V6 mods & emissions tests

I am preparing to do my first real modifications on my '98 V6; I was planning on Flowmaster dual exhaust, cold air intake, V6 headers, and a chip. My only problem is I am paranoid that I'll spend the money, then find out my car no longer can pass an emissions test. Some people at the local Ford garage have told me it will not pass if I do this. I can see a lot of you have modified your V6's, have you had any problems with this down the road? Yes, I admit I have driven my car basically stock except for a K&N for 4.5 years.. sorry.. with the new 2005 V6 leaving me even further in the dust I figured it's time to do something, but this is my only car so if modifying it will not let me pass the tailpipe sniffer test then forget it. Has anyone else had any trouble with this?

• Sponsors (?)

The Flowmaster exhaust shouldn't be a problem, and neither should the cold air intake (CAI). You really dont need new headers, as the headers on the 94-98 stangs are suffecient untill you really start putting down some serious mods (intakes, heads, cam, ect). The only thing that I could foresee as being a problem is the chip. It really depends on what kind you chip you're planning on getting and what program is on it.

it should pass, if you do get a chip get one where you can turn off the program and have it reset to original programming, this will insure it to pass. Now if you want to be able to really program things, go and get a computer tuner instead It'll cost you about 350-400 bucks, but it's fun to mess with and you can download other programs to use on your car that people have found works! Also, you can tune it up, down, back to original, or whatever you want. It's fun.

Joining this thread late...

I've modded my 94 V6 somewhat. I have a C&L MAF meter, 3/8 in phenolic spacer, true h-pipe and a GT take-off dual exhaust. I also have a JMS chip which, among other things, changes the tranny shift points and advances the timing to 14 degrees. The tranny's also been rebuilt to 4R70W specs. I pass California emissions with no problems at all. My emissions are at the far low end of the spectrum, and I don't try to cheat at all.

Do you know what kind of emission checks you have in Oregon? I've heard of some states plugging into the computer, and failing you if you have ANY mods at all.

I personally don't think the headers are going to help you that much. I think you would have better results with a new MAF meter from Pro-M or C&L (Pro-M is better) The dual exhaust will help, especially if you have your Stang converted to true dual exhaust (there's a kit for this). Are you having the chip custom-made for you, or are you buying a pre-made chip like a SuperChip? A pre-made one won't give you as many gains as a custom one.

Actually what I'm going to do is go to a local speed shop and have them turn the wrenches for me.. I have next to no mechanical abilities. Also I have no tools and nowhere to work! I'll ask them if it would be better to get headers or a mass airflow meter. I do plan on getting true dual exhaust; I have seen the kit for that. I want to get that with a Flowmaster setup. As for the chip, I'm getting the one that lets you tweak it around with the computer control.
It makes me feel a lot better that you can pass with all the mods on your car in California.. I don't know what exactly the standards are for Oregon, but they don't hook up to your computer. Tailpipe only. And I know California's standards are higher than Oregon's, so if you can pass, then I should be fine.
Finally, thanks to everyone who has responded to this.. just about everyone here has more experience than me with modifying, and your advice really helps!