to scoop or not to scoop

corpse

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2001
chicago area
Hi all, how is everyone?

Lately it's been the season to work on the stang - although it *should* have been done in the winter, not in July, as I *should* be driving it :-(

I'm finishing up on the rear-end work - it's finally built, now everything surrounding it has to get done.. While all that is going on, I started to talk to a paint guy that is going to finish up a few paint related things...

Since I have someone that can do basic black flames, it led me (finally to the point) to the hood scoop.. The boss 429 scoop is cool and intimidating, especially in the rear-view mirror - like the hungry mouth of satan. But I'm thinking for one, without the scoop, it'll be leaner and meaner - and definitely faster @ top end since less wind drag. And also, with the black flames, it might make it all too "busy".

OTH, with the scoop, I can cut out the hood and force feed some air into the xtreme K&N lid I have - it breathes through the top too.. of course, then I'd have to fab up a rain catch or something, right?

To get an idea of what the flames will look like, click here

• Sponsors (?)

Corpsie!
Good to see ya around man!

This is what I'd do: Keep the scoop, paint it black (same as the flames) and put a red (same as the body) flame job on the black scoop. Now THAT would be bad ass. :nice:

So you are adding a 70 nose to it???? :stick:

I am more of a scoop fan than not, but I know how much you covet that arrow shaped hood as well. Personally I find the 429 scoop just a tad to ginormous, I would split the difference and go with the mach 1 type instead or even better a 67' shelby one for something totally different. A shaker kit would be nice too though, and no rain issues.

Where are you gettin the idea I'm putting a 70 nose on it?? But anyway - no way.. 4 headlights is twice the fun ;-) Shakers are cool, but those are even more f-body than a cowl hood (IMO at least).. I'd do a cowl, but as you said, I covet that arrow, and I'd have to do a custom cowl setup in the steel hood to keep the arro... Or buy a 'glass hood, with an add-on cowl, and put my fiberglass skills to work :) Plus I'll save a lil weight - damn, now I just made the choice even harder. However, this project will come after the rearend, and that will prolly take WEEKS longer :-(

Corpse, I keep going over the same argument in my mind... what to do about the hood so i can finally decide on the paint.

One suggestion I got on the board a while back was using the Cougar Eliminator scoop. Same basic proportions of Boss'9 scoop but it is 1" shorter (I think). It's something to consider to keep the mouth of satan but not have it being too busy.
Either that or buy a weber setup, cut a hole in the hood and have the ramtubes poking out :nice: :) J/K

The Swede