Thinking About New Springs

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I've had FRPP C springs for almost as long as I've owned my Mustang. I don't do any track racing and rarely go drag racing. Most of my fun is just being able to maneuver with ease in traffic. I like being able to get to where I want to be without too many cars in traffic being able to shut the door on me. I am not a street racer and don't condone it.

That being said and out of the way, I find myself wanting a little more creature comfort out of the car. I have on occasion, made the decision to not take my car to some place or another because I didn't feel like getting the teeth shook out of my head by the stiffness of the suspension.

I have adjustable shocks all the way around. You can feel the adjustments made when you change the rear shocks. Not so much in the front. I think the C springs are rated for about 600 lb/in. You can feel every bit of it. Change the front struts to any setting and you really won't notice anything. Maybe I'm just getting older but a little softer ride seems a bit more appealing. The car handles great but I never really test its limits. Anybody have a good suggestion for a softer set of springs that keep me handling better than stock but won't chip my teeth over every bump and pothole in the road?

• Sponsors (?)

I have no first hand experience with this, but I have heard that going to coil-overs will help improve the ride quality...it sort of makes sense, when you think about the improved geometry that coil-overs have.

From what I've heard, FRPP B springs are much more road friendly than the C springs. Many who think that C springs are too firm switch to B springs and love 'em and it makes sense since the spring rate of the stockers are 450 lb/in in the front and 210 lb/in in the rear and the B springs are just a bit firmer at 425/530 lb/in in the front and 200-300 lb/in in the rear. C springs are the same in the rear but have a linear spring rate of 650 lb/in in the front, so not the springs you want to have if you're looking for a comfortable ride.

I've got SR springs and I couldn't be happier. They have more drop than C springs without giving such a harsh ride. The springs are 525 lb/in up front and 250 lb/in out back and that is enough for me, I don't think I could bear C springs with my car as a dd.

Hope this helps :nice:

Reactions: 1 user