To Shake-her Or Not....

Paul G

Jun 10, 2013
I like the look of the 05-09 Stangs with or with out hood scoops. The long sleek nose can look good at times, but at other times it can look baron with that enormous amount of real-estate.

What I don't like is the faux hood scoops. A piece of plastic that does nothing....

I like the idea of a shaker, and realize it may have no real performance gains... but I also have a hard time making the decision to cut a huge hole in the stock aluminum (expensive) hood. I also don't like the fact that I'd have to remove my new Ford Racing strut tower brace which does make a difference on my 05 Rag-top.

to shake her, or not shake her, that is the question.

• Sponsors (?)

I ran a Shaker for quite a while before opting for a ginormous CAI with a FRPP intake manifold and a gang of other go fast parts preparing for a supercharger. If you intend to keep a relatively factory engine, it packs a bit of a punch once you start gaining some speed. Also, the hood scoop I added to cover the hole from the Shaker now allows water into the engine compartment and I have chronic squeaky pulleys, which wasn't a problem before. Not to bias your opinion, but I have one that I'm trying to part with if you so choose to Shake.

I do plan on keeping the engine factory... no supercharger etc...
Currently I have a Air Raid CAI.

Did you have any water problems with the shaker in, or just when you removed it?

Just a thought for you, cold air ALWAYS makes a motor run better. The gains may not be huge, but they are always there be it modded or stock.

If you want to change up the hood without the worry of cutting a hole in it, you may want to look at a different hood all together. Cervinis makes a functional ram air hood. You also would not have to remove your strut to put this on.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cervinis-2005-ram-air-hood.html

coupled with this piece for it, it will actually direct the air to your intake

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-air-kit-ramairhood.html

Just a thought. It may be more than you are looking to spend, but thought I'd put the idea out there.

Be warned, some cars have had issues with the Cervini kit wreaking havoc on the MAF sensor. The air flow can be too turbulent, resulting in improper readings. Certainly not all, but I have encountered some people who had to block the air passage.