Traction Control Issue????

opshqq

Mar 12, 2010
Darlington,SC
I have a 2000 Mustang GT Vert. All Stock except it has a newer style(08)
rims... (I don't care for them). Just added 275/35/17 tires on rear. Within
a few miles the beautiful traction control green light came on. The car will not accept gas. I slow the car down kicked it again....same thing.... I figured out it was the traction control after a couple times trying to speed up.... hit the traction control button,,,,,, no more issues..... Now I have to press the button everytime I get in the Stang.... Anyone know what I need to do????
Please help..... The little lady wants to drive it and she's now scared she will be sitting beside the road.

Thanks Stang Guys.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

No, it's not that is will not turn off. It's that after putting the new 275 tires on the rear it's causing the traction control to come on. I have to turn it off everytime I get in the car. I don't know what's causing it....

Thanks

235 front and 275 rear..... Hard to imagine different tire sizes from
front to rear could cause traction control to mess up..... I'm confused! :shrug:

It has nothing to do with 235 or 275, that is the number of how wide your tires are in mm.

The height number is the next number over, can be anything from 30 to 50+, that number refers to the tire to rim distance in mm.

The last number of coarse is the size of your rim.

Most likely the problem is you have 235/40/r17 up front and 275/35/r17. This means that your rear tires are shorter by 5mm then the front, causing them to spin faster then the front. The computer interprets this as wheel spin and engages the traction control.

Go back to the tire shop and have the right size tire put on the car!

I think I see what you are saying now..... I just bought new rims (Hypercoated Bullitt) that are on the way here from American Muscle...... can't wait to put them on.... to I will have them put new tires on the front
..... Maybe I will go 255 on the front..... but 255 does NOT come in a 35..... only 40.....so I would be in the same spot.....

So much bad information. Read the link and understand what those numbers mean before posting again.

Reading and Understanding Tire Sizes

I guess i was a little wrong all these years, :(

Thanks for posting though, now I know! SO basically you want the overall numbers to match? That makes sense to me,

so Aspect ratio + rim = tire height to compare front and rear?

Mine had the same issue, I think it turned out to be a wheel speed sensor in the front reading slower speeds from the rear, I replaced it but also had a tune which deleted the traction control so not sure if that was it or not.

OP - Is your ABS light on?

We just added new rims and tires all the way around.... 275/40/17 with Hypercoated Rims...
No more issues!! Lowered it with H&R sport springs..... looks amazing....on my Vert!!!
Pictures to come..... ;-)
Also went with Bassani Xpipe with Flowmaster 40's.... sings a beautiful note...

We just added new rims and tires all the way around.... 275/40/17 with Hypercoated Rims...
No more issues!! Lowered it with H&R sport springs..... looks amazing....on my Vert!!!
Pictures to come..... ;-)
Also went with Bassani Xpipe with Flowmaster 40's.... sings a beautiful note...

Did you get the cats or not. I don't have cats and I love this set up. Sounds like a friggin dirt track modified!!! LOVE IT:rock:

I would say start with the simplest thing first - check the wiring to the ABS sensors on both rear wheels.

I see you mention the issues receded, but incase they reappear, I installed new stock size tires on my car, and whilst driving around, mainly while taking a curve, the TCS would initiate, and refuse throttle input like you say. Upon inspection, the wire to the sensor was rubbed through.

Simple fix (even though I havent done it yet... haha)

I had to go high-flow cats..... NC law sucks!! If I were still in SC....... no cat's needed.....
But it still sounds great to me. Loving it.

As far as the traction control issue..... it's now NO issue after buying new rims and 275/40/17's all the way around.... but it was still strange that it happened....

Thanks to everyone for the info.....

I was thinking about going long headers..... but after reading on Kenny Bell website..... they say it only adds 7 rwhp over stock headers.... waste of $$ and labor to add them....
Next add on.... maybe throttle body.... not sure... any suggestions would be great??