Turning over fresh 347 stroker torque question

TexxDex

Jul 21, 2023
Hello, so I had my 302 bored over sometime last year to a 347. I started reading around that you don’t want it to bind up (not rlly sure what that means) and that when you turn it over it should be turning over at about 20-30ft lbs. not sure if that’s with the heads and everything installed. I have the intake manifold and heads all bolted down. Cam is installed as well as oil pump. No distributor in it yet. It was very rough to turn at first since it sat for a while. I did grease it down with a rag dampened with wd40. So I doubt there is much rust if at all. I sprayed some fresh wd40 through the spark plug holes just enough to make it smoother since it hasn’t been ran or broken in yet. I got my torque wrench and set it at 20 and it clicks. Working my way up at around 50-52ft lbs it’s turning nicely. I wouldn’t say it’s as easy as gliding your finger over the torque wrench and it spins but it is easy. It’s 50-52lbs easy lol. My question is, is that a alright tolerance?
sorry for the long paragraph, just want all the information given. Almost forgot, no sparks plugs are installed and there is no harmonic balancer on it yet. I have it but I just haven’t put it on. Just heads, Intake manifold, oil pump, and oil pan. My machine shop guy said that it’ll be tight until I break it in but after seeing all these 20ft lbs to turn it over on a fresh rebuild is somewhat concerning!
It is also a roller motor and N/A.
thanks in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I would have squirted oil in the spark plug holes.... Not much a squirt or two...
I " Think " the 20 ft pounds is the crank after install or the short block assembled...

Valve springs, weight of oil, temperature all play a roll.
My race engine has valve springs that are over 700 lbs at max lift. It does not like to roll over. It takes more torque to start it moving than it takes to keep moving.
I had a 4.6L Cobra engine I built.
It was cold in the garage.
By the time I got all the crank mains torqued to spec, the engine would not turn over.
Tore it back down, double checked the spec's, still no joy by the time the last main cap was torqued.
Got a space heater in the shop and TaDa! It rolled over nice and easy.