Vortech?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Hi so I'm interested in possibly getting a vortech, the new V-3 si black, since my dreams of a KB are more than likely never gonna happen. So this version is the more user friendly and more commonly used correct? Does one version over the next say v1 or v2 in this case make more boost or do these three all make about the same just at different rpm ranges? If I remember correctly you can change out the pulley to gain more boost is this right? Also what are the thoughts on the intercooled versions is this overkill or worth the extra bucks. So I'm no track car, just a weekend streeter and car shows etc. car has been garaged for last 13 years and it's time to bring her back to life. Has common bolt ons on stock 91 block. F-303 with 1.7s. Recently picked up a tubular GT40 upper and lower with c&l 76 cal. For 24lb inj. along with 24lb inj. I remember c&l being a big name back in the day but hear they aren't great but grabbed all that with rear upper and lower control arms for 500 so couldn't pass. In the process of choosing some aluminum heads stuck between a couple. Sorry for long write up.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a supercharger guru.

The 24lb injectors seem small for a supercharged set up.

What horsepower level are you trying to reach ?

Hi so I'm interested in possibly getting a vortech, the new V-3 si black, since my dreams of a KB are more than likely never gonna happen. So this version is the more user friendly and more commonly used correct? Does one version over the next say v1 or v2 in this case make more boost or do these three all make about the same just at different rpm ranges? If I remember correctly you can change out the pulley to gain more boost is this right? Also what are the thoughts on the intercooled versions is this overkill or worth the extra bucks. So I'm no track car, just a weekend streeter and car shows etc. car has been garaged for last 13 years and it's time to bring her back to life. Has common bolt ons on stock 91 block. F-303 with 1.7s. Recently picked up a tubular GT40 upper and lower with c&l 76 cal. For 24lb inj. along with 24lb inj. I remember c&l being a big name back in the day but hear they aren't great but grabbed all that with rear upper and lower control arms for 500 so couldn't pass. In the process of choosing some aluminum heads stuck between a couple. Sorry for long write up.

24lbs wont due unless you plan on running low boost and a bandaid fmu to peg the fuel pressure regulator to compensate for the lack of injector.

The differences in models is their efficiency, impellers/turbines, and oil system. V3 was self contained and V1/V2 you had to tap into the oil pan.

I'm no expert but @TOOLOW91 and @84Ttop know some stuff about this.

24lbs wont due unless you plan on running low boost and a bandaid fmu to peg the fuel pressure regulator to compensate for the lack of injector.

The differences in models is their efficiency, impellers/turbines, and oil system. V3 was self contained and V1/V2 you had to tap into the oil pan.

Gotcha well I just got them in a bundle with my intake. if I do go with a vortech then I'll probably upgrade both my injectors and mass air to something bigger.

V1,v2,v3,v7 Determine the gear and bearing pack inside of the blower . They're are different series . S,si,Sci,t,Ti,YSi

V3 blowers are self contained units that require no plumbing for oil feed or return

V2 units are similar to v1s but have a helical cut gear set in them making them quieter .

V1 were the original units with straight cut gears.

V7 has a straight cut gear cluster with race bearings found in the Ysi .

As far as fueling goes 42lb injectors , pro m meter , 340lph pump and you should be set .

Any of the s trim variants from v1-v3 will make you very happy and suit your needs. You can pulley the blower and or crank to make more or less pressure depending on goals and limitations .

Check the blower sticky thread for any more info .

Reactions: 1 users
An intercooler isn't required but anytime you compress air it creates more heat. So cooling the intake charge is always beneficial. I've hand an SN93, V1 and V2 set-ups, never had any of them intercooled but was debating meth injection.
Ideally your going to need a tune of some type, you could have a shop burn you a chip or use some form of diy tuner.

I can attest that 24 lb inj are not enough. I'm running 30 lb on my setup making 10psi boost and I have to bump the fuel pressure up a tad to squeeze the extra fuel out of them. I do agree with the other recommendation of 42 lb.

However, my 30's are serving well even though they're maxed. The condition actually lets me fine tune my WOT A/F mixture by simply raising or lowering the fuel pressure. I'm running a PLX wideband so I know exctly where I'm at. Since mine are just barely maxed, I can raise or lower A/F to conditions by adjusting FP. I'm at 11.8 AF WOT or there about at 52psi FP (vacuum unhooked). If I want richer, I just turn up the pressure, or leaner, lower the pressure. Actually I dont even bother unhooking the vacuum to adjust pressure anymore. Quarter turn on the adjuster either way then test drive to see the change.

I'm not saying this is the best way of doing things but it works for me. Now, If I had 42 lb injectors running at 80 percent duty, could I still fine tune WOT A/F by adjusting FP? Or would a reflash of chip be needed to fine tune?

Vortech V3, 47lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, CX racing air to air intercooler, running on a Megasquirt DIYPNP ecu so no need for mass air. Tuned by @a91what . :burnout:
2017-05-19 16.29.56.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Damn that's a nice set up. Not real familiar with the megasquirt or what it does.
It's a standalone ECU that replaces your stock ecu. It allows you to tune the car with a laptop like the newer OBDII vehicles instead of an add on chip to the old ecu. Much more versatile too. I can set up launch control, flat foot shifting, shift lights, boost control and tons of other stuff with programmable outputs. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can buy an MS2 unassembled kit for less than $500. Or you can buy them ready to run. Steve ( @a91what ) is the resident expert on these ecu's and he has a thread where you can get plenty of help.

It's a standalone ECU that replaces your stock ecu. It allows you to tune the car with a laptop like the newer OBDII vehicles instead of an add on chip to the old ecu. Much more versatile too. I can set up launch control, flat foot shifting, shift lights, boost control and tons of other stuff with programmable outputs. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can buy an MS2 unassembled kit for less than $500. Or you can buy them ready to run. Steve ( @a91what ) is the resident expert on these ecu's and he has a thread where you can get plenty of help.
Cool I'll have to look into it. So with this you don't need a mass air meter though? Also with that cxracing intercooler do you not need the Anderson power pipe? What made you run the vortech with the cxracing intercooler vs just getting the cxracing turbo kit with intercooler? Just for my own knowledge bc I've looked into their single and twin turbo kits. Thanks man your motor setup looks awesome

Cool I'll have to look into it. So with this you don't need a mass air meter though? Also with that cxracing intercooler do you not need the Anderson power pipe? What made you run the vortech with the cxracing intercooler vs just getting the cxracing turbo kit with intercooler? Just for my own knowledge bc I've looked into their single and twin turbo kits. Thanks man your motor setup looks awesome
No, car is actually speed. I know it sounds like you're going backwards to older technology, but being able to easily adjust fuel and ignition settings makes it easier to tune being speed density, unlike the stock '87-'88 speed density ecu's. You can set it up to run mass air if you want to though.
The CX racing kit comes with it's own version of a power pipe. I did all the work myself and supercharger is an easier install. I didn't want to deal with all the exhaust plumbing of a turbo. I know most guys don't intercool these Vortech kits, but I like the cooler intake temps, the kit wasn't too expensive and it's different and looks really cool ;)

Reactions: 1 user