transmission help

64andahalf

Sep 21, 2004
ok so i have a 64 1/2 mustang with the 170 straight 6 and my transmission went out. its the 2.77 non-synchro tranny and i dont have the money to spend 1000$ to get it rebuilt, but i found someone with a more heavy duty 3 speed from behind a 289 and i know i will have to change somethings to get it to work, i just dont know EVERYTHING. if anyone could PLEASE help me with telling me whats all involved i would LOVE you forever. pleeeeasse

• Sponsors (?)

64andahalf said:
see ive heard i need to change the starter (?) and other things. i have no idea why, but i just dont want any surprises

if you do have to change the starter they are only like $28. You can use a newer one too from like a 90 GT if you like, it weighs a lil less. Only other possible thing I can think of is have to have the driveshaft shortened. But your tranny now should be basically a c4, so you should only have to change the bell housing.

Unfortunately, the C4 is an automatic and he has a standard.
64andahalf, from what I remember, the input shaft size, pilot bearing and clutch splines are different for the 289 and 170. Besides those, the increased weight and rotating mass are going to eat up more of the little horsepower you have. The 170 and 144 were the smallest of that family of I6s, which does include the 200 with its capacity to fit both large and small bells. What actually went bad on your tranny? If you're intent on swapping, why not get a T-45 from a newer Mustang?

there are two ways to put the 3.03 top loader 3spd behind your six;

1: find a bellhousing that has the 3.03 bolt pattern for your engine.

2: purchase or make a 2.77 to 3.03 adaptor.

the best way to go though is to swap in a T5. again you need the proper bellhousing adaptor, and in this case there is a 2.77 to T5 adaptor. check out www.fordsix.com for more information.

JB66 said:
Unfortunately, the C4 is an automatic and he has a standard.
64andahalf, from what I remember, the input shaft size, pilot bearing and clutch splines are different for the 289 and 170. Besides those, the increased weight and rotating mass are going to eat up more of the little horsepower you have. The 170 and 144 were the smallest of that family of I6s, which does include the 200 with its capacity to fit both large and small bells. What actually went bad on your tranny? If you're intent on swapping, why not get a T-45 from a newer Mustang?

would i be able to use things from my 2.77 to make it work? i just had a new clutch put in also, would that work?

thanks for all the help guys.

and i would love to get a T-45, but im a teenager on a budget trying to get his daily driver mustang running again so i have a car to drive to and from school everyday.

64andahalf said:
would i be able to use things from my 2.77 to make it work? i just had a new clutch put in also, would that work?

thanks for all the help guys.

and i would love to get a T-45, but im a teenager on a budget trying to get his daily driver mustang running again so i have a car to drive to and from school everyday.

i know how that goes, im 19 and in my first year of college

1st and reverse are just gone. somethings shattered b/c when you turn on the car if you move the shifter over where first SHOULD be, you can hear metal start slinging around inside it

Since you can't drive it, can you pull the tranny and open it up? May be something simple (or not), but unless you can find one locally, I think that 289 tranny is going to be just as hard to put in.

Anything is possible, given enough time, money, and knowledge. The ford six shop has a section on the swap. I'll try and get info for you. If anyone else can help, feel free to jump in, please!