Turbo

• Sponsors (?)

About 400-500hp. Came across a twin turbo kit (new) under $900. Trying to get some input and ideas. This will be my first ford build. Always done chevys. What do you think?

About 400-500hp. Came across a twin turbo kit (new) under $900. Trying to get some input and ideas. This will be my first ford build. Always done chevys. What do you think?
For reference, an On3 kit is $1500 and a hellion kit is $4000. The quality of the components is vastly different from poor to great quality. You can make a stroker out of a 302 that will make 450 hp using a quality kit, quality heads, and a quality cam.

See the gist here? You can only pick 2 - power, reliability, and budget friendly

I can't for the life of me think of a reliable way to make that kind of power for a grand. The forums are littered with stories about how those 1k dollar kits didn't work out of the box. I agree that a stroker kit is the most reliable way to make that kind of power. It's always on tap and you don't have the extra moving parts that come with a power adder.

If I went with the turbos, should I rebuild the motor to stock (freshen up) and just add the turbos or do I need do some upgrades? Budget is not a issue. Just want to do it right.

Budget should always be an issue, unless you are Donald Trump. That guy doesn't have a budget...

500rwhp is the limit of your short block (block, crank, rods, pistons) If the motor is running well now then leave it be...
You truly get what you pay for and to be honest, a good quality kit should cost 3 or 4 thousand dollars just for the turbo setup. Factor in supporting components, tuning etc and you will be on to something.

Anytime you add power na or otherwise I would start with a fresh short block. Also plan for a good tune and the supporting mods. 84ttop beat me to it while I was typing.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol 84ttop. I am no means donald trump .the reason why I'm leaning to the turbos is its a great kit, the guy spent big money for this kit and decided to go different route. Owes me. Lol. That's why it's so cheap. But if have to upgrade everything I would like to do the stroker kit. Just want a bad assistance pony.

Lol 84ttop. I am no means donald trump .the reason why I'm leaning to the turbos is its a great kit, the guy spent big money for this kit and decided to go different route. Owes me. Lol. That's why it's so cheap. But if have to upgrade everything I would like to do the stroker kit. Just want a bad assistance pony.
Have any details on the kit? Brand of the kit, manufacture of the turbos and size, waste gate and bov sizes and models?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, this is a bottom of the barrel "kit" if you want to call it that. According to their website: cxracing.com: CXRacing Twin Turbo Kit 79-93 Ford FoxBody Mustang 5.0L Dual GT35 900 HP the intercooler is not even included. There isn't a name brand product listed so we can only guess to the quality of the parts included. I would keep looking personally. This kit is listed at less than 1500 dollars brand new, a good quality turbo should cost at least this much alone.
Check out this kit for quality parts: 79-93 Mustang Single Turbo System - 350 to 850 HP

If you are hell bent on using this particular kit, don't bother rebuilding the motor if it is running fine now. Worst case if it comes apart an explorer long block can be had to replace it for only a few hundred dollars

What kind of hp do you think it will produce with the stock with turbo? Motor has 200k on it. Would it be good to freshen it up. It's going to be my son's in a year.

Thanks for the advice. Staying away from the this kit. Going to do 331 stroker kit. One last question can I stay with stock heads and just upgrade the valve spring to match the cam.

Thanks for the advice. Staying away from the this kit. Going to do 331 stroker kit. One last question can I stay with stock heads and just upgrade the valve spring to match the cam.

Plan for new heads. There's no benefit for a bored and stroked motor running on OEM heads, even ported.

The motor will only be as good as your smallest bottle neck.