victor 5.0 vs. trick flow r box

robo

Jan 2, 2004
cleveland ohio
hello all. i'm building a high rpm (7000 or so) high compression (12:1) na engine for my 91 hatch. i'm using a pair of fully ported trick flow r heads that should flow 325 on the intake (they will be flow tested in a week or so as they are at the machine shop getting the guides sized and the springs set up).

the cam is a cam motion 230 236 .600 lift (ground for a set of gt-40 heads that flow 225). i'll most likely be replacing the cam in the spring but i might as well try it with the bigger heads.

i have a complete aeromotive fuel system with the billet rails.

car has a c-4 with a transbrake. i got it slightly used and it is fully worked over. dude had just about 4000 in it and i bought it for 1000. all ati stuff. i think the stall speed is relatively high but in talking with ati, the tech recommended that i try the converter and if i'm not happy send it back for tuning.

4:10 gear drag radial.

the car is a 95% race 5% street car and will be dyno tuned when done.

my question is this: does anyone have an opinion on intakes for this type of engine? i'm leaning toward an edelbrock victor 5.0 but a good friend has an "In" with trick flow and i can get a good deal on a trick flow piece. i'm thinking the "r" box style would be good for what i'm doing.

does the edelbrock clear the stock hood?

does the trick flow clear the stock hood?

what do you guys feel is the better all around piece?

what does one give up as opposed to the other?

any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

thanks, rob

• Sponsors (?)

The regular R might clear the stock hood with no spacer, but its definitly tight. With whatever intake you use you should have them port matched to the R heads. I also think that cam is really going to hold you back. What size is the motor and what are you using in the bottom end?

I like trick flow stuff, i switched from the R to the box R and didnt really notice a difference good or bad and i made an excel sheet with dyno numbers i got from somewhere that was a Vic 5.0 vs. a TFS regualr R. The TFS made more power down low and the Vic made like 10 more peak HP. Also something to know is that i had to mill .060" off each side of my lower R intake to get it to sit right on my heads. My engine builder said that he has also milled a few R lowers to get them where they need to be.

The regular R might clear the stock hood with no spacer, but its definitly tight. With whatever intake you use you should have them port matched to the R heads. I also think that cam is really going to hold you back. What size is the motor and what are you using in the bottom end?

I like trick flow stuff, i switched from the R to the box R and didnt really notice a difference good or bad and i made an excel sheet with dyno numbers i got from somewhere that was a Vic 5.0 vs. a TFS regualr R. The TFS made more power down low and the Vic made like 10 more peak HP. Also something to know is that i had to mill .060" off each side of my lower R intake to get it to sit right on my heads. My engine builder said that he has also milled a few R lowers to get them where they need to be.

engine is a 347 stroker. probe kit with a steel crank and the good h beam rods. the kid was bought about seven years ago and i think they called it a "street fighter" or something. (it was the top end stroker kit anyhow) the block is stock but i had the shop machine in program engineering billet 4 bolt mains. (looking back i should have just bought a dart block to start with) block is prepped nicely, torque plate honed, align bored, 28 oz. good canton 7 qt. oil pan with crank scraper etc.....

oh yeah, the intake will be fully port matched. i've had to cut material off the bottom of intakes to get the proper alignment as well.

the cam is obviously not the right cam for the new combo. i may have to rethink whether or not it's a waste of time to fool with it at first or just have cam motion grind the proper one to start......as i type this i'm thinking i might just be wasting my time with the small cam.

i wish i could find a race intake to fit under a stock hood as my car has the original paint and i like the stealthy look of a stock hood.

thanks for the reply and suggestion.

anyone else have any input?