont.

Reactions: 1 user
PM me your email address and I will send you a complete Ford Factory 89 Mustang electrical diagram set. The zip file is 2.5 MB and is too big to fit through Stangnet's email gateway.

89 Mustang wiring diagrams zip package–

They are in a zip file format to reduce the size of the package. If you don't have Windows 7 or Windows 8, you’ll need WinZip or other Windows archive tool to extract them from the zip file.. See www.majorgeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities for a free download.

The diagrams show the location area and the connectors are drawn to the same shape as those in the car.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html - Adobe Reader download - All versions
JR... you should be able to load that file in a PM that he can download, directly from the conversation. Please let me know if this is not the case and I will look into it.