Drivetrain Vibration Issue

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
While going down the highway at say 70-80mph, I get a vibration that happens when I hold the clutch in. Could the driveshaft be unbalanced? I've had other vibration issues related to the drums/rotors, but those are now fixed. Ialso get a very slight rythmic vibration while cruising. It is very slight, but with the clutch depressed the vibration is definately becomes more pronounced.

• Sponsors (?)

Two simple things to check,.
1.) Transmission mount - oil soaked torn or loose bolt. Look that the crossmember rubber mounts as well.
2.) Dogbone vibration damper weight missing from the differential. it is one of the things that mistakenly gets removed in a futile effort to make the car lighter.
380px-Ford_8.8_w_damper_weight.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Dogbone still attached and trans mount is perfect. No oil or play in bushings. Funny how while traveling at say 60 mph I get a vibration with clutch pressed in. Could the ds be out of balance? U-joint are good. I tried to rotate the ds 180° but it seems the same. It's an aluminum Ford Motorsports ds.

I've seen the factory steel ds do that but not the FMS aluminum ones. Not to say it could be the ds. Has it ever been dropped/dented/drag raced? Could be tweaked? Do you hear any noise along with vibration? Could be trans related. Any leakage out of the rear of the trans?

As far as I know, it has never been dinged or damaged. No trains leaks of any kind. Trams shifts perfectly and it's very solid. Mounts look great too. Not really a sound as much as a sensation. Very slight rhythmic vibration while traveling on the highway. Then if the clutch is depressed, it seems less rhythmic and more constant, but only when the clutch is in.

As far as I know, it has never been dinged or damaged. No trains leaks of any kind. Trams shifts perfectly and it's very solid. Mounts look great too. Not really a sound as much as a sensation. Very slight rhythmic vibration while traveling on the highway. Then if the clutch is depressed, it seems less rhythmic and more constant, but only when the clutch is in.
I rarely reply to posts, many on here are more experienced than I and have helped me resolve issues just by looking here. If it were my problem first thing to is rebalance the rolling stock ( wheels and tires) if issue still present rebalance the drive shaft. That will eliminate the most likely causes

Reactions: 1 user