V6 Exhaust? HELP!

britt21

Jan 11, 2006
Ive asked several people that I know about exhaust on v6.
Some people say it sounds terrible, But others say it doesnt.

I have a v6 Mustang, and I wanna make it louder - But not to where it sounds bad. And if it does sound terrible - Then I wont do it at all..

What are the best products or anything else that I would need to know??

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

There are many products, but I would say go with dual exhaust. I am getting a shop to do true dual 2.25" manderl bent exhaust with flowmaster 40 deltas. It's loud, sounds good, and gives good gains without killing low-end torque. At idle sounds close to a V8, but once you step on it, trained ears will know the difference easily. Nothing can be done to a V6 make it sound like a V8.
Offroad X pipe would make it louder, but I think it's too raspy for my tastes, plus if you live in an emmission controlled state, you will not pass inspection and many shops wont install it. X mid pipes are louder, H pipes are deeper sounding, but a V6 doesn't need either one.

Well, 2.5" was $480 after taxes at a good muffler shop, but 2.25 should be somewhat lower in cost, cause it's a smaller pipe. Some people have gotten it done for $200 at a good shop. Do NOT goto Minike or shops like that, they want to get in and out as fast as possible, and cut corners and sometimes your left with an exhaust leak and problems. Shop around, get a few quotes from shops (most if not all do quotes free, and Mustangs are done often so they can probably tell you off the top of their head).

I installed the MAC catback system on my '96 V6, and I absolutely love it. Even with my stupid Y-pipe with the cats, it has a nice low-tone rumble, and anything below 2,000-2,500 RPM does sound like a GT. Above that, it sounds pretty good still.

I'm waiting to have an off-road H-pipe put on, and see how it goes from there... I know it will sound better. I'm just having trouble finding a shop to make a custom one for me, since MAC doesn't make one that will fit the y-pipe catback system.

I have MAC Flowpaths on a GT take off system and it sounds amazing. I had an H-pipe installed to keep the tone down, but I still caught the attention that one sleeping Police Interceptor(cop said he "heard" me accelerating) :D .
It's quiet at idle, but sounds good at WOT. Supposedly it pretty loud, not that you can tell from the driver's seat(I have to go by what my friends and that cop have said).

My roommate has Flowmaster 40's on his '99 GT. Believe the stories you hear about droning Flowmasters. I almost got a headache going to a Ford & Mustang show 2 hours away with him a couple weeks ago(he doesn't believe in using the radio).

Supposedly Ravin mufflers that can be purchased Midas are the most aggressive you can buy. I got a free pair from a friend, but the ones I have are too big to fit on any of the 6 Mustangs that belong to me, my sister, and my 2 roommates, so I can't personally vouch for the sound.

Keep in mind our engines are pushrods, so they make a nice sound. It's not going to be a V8 sound, but it's not raspy like an OHC import.