Toploader 4-speed Transmission Qs

BTFordGuy302

Mar 4, 2016
Hello everyone! I'm new here, I found this site looking for answers on my transmission for my 1985 F-150, you may be asking, why are you asking questions about your truck on a mustang forum? Well, toploader transmissions aren't very common in our trucks and based on my research they are a more common occurrence in these mustangs. My question is if anyone here has experience drilling and tapping a drain hole since I have the one that was equipped without a drain plug. I tried the bottom bolt of the tail shaft, no luck. I've tried sucking the oil out of the filler hole and from the top and I just can't seem to get the tube to reach the bottom of the transmission.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you planning on doing this with it still installed in the truck and drilling and tapping by hand? Well as a machinist I can tell you if you are doing it by hand its possible but will be difficult. You will want to have plenty of wall thickness on your case to allow for proper tapping because you will need a tapered pipe tap so be sure of your thickness. The next thing would be the chance of shavings getting in your gearbox and getting it the gearing. It will be impossible to know if you got all the shavings out.
Unless you got water or other trash in the gearbox you don't really need to drain it dry. How much fluid do you suspect is still in it after you siphon it out? gear lube lasts forever unless your 4 wheeling and submerging it in water and mud you'll probly never have to change it again so is it really worth it?