TKO 500/600 help

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
ive been toying with the idea of getting a T-56 tranny, but the only thing holding me back is many gears are the same or steeper ratios. i need a new tranny, but would like one with longer gears i.e. lower ratios since my 4.10s help pull along the RPMs anyways. so who has the one of the TKO trannys and how are the ratios?

• Sponsors (?)

DerekStangGT said:
ive been toying with the idea of getting a T-56 tranny, but the only thing holding me back is many gears are the same or steeper ratios. i need a new tranny, but would like one with longer gears i.e. lower ratios since my 4.10s help pull along the RPMs anyways. so who has the one of the TKO trannys and how are the ratios?
I had the 600 with the street performance gearset. It had a taller 1st and 5th. I had a blower with the 3.73's and it was perfect. Almost to the point where I wanted to put 4.10's in.

hotmustang331 said:
Fords T56 has a much taller 1st gear. Personally I would get the Viper spec T56...throw in some 4.56 gears with that .50 6th gear :D . Talk about ripping it up lol.
yeah, i was thinking about the 6 spd anyway. if i did get the T-56, it would be the viper spec, but theyre $2,500 as compared to a TKO for ~$1700. i keep wondering, do i really need that 6th gear?

02LaserRed2V said:
Don't forget, D&D Performance t56 6-speeds have the Cobra R t56 ratios (2.97 1st, 2.07 2nd, 1.43 3rd, 1.00 4th, 0.80 5th, 0.62 6th)

You'll need a lot of tq to get running with the much taller Viper spec ratios
how many RPMs are you turning at 80 in 6th? i just dont want to have to shift as much as i am with my T-45

DerekStangGT said:
how many RPMs are you turning at 80 in 6th? i just dont want to have to shift as much as i am with my T-45

I'm doing about 2300 rpm @ 80mph in 6th gear with 3.55 gears

Don't be a wuss! :p This is my VERY FIRST stick car EVER...with a Spec Stage 3 clutch, and I drive it daily! If I can handle this, you can handle shifting a tad bit more lol