Drivetrain Trans Swap Question...in Reverse

CUAviator

Jan 11, 2015
<<<<<<<>>>>>> (this is my flame spray shield)

Bottom line up front: How much should the total cost be to swap FROM T5 to AOD?

I've a 65 fastback with a crate 306/EFI and T5 with center force clutch. It was fun for a while, but I don't race the car and I really just want to be able to cruise in it - I want to be able to drive it through town and put my arm around my wife or change radio stations or drive to work with a cup of coffee.

So a) how much total am I looking at to purchase an AOD (and all accessories) and have it installed

b) where is the best place to have that done

c) what's the best way to recoup from the T5/clutch/etc?

• Sponsors (?)

<<<<<<<>>>>>> (this is my flame spray shield)

Bottom line up front: How much should the total cost be to swap FROM T5 to AOD?

I've a 65 fastback with a crate 306/EFI and T5 with center force clutch. It was fun for a while, but I don't race the car and I really just want to be able to cruise in it - I want to be able to drive it through town and put my arm around my wife or change radio stations or drive to work with a cup of coffee.

So a) how much total am I looking at to purchase an AOD (and all accessories) and have it installed

b) where is the best place to have that done

c) what's the best way to recoup from the T5/clutch/etc?

Hey there,
I'm new to this. I just bought a 64 1/2 coupe with 2001 cobra engine. Automatic. Will your T5 fit my 4.6L engine?

My car runs perfect. Currently putting in a power booster and dual bowl MC. Converting rear drums to discs.

I would be interested in a swap.

I'm in northern California tho...

Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope I'm not too late.

Thanks,
Joe

I'm one of those Mustangers that would like to have the T5 kit out of your car. ;) Freight shipping from the other side of the country would be rough though. :eek:

To buy an AOD outright and have a shop install it, I would guesstimate a minimum of $2500. Emphasis on the guess part. If you have headers, there may or may not be clearance problems. If your radiator doesn't have a trans cooler, then you'll need to add an external one + fluid lines + installation. You may want to get automatic pedals too..

Hey there,
Will your T5 fit my 4.6L engine?

No, it won't. The modular engines (4.6, 5.0 OHC, & 5.4L) are very different engines. You could probably find a bellhousing or adapter though. A Tremec 3650 is a stronger transmission and will fit a mod motor like yours because that's the only thing Ford put them behind.

The 3650 is not a desirable transplant for the older pushrod engines because it has an integral bellhousing.

I've been horrible about getting back to this thread, I've been in and out to sea for the better part of the past 2 years.
I finally got my car into the shop yesterday to get it looked at - first off, the transmission is a standard Ford 5 speed from a Fox Body (most likely), and 2) it's shot. No trade worthwhile.

swapping to an AOD, as for cost, depends on where you go to get the transmission, and what level trans build you buy. for instance lentech has several levels of builds, the lowest one starts at around $2000 plus shipping, and you still need to buy a torque converter. so you are at $2500 right off the bat. installation is going to run probably $500 depending on the shop you use, and there are going to be minor attendant parts necessary to complete the swap, probably another $250-300, so figure about $3500 roughly to have the swap done.

you can likely do better if you shop around, and do things like buy a reman trans, stock converter, etc. you can probably cut the price to about $2000-2500.