Under Dash Phantom Heat

aggiemachfive

Jun 13, 2006
Trying to trouble shoot location of unwanted hear coming from under dash. Whenever a/c is off and windows down my legs feel like they are under a heat lamp and center console by calf is hot to touch. Could this be from bad catalytic converters or from a vent door? Hot air is felt coming from lower vents...

• Sponsors (?)

Me I'm a practical guy. As such, +1 on above. Do the cheap and easy stuff first.

As for the possibility of bad cats. How about just take it to a muffler shop and ask if there's a problem? You don't have to have a repair done. Also note, that IF the cats are clogged likely there will be other symptoms. Such as lower gas mileage, Reduced power.

It seems this could also be a heater blend door that's not closing all the way. Does it make a difference if the temperature control is moved? Trying to figure out if the control is actually moving the blend door and if the heat is coming from the heater or some where else.

Another option is to temporarily loop the heater lines in the engine bay. Then if the heat goes away this will confirm the source.

Note, on the 4.6 the heater flow is needed. As such it's a bad idea to bypass the heater core by blocking the lines. It's OK for a short term test.

Drove car three days in a row and heat comes on under dash after 30+ minutes of driving; my toes feel like their being roasted unless I turn AC on. Could this be my heater blend door? Can't find any year specific video, article or part listing...

Another thought, I notice on a lot of Mustangs that the accelerator pedal is close to the transmission tunnel and, over time, a hole can wear in the carpet and insulation letting more heat into the area.