There is oil in my coolant, please help!

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
SO, I went out to check my oil and coolant levels today. I just had my upper radiator hose burst on me a couple weeks ago so I wanted to make sure my fluid levels were good. The oil looked good - no problems there- I then took a look at my coolant levels and noticed the color of the tank.... its was really dark. I took the lid off the overflow tank and much to my dismay its mostly full of oil. I looked under the lower intake manifold and there is a wet spot under there as well. This is NOT what I want with my cams on a UPS truck somewhere on there way to me....

Well guys were do I start? What should I look for?

• Sponsors (?)

I have never heard of oil getting into the cooling system. But I have heard of coolant getting into the oil pan. Usaully a head gasket will allow coolant to
get down to the pan. And you will see it in the oil. Are you sure someone
didn't acciently try to add oil to the overflow thinking it was where oil is
added? Maybe someone else has a better idea how this happened.

Only time I have ever seen coolant get oily looking was when an automatic trans car's radiator, with the built in cooler, broke on the inside and mixed tranny goo and coolant together. Seing as how you have a manual, I would do a coolant test. There are those kits that test your coolant and show if you have a leak somewhere. I think Autozone rents it. Do a flush and fill and an oil change, and see if the same crap happens after a good run on the freeway.

One of the only places i can see this happening is throguh the remote oil filter housing. The adapter that fits between your block and where the oil filter spins on. There is a gasket between the block and that adapter/remote filter housing, whatever ou want to call it. It has coolant passages and oil passages right next to each other, Ford :nonono: . When I redid my block I had to change my gasket there.When i saw that stupid set up I laughed. I don't know if that would be it though, just the only thing I can think of that might put oil into coolant. Like everyone's said, it's usually the other way around.

This may sound stupid but are you sure that it is oil in the tank? Sometimes coolant gets realllly nasty and can look the color of oil. That's probably not your issue but I always try to rule out the common sense stuff first ....

Other than what others have said, I have no idea how oil would get in there. :shrug:

Drain the coolent and dump in some fresh stuff, drive it around for a few days and check the coolent again when the engine is cold. If you are getting oil in the coolent, the oil will settle on the top and will be very noticable. Unfortunatly, the usual cause is a cracked block.

will do! I talked to a guy today that seemed to shine some light on the situation. He was telling me that I could tell if it was a blown head gasket by checking to see if there is extra pressure being built up in the coolant system. two weeks ago I blew out my upper radiator hose and I couldnt trace to a reason why... So it sounds likes its a head gasket..

Anyone know if you can pull the heads off with long tubes attatches??????

well I just did a compression test and all the cylinders were at 140 except #1 was at 145... i was really hoping for an obvious problem..under the intake is a little wet (looks like coolant) but other than that no signs of leaking. I just changed the intake in january, so I dont think its that..

SilverBullet00 said:
well I just did a compression test and all the cylinders were at 140 except #1 was at 145... i was really hoping for an obvious problem..under the intake is a little wet (looks like coolant) but other than that no signs of leaking. I just changed the intake in january, so I dont think its that..

You don't have any oil passing through the intake, so if there is another crack or a bad gasket, you would be leaking coolent or getting exhaust into the coolent [this is what would cause the bubbling in the rad and hard hoses]but not oil.

It's doubtful that any signs of a cracked block would show up with a compression or leakdown test.
The oil in the coolent will make the rubber rad hoses and heater hoses soft and therefore more susceptible to bursting.
Did you perchance not have enough antifreeze in your engine over the winter?

There was antifreeze in my car. I put the new intake on the beginning of january and flushed the coolant then, so its had new stuff all winter.

I went out and changed the oil filter adapter gasket hoping it would be something easy like that, but no luck.

I put new oil and new coolant in, fired her up and let her get to operating temperature. Once the car was hot I shut it off and the same damn thing happend...oil in the coolant. HOWEVER, after draining the coolant there is no sign of water in the oil...For now I think im going to tear it down and look at the head gaskets..