okay sir, it ran fine before the new lifters and injectors lol... (it had a lot of clatter from rockers having lash not preload and had no lope really.. I actually installed correctly this time..) I do not even know where i could get someone to make a chip for my car.. I have the **** to convert to speed density but i wanted to avoid it for now.
Convert to speed density? You mean mass air?
Ran fine before new lifters and injectors? Reference: no 02's
No lope before with rockers having lash above the valve springs?
I'm kinda confused, it ran?

• Sponsors (?)

Like I said, I'm kinda confused. You mentioned something about old gas, need to take care of that, todays fuel sucks, literally, the ethanol sucks the moisture right out of the air.
Sometimes you have to go backwards a step or two before you can go forward successfully.
I'd like to know what you started out with, and list your mods in chronological order.
And what your end goal is.

SD + 30#injectors + a cam with 110 LSA? No bueno. If your rockers are clacking or chattering you either didnt have the lifers pumped up, the cam was not on the base lobe, ir you need shims. I normally dont want more than 1/2 a turn of preload for a street motor. If you have stock E7's your springs could be weak leading to excessive valvetrain play/

You need to get rid of the 30# injectors- they are washing down your cylinders with fuel and causing all kinds of problems with your EEC.
The E cam is a terrible fit with your combo and is going to cause idle problems, drivability problems. I'd put the stock cam back in,,

Reactions: 1 users
SD + 30#injectors + a cam with 110 LSA? No bueno. If your rockers are clacking or chattering you either didnt have the lifers pumped up, the cam was not on the base lobe, ir you need shims. I normally dont want more than 1/2 a turn of preload for a street motor. If you have stock E7's your springs could be weak leading to excessive valvetrain play/

You need to get rid of the 30# injectors- they are washing down your cylinders with fuel and causing all kinds of problems with your EEC.
The E cam is a terrible fit with your combo and is going to cause idle problems, drivability problems. I'd put the stock cam back in,,
Yes.

That is all

Convert to speed density? You mean mass air?
Ran fine before new lifters and injectors? Reference: no 02's
No lope before with rockers having lash above the valve springs?
I'm kinda confused, it ran?
okay sorry... I tore it apart and wanted to replace the lifters and re set my rockers. They are 1.7 pedestal mount rockers. They had lash and were not properly set... ( had help from someone who thought they needed lash... ) car ran okay just had a lot of clatter from the rocker arms.. I got 30 lb injectors for cheap so i figured id try them out on the car because the stock injectors had the yellow plastic broke and were not in good shape. I haven't had o2's on the car... no o2's. ? so.. yeah and yes it ran before. not the best and was no faster then stock.

Okay. To clarify.. The rocker arms no longer clatter now that i have them set correctly.... no shims necessary . and the springs are not stock.. i will get rid of these 30lb injectors.. thanks for the advice.. but im keeping my cam I went through the trouble of replacing the rockers springs pushrods and lifters lol what other cam would you suggest?

Like I said, I'm kinda confused. You mentioned something about old gas, need to take care of that, todays fuel sucks, literally, the ethanol sucks the moisture right out of the air.
Sometimes you have to go backwards a step or two before you can go forward successfully.
I'd like to know what you started out with, and list your mods in chronological order.
And what your end goal is.
Okay, I'm going to replace injectors and start off with fresh fuel. My mods are 255 lph bbk fuel pump gt40 intake, oem replacement lifters, stock length pushrods hardened, 1.7 pedestal mount rocker arms, ford racing valve springs (i forget which ones) e7 heads with a little port job., unequal bbk shorty headers and offroad xpipe...

wait- you do not have O2 sensors? Why? You need to replace them. You do realize your SD conputer reads input from them to determiune the proper A/F ratio, I highly doubt this car is running "great" with no O2's and an E cam.

If you are dead set on keeping that cam, you will need to spend around $3-500 for a tune to be burned on a chip that will piggyback onto the EEC. That cam is completely wrong for your setup and the money spent on the tune could be spent to actually make the car work better, not patch up mismatched parts. Your call.

Contact Mike Post or Chris Johnson at SCT for a tune.

Reactions: 1 user
wait- you do not have O2 sensors? Why? You need to replace them. You do realize your SD conputer reads input from them to determiune the proper A/F ratio, I highly doubt this car is running "great" with no O2's and an E cam.

If you are dead set on keeping that cam, you will need to spend around $3-500 for a tune to be burned on a chip that will piggyback onto the EEC. That cam is completely wrong for your setup and the money spent on the tune could be spent to actually make the car work better, not patch up mismatched parts. Your call.

Contact Mike Post or Chris Johnson at SCT for a tune.
what cam do you suggest then? honestly what would be good for this set up?

what cam do you suggest then? honestly what would be good for this set up?
If it where me I'd go back to stock cam, stick the 02s back in with some 19 pounders, with fresh fuel, I think you'll see a difference, like I said before, two steps back.
Thats just my two cents worth.
By the way, I think people get confused with rocker arm set up between the old 302's and the 5.0's, the old 302's had stud mount rockers and the 5.0's have pedestal mount.

Last edited:
I guess i don't understand why everyone keeps saying an e303 cam is such a bad cam for my set up? What is it good for then? I'm not as knowledgeable about cams obviously but I didn't think it was too aggressive for my very lightly modded car.. What cam should I have thrown in?

First- replace your O2 sensors
2nd put a set of 19 # injectors on it

You are going to be limited to SD friendly cams unless you want a tune, I used to run a Crane SD friendly cam. Crower also makes one, To be frank, you are better off running a stock cam with the 1.7 rockers with the SD EEC. You will have better driveavibility, vacuum and about the same lift as a B am with stock LSA,

until you swap to MAF, your options are somewhat limited without a tune, The EEC can accept around 10% difference in parameters form what is programmed before things go wonky.

I guess i don't understand why everyone keeps saying an e303 cam is such a bad cam for my set up? What is it good for then? I'm not as knowledgeable about cams obviously but I didn't think it was too aggressive for my very lightly modded car.. What cam should I have thrown in?
Those cams were good in 1993-4, technology has changed along with computers and presidents.

okay so. checklist: 02's
First- replace your O2 sensors
2nd put a set of 19 # injectors on it

You are going to be limited to SD friendly cams unless you want a tune, I used to run a Crane SD friendly cam. Crower also makes one, To be frank, you are better off running a stock cam with the 1.7 rockers with the SD EEC. You will have better driveavibility, vacuum and about the same lift as a B am with stock LSA,

until you swap to MAF, your options are somewhat limited without a tune, The EEC can accept around 10% difference in parameters form what is programmed before things go wonky.
New goals to reach. thanks for sharing the info

Those cams were good in 1993-4, technology has changed along with computers and presidents.
It was a cheap cam that came with my gt40 intake and other e7 heads that I had a little work on. I agree this whole engine is way out dated tho .. I just wanted to work with I got for cheap n do some stuff I never have had the opportunity to .

Stick around and ask the right questions and the people here will help you out, just about any scenario/question has been asked or commented on here, 'cept maybe a big block in a prius, I've learned alot just by reading posts on other people's problems.

Stick around and ask the right questions and the people here will help you out, just about any scenario/question has been asked or commented on here, 'cept maybe a big block in a prius, I've learned alot just by reading posts on other people's problems.
I know most of what I've learned trying to troubleshoot and work on my car alone I've learned from here. Never joined before just used google and a lot of the same problems I had were posted on here and solved.