Traction Woes

ernie meyer

Jul 3, 2015
HI everyone, I'm new to the site and already I have a question.
I have a '68 convt. w/ a 347 and a 4 speed. First I'm still trying to find someone to bend front pipes from header to intermediate pipe ( convt.'s have the flat crossmember and with 2 1/2" pipe they won't just go above the x member w/o banging around. any good pipe benders/ fabricators around Rock. co. N.Y.?
Secondly, no traction! The rear tires spin on take-off too easily. You can't take off fast enough to drag race. I know slicks are probably the best start, but I need more traction on the street too. Any ideas would be appreciated !

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply, the car has a 3.89:1 9" posi., Shelby traction bars and BFG's all around ( 255-60's in rear). I don't know, maybe I just got used to heavier cars. The mustang is pretty light in back. Also being a 4 speed, you want to dump the clutch and go!

I guess I'll move the battery to the back. Does anyone know about mileage on a drag/street radial. I mostly drive on the street, maybe 3000 mi. a year.
Can you get 10,000 mi. on these tires? 5,000 anyway? without any burn-out time? I see you have some nice stuff, you must experience the same issue?