Tried A Cheap Cold Air System

boys stang

Feb 13, 2016
Purchased a cheaper cold air intake system.Installed it on my 95 5.0 and car would not run ,just would not idle.
Took system off after spending 2hrs and thru it in garbage.Has any one had this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

No...but I have a few comments. You bought a "cheaper" CAI which to me sounds like some universal kit from Autozone...without specifics I'm not sure anyone could troubleshoot the problem. I don't know why you threw it in the trash before asking for help. We have no idea what you did. Maybe you missed something in the installation. I'm assuming your car uses MAF so my initial guess would be that the stock MAF sensor and this cheap CAI were mismatched.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just install a drop-in K&N filter and move on to worthwhile mods.
Even that's worth questioning these days. I was watching that :poo:-show 'mighty car mods' the other day and they dyno'd K&N's versus some other junk and an original paper filter, turned out the paper made more power on their pile of junk test car. The CAI was a total dud. So I guess even the K&N might be a waste (not to say it is on any individual car), especially considering its nice habit of oiling up the MAF.

The stock setup is technically a cold air kit. It does suck from the inner fender. Been wondering that myself. I'm willing to bet there is no gain with a cold air kit. Other than having extra space to mount stuff.

Kurt