Top End Upgrade??

You'll be ok w the 2.5 turn I think it's the one that's labeled quick ratio from Latemodel and the likes, and besides it's already in there. Did you replace outter tierods as well? How are your bj's? With a new rack you get new inner tie rods, outter tie rods are easy to do if you haven't, and replacing the ball joints with big fat moog "problem solvers" will give you a pretty tight front end. All of that in conjunction w a decent set of struts/shocks and springs will give you plenty of feel and handling on the street.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea when I did the suspension myself I got new front control arms with ball joints and outer tie rods I got done too while dowb there. Guess U would have to meet me in person to find out how my bj's are though!!! Ahhahahah. Sorry. Like a child I couldn't resist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Yea when I did the suspension myself I got new front control arms with ball joints and outer tie rods I got done too while dowb there. Guess U would have to meet me in person to find out how my bj's are though!!! Ahhahahah. Sorry. Like a child I couldn't resist

I thought the same thing lol. Almost got excited with all the "how's your rack and bj talk". Thought I accidentally went on a dating website:scratch:

Ok. Just picked up the mustang. Finally got to rip around a bit. Thermostat read 240+ and I said oh better go home. Ideas on next step? Obviously I need to change the cooling system. Is there anything brand specific i should get? What's the best I can get not only the charger on thete but the top end I upgrade to eventually as wrll

sorry- didnt read the entire 5 pages again. Did the shop do anything on the motor or just the rack?

Once the car cools down, check for obvious things first like
no coolant in the overflow
no coolant in radiator
loose hose clamps
busted hoses
cracked overflow or radiator leaking- look under the car for signs of leaking
clutch fan not working- when it is warm it should spin about 1-2 revolutions, when it is cold it should have resistance- maybe 1/2 a revolution. If you can grab it an spin it easily when the car is cold and/or you see the dark fluid leaking from the clutch assemly, or the fan blades are cracked, then time to replace
Thermostat stuck closed- the upper hose will be colder than the lower hose
Water pump- is coolant coming out of the weep hole- bearings are bad
Water pump- if you can grab the shaft and wiggle it, the pump is bad
Is the front air dam still in place

If they did do top end work, then you add to the list. They

didnt burp the air out
screwed up on the install of the heads, intake etc- could be a lot of things

Bottom line drive it as little as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OK I took a group of pics since I havent put any up and I have been told pics are needed for best advice. So here is a bunch of them.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 123
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5019.JPG
    IMG_5019.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5020.JPG
    IMG_5020.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5021.JPG
    IMG_5021.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5022.JPG
    IMG_5022.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5023.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 129
couple more pics

Attachments

• IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5028.JPG
    IMG_5028.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5029.JPG
    IMG_5029.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5032.JPG
    IMG_5032.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5033.JPG
    IMG_5033.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 103
another thing i noticed was some higher levels of exhaust coming out of the rear when it was at higher rpms while ripping around. is that air/fuel ratio problem? I still am a newb remember guys.

Don't know what the interior pics are for but th epictures don't help much.. You need to read my post again and see if any of the items are there

Is your vortech not hooked up? It looks like the belt is off
Is that rust or coolant all over the driver side headers

Ok. Noob time!!! No water in it at all. Coming from the shop I assumed they would have checked that. So filled the water it cooled down. Held hand by exhaust for twenty or 39 seconds. Water!!! Head gasket? Or what do u think?

Thought it was only me... @90lxwhite so was she like getting outta the shower when you were typing....

Edit, sorry didnt read the last part where you were having coolant issues...

Water vapor could be from condensation in exhaust.

Why was there no water in the rad?

Last edited:
Ok. Noob time!!! No water in it at all. Coming from the shop I assumed they would have checked that. So filled the water it cooled down. Held hand by exhaust for twenty or 39 seconds. Water!!! Head gasket? Or what do u think?

Any white smoke? You probably were just seeing the condensation from the exhaust. Start it and let it get up to temp @ idle. As it's idling check for leaks in the engine bay. If you start to get hot id start checking the cooling system. Also before doing anything check the oil. Look for any "milkshake" looking oil. Even a little bit of white means you've probably blown a head gasket. If anything looks/sounds/runs funny...post back and there are more things you can do/check.

Reactions: 1 user
I filed it I seen the pump pumping. Turn the heat on blast? If u mean heater I have no hvac

Yeah but nevermind that part. But when thermostat opens you should see the fluid level drop and the add somemore. Repeat until the fluid level doesn't drop. What did the shop change that they had to drain the radiator? Did you say you got a new one and I missed it?

Nah. Not a new one. Idk if I have a leak or what. But my exhaust
Is dumping steam quick. Why it was empty when I got it back I have no clue. I have out probably 20 miles on it since I bought it and when I boght it the radiator was full. Drove maybe 20 miles then did suspension then drive 5 miles to the shop and when i got it back like I said I saw "smoke" or exhaust out the back when I was rippin it to test drive it and then it was over heating. Checked water and it was empty. Filled it up and temp is great. But I put my hand next to exhaust for 15-20 seconds and its moist. Can see the actual exhaust coming out. So water is going through somewhrr.

Nah. Not a new one. Idk if I have a leak or what. But my exhaust
Is dumping steam quick. Why it was empty when I got it back I have no clue. I have out probably 20 miles on it since I bought it and when I boght it the radiator was full. Drove maybe 20 miles then did suspension then drive 5 miles to the shop and when i got it back like I said I saw "smoke" or exhaust out the back when I was rippin it to test drive it and then it was over heating. Checked water and it was empty. Filled it up and temp is great. But I put my hand next to exhaust for 15-20 seconds and its moist. Can see the actual exhaust coming out. So water is going through somewhrr.

Some mosit is ok. If you have a blown head gasket you'd know and water in the motor you'd know. It'd either run like sht or not at all. If the radiator is filled stand there with the car running w the cap off and look and see if the water is moving. Crawl around check for leaks at the hoses and the radiator itself like around the shoulders and such.

When you say steam out of the tail pipes, u mean like a crap-load? Middle of the day and you're standing back a couple ft you can see white smoke out of the tailpipes? Pull you're dipstick. See if it looks like water and oil mixed. If so, not good.