Very tired of my injected 5.0, going carbed ? What U think ??

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 HOtrain said:
I dont know about you, I'm not rich by any means but I built my car because I enjoy it like a hobby. I didnt have this 581hp 418 built to get gas mileage. I love driving the car, when the gauge is empty the friggen thing needs gas, end of story, wether it be 8 or 20 mpg. Just me though.
mike. :p
I didn't say not to do it because of fuel economy, I just said if you drive it 15-20,000 miles, the extra fuel costs will offset the initial savings. I'm just thinking long term.

There are pro's and con's of both EFI and Carb.

Carbed it the cheaper way to go, alot more simple, saves weight, saves space, cheap to tune if you know how. However, they do lack the effeciency of EFI. Carbs don't work very well with turbo's, or superchargers unless they are the traditional roots "blower" type. They are not as accurate at metering fuel, which leads to worse gas milege and decreased drivability. EFI is a better system, but it will cost you.

I believe the old "carbs make more power" theory is layed to rest with the advent of all the intake/TB/Maf combos. IMO a carb also devalues a car, this is not the 70's.
Part of the beauty of owning a 5.0 is it's simple Fuel injected setup, i realize you are having problems, you may need to get it to a reputable shop.

What's a good carb cost? 600 bucks or so, then you need a fuel pump?
I'd bet that much money could fix your car.

dastang2 said:
600 for a carb. what are you looking at. i got mine for 250 plus the intake for 150

That's why i added the question mark, because i really didn't know. Still, 400 bucks i'm sure a speed shop can fix this guys car for that much.

i too am wrestling with the carburator idea. my 302 uses a quart per week-when i take it out. i am building a 351 and already have everything to make my car carburated (package deal).

i would love to stay efi but it is waayyy expensive. i've even been looking at 93 yellow se drop tops to avoid the decision.

Hey "200xp8" , You got a real good point there. You really got me thinking again about going to a reputable speed shop and get it checked out. I will give my EFI one last chance. The they dont know what the problem is or cant find it, i will surely go with a real nice carb setup. Plus i like it siple and clean, thats what made me think about going carbed anyways.

Thanks alot guys for all the help and feedback. I swear i dont know what i would do without stangnet. (probably be at "Corral" :p )

jk. Thanks guys :nice: :nice: :nice:

jones said:
Hey "2000xp8" , You got a real good point there. You really got me thinking again about going to a reputable speed shop and get it checked out. I will give my EFI one last chance. The they dont know what the problem is or cant find it, i will surely go with a real nice carb setup. Plus i like it siple and clean, thats what made me think about going carbed anyways.

Thanks alot guys for all the help and feedback. I swear i dont know what i would do without stangnet. (probably be at "Corral" :p )

jk. Thanks guys :nice: :nice: :nice:

Jones, if you live in Miami there's got to be shops around there. I think the steeda shop should be pretty close. Also try to get it to a mustang shop, not just a speed shop. There's probably a southeast forum in the stangnet list, post asking where to go.

90mustangGT said:
There are pro's and con's of both EFI and Carb.

Carbs don't work very well with turbo's, or superchargers

Check out smockdoileys combo here stangnet, 517rwhp/570rwt with a carb and pro-charger. Both peaks come below 5k. There was also a feature car in MM&FF with a basic 306 with a turbo that was running mid 9's at 145.

Gearbanger 101 said:
[/B] as well as a good running EFI system, but as I stated earlier all that goes out the window when temperature and atmospheric pressure come into play. You're always under the hood jetting and tuning for these things to keep up with the EFI car that does it on it's own. I'd put my car up against any similarly built Carbureted car on a warm balmy night! :nice:

I jet my carb once a year on the dyno and don't touch it until the temps drop below 65 degrees or so. Then we're talking about richening it 1 jet size to keep it from going too lean. If you jet right initially you don't have to be jetting at the track.

EMW150 said:
I jet my carb once a year on the dyno and don't touch it until the temps drop below 65 degrees or so. Then we're talking about richening it 1 jet size to keep it from going too lean. If you jet right initially you don't have to be jetting at the track.

Air temp when mine was dynoed was around 55 degrees. 90 primary, 98 secondary jet. Had to change power valve and air bleeds to richen it up. I'm kinda lazy and dont think I will jet mine at all :rlaugh: :rlaugh: I will give up the 10 or so hp in hot weather.
Mike.

Ok, I cant belive i got my car started today. I started messing with the relay wires today and i bridged the power wire to the fuel pump then i put the same wire to the injectors wire , and whalaa! i started the car and took it for a test drive. I am so happy right now its not even funny :D

The car would not idle though. I had to keep my stepping a little on the gas or else it would turn off. So, IT HAS TO BE THE RELAYS RIGHT. I was messing with the Fuel pump relay only, there was another relay next to it that might be bad too.

So what do you guys think? It has to be the relay right?

Thanks..................Jones :lol:

i don't think so but that is most likely your idle problem. you may also have a loose connection or a short somewhere inline with the fuel pump relay or injectors to add to the idle