Underhood heat management?

• Sponsors (?)

I put in the mach1 style hood scoop. It's not functional except the hood had a hole cut in to allow fresh air into the engine compartment.

Just doing this seems to have helped cool the engine compartment. When stopped on a hot day, you can actually see the "heat waves" from the hot air comming out of the scoop.

exhaust/header treatments would probably be the most effective modification however. Either by using the header wrap stuff, or getting your stuff ceramic coated.

I have a 2.5 inch cowl hood and header wrap..seems to work pretty well with getting rid of hot air under the hood. because in florida, after i turn off the car, i can see the heat coming out of the cowl hood, so i know that it is doing some good. :flag:

Attachments

• 701022_34_full.jpg
    701022_34_full.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 113
Pakrat said:
Does anyone know if the side slits that the Ring brothers put into their cars fenders are functional? If so, that is probably the most affective method.

You would also have to cut holes in the (structural) inner panels for this to work.......

You could cut out the firewall and move the engine back in order to tilt the radiator forward. Then you could have all the hot air be ducted out the top of the hood like a GT40 or Daytona Coupe. I know, a little involved for this purpose, but the main points like header wrap, cowls, louvers, and scoops have already been covered. :D

Bigger/better fan, fan shroud, more efficient water pump, aluminum heads/intake. coated intake. oil cooler, lower temp thermostat.
Thicker rad. Higher pressure rad cap. Better coolant/water mixture.

Reducing the heat the engine produces in to the bay is another method of heat control.

Yank the rubber piece that goes between your hood and firewall. A couple of washers on the hinge to raise the rear of the hood is an old trick as well. Not a lot more you can do with a stock flat hood. Opening the hood on my friend's 1966 with a stock hood was like opening an oven.

Engine-5.jpg

I put dynomat in the engine compartment, which if nothing else, keeps the heat out of the car and from roasting your feet. I've also got a dual electric fan and transmission cooler, and I wish I'd gotten ceramic coated headers too.

yeloxr7 said:
You would also have to cut holes in the (structural) inner panels for this to work.......

Yeah, unfortunately you would. I haven't been able to see a good inner engine shot of their cars though to see if it all show or go.

Since I am now going to modify my car in the rebuild I have been trying all kinds of wacky and wild things with photoshop, for example chopping in the simillar (and I assume functional) types of vents from an Astin Martin fender. I always thought the way the Ring Bros did it on a 65 was a little much because of the indentions on that model, but in 69 it was no longer recessed and I think it would look pretty cool. I may even mock a spare fender to see how it looks for real.

Maybe it's just me but when I saw the 86' Astin Martin in The Living Daylights something about it just so reminded me of a 69' sportsroof. Maybe it was just the 4 headlights and fastback style tail, I don't know but I felt a connection.

It is a street car, I know, but 40 year old production cars most likely have room for improvement. I am leaning towards a louverd 67 shelby hood. I'm just curious if that hood came from engineers or the design studio? The louvers are not far back from the scoop openings. Scoop should be in a high pressure area and the louvers in a low pressure area, but it seems they would see similar pressure. The deluxe hood looks to me to have the openings in the right place to draw air out. A cowl hood would move heat out at low speed, and move cool air in as speed increased. I guess I'll have to try cc.com. They know their stuff, but don't seem like the most friendly group. I have not been in an English class in 20 years so I hope they don't ban me for punctuation, spelling or grammar.

I have a functioning hood scoop and ceramic coated long tube headers and clutch fan w/shroud. It's still hot under there, but not blast furnace hot. At the track over the weekend the temp was in the mid 90's and very humid and the car was running about 200 degrees after each run which is about normal for my car with that kind of weather condition.